Why is there so much violence in schools ?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by newman, Oct 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrMario64 Traverse Town Homebody

What if someone gets E.Coli or lead poisoning?

And violence doesn't always equate to guns.

2. KeyBlade chosen one Merlin's Housekeeper

The world does need a little violence. If we diden't we would not have are sports and video games.

3. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

There's violence in schools for the same reason that there's violence anywhere: humans are stupid. We have no self control, and teenagers are especially volatile.

4. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

The world needs aggression- it's an essential and evolutionary biological function. Aggression begets violence, but it doesn't mean we need it. Since we've evolved into decently rational beings we're just as easily able to reason our aggression and find ways to deal with it.

@ Mai'kel: We have self-control, it's simply a matter of whether or not we choose to use it. Unfortunately it's easier to relinquish inhibitions than temper them.

5. Repliku Chaser

Different levels of violence have always happened wherever humans group up. Someone doesn't like something because it can be pointedly be decided it's too different or an oddball thing about a person and things start. However, it is noticeably worse in some ways now only because of the 'weapons' people use to do their violence with. Name calling and pushing around hurts, sure. But now we have morons with knives and guns trying to use them or threaten students with and well, just as wars were once fought with swords and now with bombs and multi auto-round rifles etc...well school violence has also changed. It sucks but that's how it seems to work out and the only way to improve it is tighter monitoring of things, children not listening to 'outside' advice to use such methods, and some stupid adults to stop getting kids into hating others because of differences. There are way too many prejudiced and simple minded people out there passing onto kids stupid thoughts and it really sucks.

6. DrMario64 Traverse Town Homebody

Correction: misanthropes are stupid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Misanthropy

7. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

8. DrMario64 Traverse Town Homebody

How is my post stupid?

9. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

Wikipedia isn't even a reliable source, so if we're done with the "who can pee higher" game lets try to make sense of this. Mai'kel you were called a misanthropist because of your under-cutting of human function. Unless you're willing to be reasonable or perhaps give more thought before jumping straight into an innate lacking Mario has you pegged pretty well.

10. DrMario64 Traverse Town Homebody

Yeah, I just posted the link for viewers at home to get a general idea misanthropy >_>

11. Nailpolish <3 Hollow Bastion Committee

yes. Why are you guys looking at WIKI for facts? I can go type that all humans are really FISH ><

anyways. humans arent stupid. We have self control. Some of us, try not to use it. I don't know how to explain that, but sometimes, its like, you don't want to follow rules.

12. DrMario64 Traverse Town Homebody

Vandalism rarely ever goes unchecked for 10 minutes.

Besides, if it's really obvious vandalism (like what you said) I'd just Google it.

13. Repliku Chaser

Not sure why people want to put down Wikipedia so much. For the most part, vandalism is low and gets caught pretty quickly and though it is not always absolutely correct, and touches on a variety of things, it often is alright by my findings and also others who have examined it rather closely. The site also gives a lot of resources to each entry or it is omitted. So, really, nailing someone for using a Wikipedia entry seems pointless. It's not the end all be all source of information, assuredly, but it is a great stepping stone that is -usually- accurate enough to get points across.

As for the term Mario used there, it is to express when someone says something like 'humans are all stupid', 'humans have no self-control', 'humans hate each other' etc. Basically, it is a prejudice against humans, despite the fact the person him/herself must be human. We get a lot of that around here and to make a blanket statement of 'humans are stupid and have no control' is simply biased and offers nothing of intellect. It's like saying 'all black men mug people' or 'all white men are rich' or 'all females are out to steal your money', etc.

I have to disagree with this. Humans are not stupid. We are obviously incredibly intelligent compared to the animal world. It's that intelligence that gets us into trouble as well as instincts. Violence is something seen in apes as well. It is not uncommon in animals and it is not uncommon in humans. Humans are intelligent and therefore -can- learn self control, or they can learn to be as destructive as possible. Teenagers may be going through growth spurts and hormonal changes, emotional adjustments etc, but that doesn't mean they are more volatile necessarily. Self control is something that takes some time and consideration to master, as well as a general feeling beyond yourself to those around you. In the end, things can improve when adults feel like teaching their children to get along in social groups better, and kids start taking the lessons to heart and stop listening to other kids who have parental figures that are more violent in nature. In the end, I do not believe we as a species are more violent than in the past, but more likely that we can just get a hold of better weapons that can cause more deaths to those around us. Also, integration with assorted social groups has caused friction but in time if we continue efforts of trying to lower prejudice and teaching people truths, things can and will improve. Many here have said that getting to know others and make friends is a great way to solve this issue of dealing with violence and it's definitely a big part of potential progress. The more people we meet and the more we learn, the better we become and also the more amiable our social lives are.

14. Jordier0xs0x King's Apprentice

My opinion on this Is simple: There are bad people In the world. Hey, people try and make world peace, but theres always some Idiot who ruins It. The sad fact Is, there will always be violence In the world, whether Its Schools to World War. Violence Is caused by people disagreeing, basically.
    I guess the world wouldn't be complete without violence, really =\ Also, teenagers Smoking, Drinking and Taking Drugs Isn't really violence, Its just pushing against the law...well at least It Is In Australia.

15. Twilight's Rose Banned

between Light and Dark's garden; Twilight Garden
    Well as they say "Today you are, tomorrow you will be". The way you were with your parents, a rebeled, spoiled, foolish and carefree person that does those things, thats how your child are gonna be like.

As they also say "People reflect with others not with themsleves". Instead of being themselves they immitate others.

They say also "Ligh goes and shadow follows". Its like that a person is rich selling drugs or having sex, then im gonna do that!

People these days have their hearts tainted.

16. Enigmatic Boy Twilight Town Denizen

Voilence is caused by problems at home, or by bullying. Drugs cause violence, and sexual urges. However, violence can also be caused by kids simply being bored (as what happened at my school -___-).

17. Repliku Chaser

These are all great points. In the end, as said, there will always be people that are not considerate of others (and as such we would label them bad at the times of these acts) and they do make life harder for others, even as they do it to themselves. They are not very productive people and I suppose the most we can take from them is to learn to grow stronger ourselves but to not become that which we can see is a failing in them. If more people can learn to do that, we accomplish something and can weed out or teach others to not be so ignorant.

18. DrMario64 Traverse Town Homebody

I kinda agree with the first paragraph. But, sometimes violence pretty much has to be the answer. Take the American Revolutionary War.

Option A) Stay in "peace" with England and let them do what they want i.e. overprice tea, occupy soldiers in homes, close US harbors, etc.

Option B) Fight for your freedom

19. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

It's more complex then just a batch of proverbs. There are plenty of social and influential factors that causes changes in behaviour. For example just because you found yourself being a rebellious teenager doesn't mean that you'll have kids that go through the same stage. it works when examining extreme cases but those are few compared to what is in the gray.

@Jordier0xs0x: It's always easy for each side to paint one another as the "bad guy" and they themselves as the "good guys". It's all a matter of perception and point of view. The common freedom fighter is at the same time a terrorist.

20. Laplace TSUKI NO SHIHAI

I am one of the persons who has to suffer violence in school, in my school, you are distracted for a second, you put yourself in a great risk, but this is because the society, the humanity is always violent and negative, the little kids learn that violence from the adults, and they pass it to other kids, I have to suffer that violence everyday, luckily I am not violent.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.