Awaiting Feedback Why Rep Should Return: Our Posts Are Worth More Than a Like

Discussion in 'Feedback & Assistance' started by DigitalAtlas, Jul 29, 2013.

?

Do you want Reputation to make a return?

1. Yes

34 vote(s)
    63.0%
  2. No

9 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. I don't care

11 vote(s)
    20.4%
  1. Stardust Chaser

Just a quick note guys, if you'd like to discuss alternative methods to this add-on, please make a new thread about the alternative in question so we've got all the discussions organized separately. Thanks!

2. Misty gimme kiss

Sorry to inafterthelock but I will shoot him a message.

Additionally, as Lexi said if you guys come up with another suggestion as to a replacement to the reputation system please do post, but if I knew of any other similar features I'd of mentioned them. To my knowledge, Post Ratings is the only one.

3. Hayabusa Venomous

I JUST FREAKING FINISHED READING ALL THE POSTS

But maybe I could just put in my $0.02 anyway. All hypothetical, since I have no understanding of how the forums work :>

I liked the Rep system because it meant I didn't have to start an actual conversation to tell a person "HEY, this post of yours was good." And it was limited, and it had some value. Let me know that people liked my stuff, but not every post in a thread, as it is with Likes now. Just the best posts.

Now, for dereps, I totally understand the whole bandwagon hate thing about avoiding it, so how about they get limited to just one or two derep per post? None of this hoarding of hatred on one thing a person said, and they'll still understand that they might have said or gone about something in a wrong way.

Or hell, even make it mandatory to add a comment to every rep/derep, with a minimum of a sentence or so?

This way, it's still a generally positive tone around the place, but you'll still getting some feedback, and with the negative stuff being especially limited.

Also, I don't get why anyone would care if the system's called Likes/Dislikes or Reps/Dereps.

I get if this can't happen, but I just wish that this little feature were actually being utilized. As of now, it's worthless.

For now, I'm in support of the Post Ratings thing.

4. C This silence is mine

Is that silly business done now? Can we talk about just getting rid of both likes and premium now? That suggestion seemed pretty nice.

5. Chevalier Crystal Princess

Okay, so I guess that's that for now.

As I said before, I'm really happy this happened because it shows interest. I think it's good that you took the time to look for a mod and prepare this all.

This is more productive than just keeping it all in without thinking something can happen.Things can happen and changes can be made. But a great part of it has to do with the overall attitudes. Being all closed off wouldn't really have inspired much of anything.

A few things I noted on the thread as follows:

All that said, I think what happened here is progress even if the suggestion couldn't go through. I'd say we still have a lot to learn about how to treat each other better and tempering our expectations, but we'll get there, I guess?

Really awesome effort, guys. Using those noggins of yers for good!

6. Amaury Legendary Hero

7. Plums Wakanda Forever

This is not confirmation of something being used or not, but

this has been noted and is being looked at/over.

I cannot guarantee how soon there will be an official "yes this is what we will be using" until after we test out both mods, compile the findings and all that, but it is definitely something on the horizon.

8. jafar custom title

If this whole rep thing doesn't work out, is there a way so we can like someone's like?

9. Hyuge ✧ [[ Fairy Queen ]]

Okay, so I was going to post a separate thread, but then decided it could probably just go here. @Misty A few weeks ago I joined a new roleplaying forum and they had rating system that I thought might make everyone happy. I wanted to wait until after the update to see what all was going to be changed so that I didn't get yelled at for suggesting something that was already being added and then thought I would give it a week for the update madness to die down. Anyway, I messaged one of the admins about it and a different one sent me this response.

[​IMG]

The link in the message can be accessed here.

It can be customized entirely to your preferences. The way they had it set up was roughly: Like, Love, Thank [[ if someone replied with something helpful to your post ]], Dislike, Just No, Smite, & Cat Like Typing Detected.

[​IMG]
    Once you pick your rating, it shows up like this:

[​IMG]
    The negative and positive ratings factor into your ranking and I believe you are rated on the difference.

[​IMG]
    The layout for a member's profile has the side banner set up like this.

The little avatar box on the forum page looks like this:

[​IMG]

So essentially we could have it set for Like/Dislike and whatever else you deem appropriate which will make rankings more worthy of achieving and yet not being as quite as difficult as the Rep system we had.

10. Plums Wakanda Forever

This is actually the one we are/have been considering implementing! Discussion's slowed down a bit due to preparations of the update, and there's still the matter of testing out ratings we'd like to implement, but it's definitely in our sights. Can't give an exact time frame, but you guys should be seeing something on it at some point in the nearish future.

11. Hyuge ✧ [[ Fairy Queen ]]

Well that's good to know. I guess we're both on the same page then. // feels dumb for spending time on it //

12. Hyuge ✧ [[ Fairy Queen ]]

So I don't wanna keep rebumping the same thread or anything, but since this has gone to page two and there hasn't been any news about it since December, I figured might as well say something. Is there any news on the new Rating System, considering the one you were looking at was the same one I suggested?

13. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

I can only assume discussion about this at this point is probably not needed, but I kind of wanted to throw out my 0.02 here. If there is any talk about the old rep system being abused, you could always...you know...talk to the staff about it. "So and so added a video to my rep and now it plays every time I check", that was a fun one. Yet anything like that could be easily removed, or if someone is "harassing" you with derep or whatever, again, talking to the staff could probably do wonders. If it got to the point where it was such a horrible problem, the staff would end up making a thread about it. To me anyway, I don't think rep was much of a problem at all, nor do I think it could be now. I liked it and so did quite a few members, at least the ones I have talked to.

If out of all the things on the forum that should be talked / heavily debated about, everyone chooses rep then lol, gg.

tl;dr rep is only a big deal if we make it a big deal. Peace and love and all the jazz

14. Plums Wakanda Forever

Sorry it took so long to answer, but there's news on this. *o*. Misty & I split the bill for the add-on and are currently in the process of testing it out, getting some initial ratings ready, etc. After testing & such is done, there'll be a thread describing the ratings & so on where everyone can give input and whatnot. I can't say exactly when it'll be on KHV because of the testing period and some kinks to work out, but it is purchased & is approaching when it's ready. B)

15. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

I have a question about the add-on. Are the ratings and associated icons customizable? Because maybe it's just me but I'd rather they be sleek, simplistic, and at least somewhat thematically consistent with the site. I like the concept but having a bunch of smileys, hearts, and thumbs-down sprawled across each post sounds exceptionally unappealing.

There is probably a lot in this post that I could learn from just clicking a damn link but I thought it important to voice it either way :x

16. Misty gimme kiss

They are, yes. You can essentially create whatever ratings you would like and associate whatever image you want (as well as make them only useable in certain forums etc). For example, if we so wanted, we could have a "Poopoo" rating with a little [​IMG] next to it. It's a really customizable system.

17. Plums Wakanda Forever

Yup! The ratings and images are fully customizeable. We'll definitely be making some of our own to fit more with the style of the (MISTY I SEE YOU DOWN THERE AND YOU WILL PROBABLY NINJA ME BUT I'M GONNA FINISH MY HEART IS SET WE'RE DOING THIS TOGETHER NOW) of the site, so no gaudy thumbs up around these parts. ;)

18. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Hokay good thank u I support this now.

19. jafar custom title

well, i'm excited for this new update. thanks for working hard on this. (and misty and plums for spending actual real money on this) c:

20. Shiki my waifu is better than yours, thanks

i'm okay with it as long as dereping ain't a thing