Woman to be given 40 lashes over teddy bear

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Patsy Stone, Nov 27, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

I'm pretty sure this has already been mentioned in current events.

2. Nailpolish <3 Hollow Bastion Committee

^ yep i saw it.

but they are soo fuxed. its a fuxing teddy bear. GAWD.

3. the muffin man Banned

Well,since it's their religion,you shouldn't consider it like that.I'm a christian,and i DO think it's wrong,but as stated above:equal treatment.That includes respecting each other.

4. SplitOverload Chaser

Those few extemists make the whole religion look bad.

The kids are 100% in fault. Depends, are they Sudanese as well?

5. Antidote Façade

XD I've been reading about that! It said in the paper it was because of a secretary, though. Then it also said today that the civillians are protesting for her to be killed over it.

The things people'll do for their religion. Christ. (no pun intended xD)

pretend that didn't happen, Mish :3?

6. Mish smiley day!

I heard on the radio that she's been given a presidential pardon and allowed back into the UK. She got back today, actually.

She says she'll now be looking for a new job... lmao. :3

7. Darkcloud Word of advice: Let the wookie win. He's Chuck N

...hmm...somebody there needs a hug...and a teddy bear named after the person who took offense to this to spite him/her.

8. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

Cultural ignorance on the teacher's part is to blame though. If you're planning to move abroad and teach it would not only be professional but just in your general educational interest to learn the basics of a culture. It wouldn't have even required effort: Allah and Muhammad is quite ****ogous to the Christian God and Jesus, or Buddhism and...well the Buddha-- it really ends up becoming general world knowledge that can be acquired with a simple key stroke on Google.

Blaming the children isn't necessarily the right thing to do either. They've grown up in a culture and lifestyle where the name is common. Since they are also young their grasp of the spirituality of the name in the context of their religion isn't fully mature. In a sense the children really didn't know better-- the basis being that the little boy who decided on the bear's name wanted it named after him as opposed to the prophet. If he was popular with his peers, it's no wonder that a vote would be unanimous.

9. Jade Rhade King's Apprentice

I disagree with the statement that it is ****ogous to the Christian God or Jesus... children are named Jesus constantly, so it would not be considered offensive for a stuffed animal to be named as such.

I think these parents need to develop a sense of humor, or, if not, at least some tolerance to those not of their religion. It's frankly silly to criminally punish someone because of ignorance. This is no longer the middle ages, children. We need to grow up.

10. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

Um, I was referring to learning about other cultures and how easy it is to learn enough of the basics (i.e. religion) so as to not to easily offend anyone.

11. Jade Rhade King's Apprentice

Ah, my mistake. Apologies. I love how KH-V partial-blocks the word "****ogous" XD

12. HOSPITAL STAT! i knock tits

Yes, but does this include knowing the harm of naming a toy after Muhammad? Especially if the name, like you said, is quite common.

I was saying the extremists seemed to take facts out of context, I don't particularly recall only pointing fingers at the kids.

You just further justified my point with the last part. No one had intention of naming the bear because of the religion itself, but merely because of the kid who had the same name. Anything regarding religion has only been shoved into the story/misinterpretated by the extremists themselves. Because from the start it had nothing to do with it.

As a result, it seems like they're making a whole fuss over very little.

13. ♥AL90♥ Hollow Bastion Committee

Why is it about where I live? Where do you live?
    I heard about this. It shocked me to learn about this. I thought it was so dumb though.

14. Riku08 Banned

here is my opinion

that is seriously F*!@ed up

15. MARIExBRIARWOOD Destiny Islands Resident

I think a policy on how foreign countries punish visitors from other countries should be made.

Imprisonment & fines would be fine. But is it fair if someone from the UK gets lashes over there where as someone over there would never even get in trouble for blasphemy in the UK? I could understand if she killed someone and it was a death sentence or something on her, or if she was trafficking drugs or something that would be obviously wrong and against the law. But the teacher didn't know any better.

So as I said before, a policy should be made. However, that would be very hard seeing as there are so many different countries and so many policies would need to be made for each and every one.

16. Repliku Chaser

Sadly, the point of going to another country is that you should adhere to their rules and such. However, in some countries, foreigners that are there to help get troubled because of friction and hatred of the person's culture. It can happen anywhere when you get some prejudiced extremists around.

However, I do think prejudiced extremists ought to also be locked up in psyche wards because they are nucking futs. It won't happen but it's a dream. In the end, this case is total BS and hopefully that woman gets to leave and just say good riddance and if this is the way that Sudan wants to treat people who come to help, it's a real torn issue for people of other countries to want to bother with them. The most disappointing thing though is that there obviously wouldn't be people there to help in the first place if it wasn't for the fact the people aren't doing the work themselves. The children need a teacher, so if they don't like foreigners, they ought to obviously get doing the work themselves or shut up and cope. This woman was clearly not malicious or meaning to affront anything and it's always a let down when good people get screwed over by idiot fanatics.

17. Valium Hollow Bastion Committee

That is just plain stupid if someone called one of there teddy bears jesus would anyone care..... no one to my knowledge would so why should Muhammed be any different

18. Crumpet In your shadow, I can shine!

Well it was the kids that named it ... not the teacher, but the kids shouldn't be punished either

I mean I know there are rules there but you shouldn't be given 40 lashes because of a misunderstanding, its not fair really, I mean if someone from there country named a teddy Jesus, we wouldn't huss or fit, we would probably be happy that they thought of our religion.

Maybe they did find it insulting but like that kid said, he only wanted it to be named Muhammend because thats his hame, but I don't believe that kids parents got in trouble,

I'm with the teacher on this one

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.