Kingdom Hearts Why Does the Wooden Sword Suck?

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 ReMIX' started by A Zebra, Feb 7, 2013.

1. A Zebra Chaser

In KH1, Sora's wooden sword is used to emphasize his vulnerability, and show the power of the keyblade. This is done by having the blade phase through the Shadows that appear on Destiny Island.
    Why, then, does this not apply in Hollow Bastion? When Sora gets Riku's wooden sword, he is suddenly able to cause (very minor) damage to powerful heartless.
    why is that?

2. Arch Mana Knight

Because it's been shown that other weapons can damage and destroy Heartless. Only the Keyblade can send hearts to Kingdom Hearts however. The first section is just something that's done(as you said) to show the power of the Keyblade. I guess you could say it's an oversight but a very good one in my opinion. As for why it does such pathetic damage...well, it's a wooden sword. What do you expect? XD

For an example, there's a scene in KH2 where Leon destroys some Heartless with his gunblade. Actually, there's a ridiculous amount of examples of characters destroying Heartless despite not being Keyblade wielders.

3. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

Yeah. That's a good question. Same happens with Roxas when he tries to fight the Dusk Nobody. If I were to guess, maybe people with strong hearts could destroy heartless and nobodies. That seems like the only possible answer. lol

Damage is also so small with the wooden sword because, well like Machina said it's a wooden sword with no powers... besides giving splinters.

4. Labrys King's Apprentice

Because the Sora in the Destiny islands was a weak and fragile individual.
    Yet the one in Hollow Bastion is much stronger physically, mentally, and emotionally.
    Basically he got stronger since then.

5. A Zebra Chaser

I know wy it does poor damage :P
    I'm talking about how it goes from something to nothing. Obviously lots of non-keyblade wielders have defeated heartless/nobodies.

6. Miles Cull a Duty 2 : Electric Boogaloo

Well since you don't need any special weapon to defeat enemies then maybe has long as you have a strong heart then you can hurt them. Maybe it was perfect timing when he got the keyblade.

7. A Zebra Chaser

It's definitely an interesting concept. I wouldn't mind seeing more on it in a future KH: what exactly are the conditions to harming a heartless or Nobody?

8. Misty gimme kiss

I think Miles's reasoning fits in with the series the best, because we have Tifa, who is shown fighting Heartless with her fists. I don't have much practical hope that we'll delve that far into the particulars of the KHverse but it's still neat to think about. Things like strength of heart and faith probably play a part ( MY FRIENDS ARE MY POWER ).

9. A Zebra Chaser

I dunno... KH seems to be pretty obsessed with explaining every little thing these days.

10. Misty gimme kiss

That is true, but considering that Keyblades are being passed around like free candy these days, I'm not sure there's even a call to explain what weapons can ( and can't ) damage a Heartless. Pretty much everyone that is going to be fighting has a Keyblade... lol

Anything that delves into the lore of the series I really enjoy. The plot point of Sora helping the Organization by using the Keyblade was pretty much abandoned after you left Hollow Bastion and that made me upset, I thought it was a really interesting concept--I was considering what other weapons Sora could use--and it's a very real possibility that Nomura will go into it seeing as we have a title for each little detail in the series, hah.

11. A Zebra Chaser

I like you :3

Yeah, I actually realized something after replaying KH2 recently: Sora uses magic seperately from his keyblade (he can still use magic with his wooden sword, after all)
    so couldn't he just beat heartless that way instead? :P

12. Airi Ban King's Apprentice

Well, he was stronger. Both in strength and in heart so that could definitely be it, I think.

It's always nice to get views from a different community.

13. Railos Hollow Bastion Committee

It's a double post system.

Anyway, I guess it's like what the other said. A strong heart and experience in battle is what beats the heartless. But without a keyblade the heart won't go back to kingdom hearts.

14. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

I never noticed that you were able to hurt heartless with your wooden sword at Hollow bastian, I would always just use my magic, run or call beast to help I never felt the need to swing the sword around to check if it was possible to damage them.
    It is true that any number of weapons can kill heartless, Donald and Goofy have been killing heartless before finding Sora, so did the Organization XIII, the people over Tranverse Town (leon), all your disney helpers, and also Sephiroth.. so the only thing expecial about the keyblade is that it can capture hearts, and also send them to kingdom hearts.
    with that in mind is also possible that there is more to it, in Destiny Island Sora found only pure blood heartless (Darside, shadows etc..) and in Hollow B he found mostly emblem heartless.. I don't know if it is true, but Emblems seem to me to be more "Physical" than pure blood, the pure blood seem more ghostly (maybe because they are the original heartless made of pure darkness? The artificial must have an artificial body to act as a conduity of the darkness), so Maybe you do need a magical weapon to attack pure blood heartless but not emblems.

One could also say that a strong heart is enough.. they atract the heartless , but strong hearts also keep heartless at bay.. the princess were able to keep the darkness from the final keyhole in check so that less heartless invaded, Kairi was able to revert Sora's Heartless, Princess Mine was able to use powerfull light magic that could kill heartless/nobodies.... and as everybody already said Sora's resolve, power, and heart were much stronger there at the end of the game then at the begning.. he had essenciatly the power of the keyblade within him even without it.

15. 61 No. B

I hate this so much. If people are capable of destroying heartless, there is no reason for why everyone needs to have a Keyblade. Not all of our protagonists need Keyblades. for example,
    why does Lea need a keyblade? He had a weapon while he was Axel, so he's perfectly capable of destroying heartless. He doesn't need a keyblade at all, they only gave him one to justify him being one of the main heroes, which is stupid because it makes his entire character seem superficial in that his only value to the main group is now that he has a Keyblade. It's implying that if he didn't have a Keyblade he would somehow be less valuable than he would be with one, which would be true if they still held to the idea that only the keyblade can destroy Heartless or whatever (wasn't that initially the idea?), which that was thrown out the window long ago, and like everyone has said, they haven't even begun to explain why.
    You give me one good reason why Kairi needs a keyblade. She doesn't, it's painfully obvious that they're going to draw parallels between Sora, Riku, and Kairi, and Ventus, Terra, and Aqua, in a future title. Which, as fitting as that may be, it doesn't need to be done because there is already a fair amount of similarities between all of them.

Anyway, as far as the wooden sword goes, I don't know. As somebody said it was probably overlooked, but could now be explained by Sora's heart growing in strength. A little convenient, but at least there is some plausible way to explain it.

16. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

I also think that there are too many keyblades by now, but BBS opened that "loophole" explaining us how a person starts using it... and even though I found it a bit lame in one side in the other I am kind excited as since we learned of the Keyblade graveyard we are looking for the KEY BLADE WAR! Is like Jedis in Star Wars, at one point there were as many as thousands, in the movies (the old) there were 3 or 4 leaft.. but there are a huge number of people that could become jedi, is only that the order had fallen (just like the Keyblade order).. the fight between the 13 darkness and 7 lights will be cool.. taking theirs keyblades as prize would be good also.

17. Hiro ✩ Guardian

It's just to show that his heart was strengthened by using the Keyblade.

18. Misty gimme kiss

I do agree with you
    that it seems cheap for characters like Lea and Kairi to be running around with Keyblades. But I think the lore of the Kingdom Hearts universe states that anyone strong of heart, character, light, or darkness is eligible to at least wield one. Kairi also had the power passed to her from Aqua. Lea seems like an asspull to me, though, I completely agree. But there is a distinction to be made between wielding a Keyblade and being a Keyblade Master. A lot of people can wield the Keyblade; not everyone is worthy of Masterhood.
    Actually, I would argue that Sora's heart was strengthened not by wielding the Keyblade but by his journey with it, and the friends he made along the way.

19. 61 No. B

Yeah, though it was never stated what constitutes as a strong heart, what they standards are. It should have been because by giving them all Keyblades, meaning they all have strong enough hearts, it makes Sora seem less like a worthy protagonist, and more like the person who just happened to get the Keyblade before anyone else, since they were all going to get it eventually anyway.

20. Sara Tea Drinker

I do have to agree with you on that, Below...

I mean, Kairi having a keyblade kinda was a downer for me on a person with a strong heart only being able to wield the keyblade. Kairi just can't fight, and maybe it's changed, but she just doesn't seem as strong as a character as Riku and Sora.

As for the wooden sword argument: Sora did get stronger on his journey. Hell, when he was on the island unless you leveled up to 9 and through a lot of luck, you couldn't beat Riku. But in Hollow Bastion with the keyblade you could beat him, but it took all that time of work and development to get that far. Sora said it himself at one point in Hollow Bastion, he didn't need the keyblade, he just needed the strength in his heart. And I'm probably misquoting that because it's been ages since I played Kingdom Hearts.