Win 7 Sleep Question

Discussion in 'Technology' started by The Twin, Nov 21, 2012.

1. The Twin My, what a strange duet

Here's a curveball for you guys that Google just couldn't find an answer to.

This is only the second day this has happened. I have a Win 7 64-bit laptop, and to access the internet I have a wireless dongle that plugs into a USB port. Since I'm in and out of my apartment all the time, I tend to just close the lid and put the laptop to sleep. It has never given me any problems when I do that.

The last couple of days, when I wake the laptop from standby and log back in, after the dongle connects me to the internet again, I can't load deviantART. I can load my mailbox, Tumblr, here, Pinterest..but not deviantART. I'm not entirely sure why, but the page will take over 2 min. to load before finally spitting a Err.101 - Connection Reset at me. All of the other pages load within seconds.

Like I said, it just seems to be deviantART, which is a little frustrating as now is a busy commission month for me. I've tried using different browsers, and I get this same result in IE, FF, Chrome, and Rockmelt. Clearing my cache from both in browser and Control Panel has not helped. It's not blocked here in the land of rice: I've been able to get on before, and I do get on after a hard restart of the laptop. I've tried turning off sleep settings for the dongle but there doesn't seem to be any. Ejecting the dongle via "Safely Remove Hardware" has not worked either. The only "fix" I have is to restart the laptop after it wakes, which I think is unnecessary.

Any ideas why it's doing this, and to just one website?

2. Amaury Legendary Hero

If it's just that one website, then it's the website, not you.

3. The Twin My, what a strange duet

Maybe, but it still doesn't explain why it has trouble after awaking from standby which feels like it's something on my end.

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

Well, it's probably an illusion.

5. Misty gimme kiss

6. The Twin My, what a strange duet

I gave that link a peek, and the network I connect to through my dongle already is set as my home network.

Did a full virus scan, turned up clean.

And this morning, even though I had just turned the computer on instead of putting it to sleep like I had been, it still wouldn't load deviantART. But once again, every other site loads for me (except Facebook, but that's blocked over here without a VPN, which I'm still in the process of upgrading). And no, I didn't need the VPN to get onto deviantART before.

ETA: I had to do a restart of my computer after something updated, and it still won't load the website. Now it's gone from a mild annoyance to a bit of a major one. ETA 2: After a second restart I was able to access DA. So that's the initial boot, plus two more restarts. I think I'll run another full scan and see what, if anything, turns up, but I'm still miffed and stumped.

7. Misty gimme kiss

Oh, you're using a VPN?

8. The Twin My, what a strange duet

Kind of sort of. I have a VPN (Freegate) so I can access blocked sites like Facebook, Twitter and Youtube over here, as well as sites that aren't available here (like Netflix, so I can catch up on Doctor Who and stuff). But since the 18th National Congress started here, security has been tight, and I have not been able to get it to work for almost a month. I did upgrade it today but it still won't connect.

And it's one of the better free ones, lord knows I wasn't going to pay for one that would still be taken down like this one seems to have.

But otherwise I'm not using it right now, simply because it is not working.