Why do you distrust Atheists?

Discussion in 'Debate Corner' started by Cin, Jan 28, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Inasuma "pumpkin"

In reality many modern day "intellectuals" and free/critical-thinkers are, by definition, atheists. But that refers to the governments and worlds established and institutionalized definition and representation (which I think is very inaccurate). So these brilliant men had a belief, which atheism says they don't, but by established society says they do.

It's clearly quite the perplexing conundrum.

2. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

3. Sanya Orussia’s 586th Fighter Regiment

Enough said.

I'm not atheist, but my trust isn't earned based on what someone believes in... or at least in regards to how things came to be. I have friends that are atheist and I often debate with them and what not, but in the end it's a pointless argument because the proof isn't there for anyone. Everyone has their beliefs... some stronger than others, but you do need to respect the opponent's opinion.

4. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

QFT. We can't say whether anyone is right, so why bother?

And again, I don't see anyone distrusting atheists. I see theists disagreeing with them (as I often do), but distrusting them? That's entirely different.

5. Repliku Chaser

I do not trust an atheist or theist more than the other really. The argument that is had is over whether religion is a man-made fabrication of control or whether some supernatural entities(y) exist that control things. This is the dividing factor amongst the religious and not religious.

However, the people I do not trust are those who are closed-minded, egocentric, can't be wrong, who are prejudiced and fearful or full of hate of others. I am not religious. I lost that faith years ago, but the only Christians I cannot stand are the ones who are prejudiced about it and have mocked other religions and being agnostic or atheist. Also, these types of people who do this are often prejudiced against women to some degree such as saying what is appropriate and inappropriate for them to wear. These people can justify rape based on the attire of the woman. Also, many are often prejudiced of races and sexual orientation. They can condemn gays ridiculously as well as people not in their ethnicity. They know so little about homosexuality, heterosexuality, women, men, etc and yet act like they are authorities and they can even 'cure' homosexuality. These are the sorts of people who I just cannot stand and do not trust running the country etc.

I have quite a few friends who are Christian and yet are well educated and keep their minds open, including in archeology, which is my field of study now. However, I also meet some awful ones that try to rewrite science to fit their ideals. Science is to research and collect data. If 'God' is discovered through science someday, I'll believe it. Religious people shouldn't mar science the way they try to in order to prove it. Things will come about as they do. The people I work with in my department know this and believe me, we've had some great religious debates, and yet we still all can respect each other in other ways and work together, believing we'll do the tasks needed.

I have faced bias for being an Atheist but eh, I don't care since none of those people who have done so to me are really actually what I'd call intelligent. Most are what I described above as the people who are so closed-minded and biased that their opinions shouldn't matter to anyone unless they have guns. When I was younger, the taunts etc would hurt but after a while you toughen up to it and it's made me more resilient so I can't complain. It's the silly ignorant people that will allow hate and fear to rule them that say silly things like 'all Christians cannot be trusted' or 'all Atheists cannot be trusted'. Simple people say simple things.

6. Chevalier Crystal Princess

People are People. Once they decide to close their mind even the most intellectual is a fool.

Its truly deplorable that people hurt and segregate each other over their religious belief, its not fair to anyone. An the worst of it all, is the fact that those close-minded minorities are what people will classify the whole group as.

I'm saying this both for theists and atheists. people refuse things because they are afraid that what they have incorporated in their lifes as thruth and definite can be revealed to not be what everyone expected.

7. The Fifth Element Traverse Town Homebody

I completely and absolutely agree with you.

8. Cin Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp

Okay...

You people seriously are misunderstanding the question I'm asking.

I don't give a **** if you trust atheists as people, I'm NOT asking that question.

What I'm asking is, why would you agree with established views in which there's no debate scientifically, such as the world is round, but NOT on something like Evolution or the Big bang for example? Why would you trust an intellectual with your open heart surgery but when religion is involved they're suddenly wrong?

Don't look at me and call me prejudice for thinking "Omg all theists hate atheists" because it's simply not true and it's simply not what I believe to be true. What I'm saying is, many great people were atheist, perhaps there's a connection and that simple connection would be a religious view or lack there of.

Continue.

- And Albert Einstein was in fact a Deist

9. libregkd -

10. Advent 【DRAGON BALLSY】

This.

There you go. Since all religions transcend natural limitations, there is no way to prove or disprove any of them. I'm not saying it is in anyway a fair debate, but it is one that can't be won by either side.

11. Near Gummi Ship Junkie

Another part of the matter that has been mentioned is that even if evidence substantial enough to prove one religion false were to arise, the members of that specific religion would most likely still practice their religion anyway, because if you believe deeply enough in something, be it real or not, to you, it's real. I'm not trying to single out any person or religion, I'm just stating my opinion on the matter. Sorry to anyone that takes it any other way.

12. *dancewaterdance* King's Apprentice

Are you asking why I think they're wrong? Because I have had several life experiences that have inclined me to believe that God exists. I have thought it through many times, I've questioned God (Christians do that too, not just atheist) and I still firmly believe in His existence. That's not to say I have anything against atheists. I am close to a family of atheists, and there is no tension between us because of belief. The only problem I have is when atheists dismiss all Christians as idiots (sadly, some Christians do this to atheists) or when they act like they truly understand Christianity when they really don't understand the religion (interestingly, this is why I don't mock atheism. Not only because it's rude and disrespectful, but because I realize there may be some aspects to it I don't fully understand and can't fully understand unless I am atheist myself.) But I really have no problem with atheists, I just think they're mistaken because of some personal experiences I've had.

13. Repliku Chaser

The point stands that to be religious or to not be religious is a personal choice. There is distrust due to that choice at times, and even fear or hatred that divides Atheists and Theists. In the end, it's up to us to just realize that not everyone feels the same about any topic and especially when it comes to whether religions are real and founded or whether they are man-made products. While as an Atheist, I feel religion has some basis in truth via some historical things, I do not believe in religious razzle dazzle. However, it does not mean I expect Christians or others to see my viewpoint. I'd just prefer there to be some understanding that though I disagree with them on that point, it doesn't mean I'm different on every point or stance with a religious person. I'm pretty open on comprehension and would appreciate the same stance, which I do find in some religious people but in others, there's a fear and hatred which is annoying. Viewpoints are what they are. We all have them. As long as they are not destructive, I could care less really.

14. Dr. Mythril Roxas Merlin's Housekeeper

Well, I can name 5 people off that list that your wrong on. Where'd you hear all of this? This list is all bullshit? First off, Benjamin Franklin, John adams, and Thomas Jefferson were all in fact apart of a secret ferternity called the Free and Accepted Masons. George washington was also apart of this ferternity. All of our Founding Father's were. Although T.J. is somewhat questionable. The Masons are a complex society of religious secrecy. TO BE A MASON YOU MUST BELIEVE IN A GOD OR GODS. Thats their number one rule.

And Voltaire and Abe Lincoln weren't Athiest. Voltaire was into other religions besides Christianity, and fought for religious freedom. And Abe was an open Christian. All of our President's were at least small believers in god. None were Athiest.
    Also some of those names I'm not sure YOU can be sure were in fact athiest. Do some "research" on those people before you "judge" them in such a manner as to say they had no belief in a higher power. I think a lot of them did.

I agree with you completely here Repliku. Your right, except I'm more on the side of religion in this statement, and not on the side of "athiesm".

15. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

Freemasonry is not a religion; although all of its members must believe in a Supreme Being (not necessarily a god), it does not have a single god or object of worship and therefore it is really just a fraternity. You are right, though; the founding fathers, as Masons, would have been theists.

And we can be sure that some of those people were Atheists because they probably said they were. I think Cin knows what he's talking about. Plus, he's not "judging" them, as you put it: he is simply stating that he knows (or believes, it seems) that these people (some of them) were Atheists and that they were probably very intelligent because of it. He's not "judging" them at all.

16. *dancewaterdance* King's Apprentice

Um... so the fact that they're atheists automatically makes them intelligent? Maybe I misunderstood what you said, but that sure seems to be what you're saying. Atheists are not intelligent because they're atheists, just as Christians are not intelligent because they're Christians. A person from either belief system can be intelligent (or they could be a complete idiot). What your religion or belief happens to be is rather irrelevant to how brilliant you are. (If I did misunderstand your comment, then you have my apologies, and you can just ignore this whole paragraph :P)

And as many people have already said, quite a few of the atheists Cin listed are, in fact, not atheists. Not necessarily Christians, but still theists. The ones on there who actually are atheist have not lost my respect, as Cin seemed to think they would (again, correct me if I'm mistaken, but that's what it seemed like in his first post). It would be silly to not hold them in as high regard for what they have done simply because they don't believe the same thing I do. I don't think any less of them for being atheists.

17. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

I believe was Blademaster was saying is that they are intelligent and people as well as being atheist in that smart people don't have to believe in god.

Also, I was always told that they were a collection of deists and atheists >_> *sigh* I dislike misinformation.

18. Inasuma "pumpkin"

lololol It's neither complex nor that religious. It's a bunch of silly games played by politicians.

Source?

He wasn't judging anyone. Even if some of them weren't really atheist (which we've already established, thanks for reiterating), the point still stands ground.

19. Cin Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp Derp

"The Bible is not my book nor Christianity my profession. I could never give assent to the long, complicated statements of Christian dogma."

-Abraham Lincoln

"I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religion than it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it."

Albert Einstein

"I don’t believe in God. My god is patriotism. Teach a man to be a good citizen and you have solved the problem of life."

Andrew Carnegie

"All thinking men are atheists."

Ernest Hemmingway

"For myself, I do not believe in any revelation. As for a future life, every man must judge for himself between conflicting vague probabilities."

Charles Darwin

"I have found Christian dogma unintelligible. Early in life, I absenteed myself from Christian assemblies."

"Lighthouses are more helpful then churches."

-Both Benjamin Franklin

"My view is that if there is no evidence for it, then forget about it. An agnostic is somebody who doesn't believe in something until there is evidence for it, so I'm agnostic."

- Carl Sagan, keeping in mind that Agnosticism is a lack of religion just as much as Atheism or Deism.

"The memory of my own suffering has prevented me from ever shadowing one young soul with the superstitions of the Christian religion."

"The Bible and the Church have been the greatest stumbling blocks in the way of women's emancipation."

-Elizabeth Cady Stanton

"Every sensible man, every honorable man, must hold the Christian sect in horror."

"Christianity is the most ridiculous, the most absurd and bloody religion that has ever infected the world."

-Voltaire

"They know that it is human nature to take up causes whereby a man may oppress his neighbor, no matter how unjustly. ... Hence they have had no trouble in finding men who would preach the damnability and heresy of the new doctrine from the very pulpit."

-Galileo Galilei

"Faith means not wanting to know what is true."

"The most serious parody I have ever heard was this: In the beginning was nonsense, and the nonsense was with God, and the nonsense was God."

Freidrich Nietzsche

"There is so much in the bible against which every insinct of my being rebels, so much so that I regret the necessity which has compelled me to read it through from beginning to end. I do not think that the knowledge I have gained of its history and sources compensates me for the unpleasant details it has forced upon my attention."

- Helen Keller

"The social principles of Christianity preach cowardice, self-contempt, abasement, submission, humility, in a word all the qualities of the canaille."

-Karl Marx

"Religion is excellent stuff for keeping common people quiet."

"Religion is what keeps the poor from murdering the rich."

"All religions have been made by men."

-Napoleon Bonaparte

"I turned to speak to God, About the world's despair; But to make bad matters worse, I found God wasn't there."

"Forgive, O Lord, my little joke on Thee and I'll forgive Thy great big one on me."

-Robert Frost

"I was born a heretic. I always distrust people who know so much about what God wants them to do to their fellows."

-Susan B. Anthony

"I can very well do without God both in my life and in my painting, but I cannot, suffering as I am, do without something which is greater than I am, which is my life, the power to create."

-Vincent Van Gogh

Thomas Jefferson, like most Founding Fathers, was a Diest.
    v All by him

"History I believe furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their own purpose. " – Thomas Jefferson to Baron von Humboldt, 1813

"The Christian god can easily be pictured as virtually the same god as the many ancient gods of past civilizations. The Christian god is a three headed monster; cruel, vengeful and capricious. If one wishes to know more of this raging, three headed beast-like god, one only needs to look at the caliber of people who say they serve him. They are always of two classes: fools and hypocrites."

"Millions of innocent men, women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt, tortured, fined and imprisoned; yet we have not advanced one inch towards uniformity." –Thomas Jefferson, Notes on Virginia, 1782.

"And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerve in the brain of Jupiter. But may we hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this most venerated reformer of human errors." –Thomas Jefferson, Letter to John Adams, April 11, 1823

"Religions are all alike – founded upon fables and mythologies."

"I do not find in orthodox Christianity one redeeming feature."

"Christianity is the most perverted system that ever shone on man."

"It does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are 20 gods, or no God. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

20. TacoGrenade King's Apprentice

Pfft I happen to be Athiest. I'm discriminated against constantly at school. Between my friends and I it's kind of a joke, but everyone else is just annoying. I'm considered a funny guy, I get good grades, but yet people are constantly asking: "Oh, so you don't believe in god?" "Well where do you think we came from huh?" And it's annoying as hell. Why can't I be seen as a person, not an Athiest?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.