358/2 Days Why do people hate Xion so much?

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 ReMIX' started by Shikou, Oct 23, 2011.

1. Shikou Kingdom Keeper

I've wondered this for a year or so about this. But seriously, why do people hate Xion (pronounced as Shion, she-own not X-e-on)? She did not do anything to be hated badly or anything. People find her annoying and creepy which I dont see at all.
    People for some reason started to hate her for her English voice Alyson Stoner (who played that tom boy-ish girl from Zack and Cody). For those who dont know, her English voice is also Kairi in Chain Of Memories (PS2 remake). She did not do a bad job I thought she did alright.
    And what is this "Merry Sue" people keep referring her to? I dont know anything about a Merry Sue character.
    Here is a reaction from a girl a few years ago when she heard the news (turn down your volume)
    [video=youtube;4OHrscat2AU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4OHrscat2AU[/video]

2. Ventus PSP Aqua Gummi Ship Junkie

This is actually the first time Im hearing that shes being hated. She did nothing wrong in the game (depending on the views of some people) and was practically like roxas just a slight different but by the looks in that video it seems it was mostly the voice acter that wasnt liked about her. But then again 358/2 Days wasnt liked so much either and her being a new character probably didnt help of her being liked.

3. Stella Nox Fleuret Hollow Bastion Committee

Xion is underrated. She may seem like filler, but she does play a big part in Roxas's story, even if it does feel like it's crammed in.
    One of the things that slightly bothered me about Xion was the
    way she was created. Yes, Vexen also created the Riku Replica, but it just feels wrong for me.
    I can't be helped.

4. Misty gimme kiss

I haven't played Days, though I know the general plotline of it, and I wouldn't say Xion is exactly a Mary Sue, but she is rather... uninteresting, imo.

I think people's major issue with her is that she felt very shoehorned in; it seemed like, after Kingdom Hearts II, Nomura just kind of said "hey guys guess what? there is a FOURTEENTH member of Organization THIRTEEN." Her presence really was (and still is) a bit unnecessary, and it's arguable that the series could be relatively unaffected by removing her entirely.

I also think a lot of the hate directed at Xion stems from frustration at how overly-complicated and convoluted the series has become. I don't necessarily agree with that, but yeah.

5. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

To be honest, I don't dislike the character of Xion at all. I admit, she's not one of my favorite characters, and I found her presence (as stated by others) unneccasary, but all in all, she's alright.

You are right, however, about some people disliking the voice actor. I am one of those people. Alyson Stoner is a perfectly fine actor, but her voice irritates the life out of me. Everytime I hear Xion speak, or watch an episode of Z and C with Max in it (yes, I still watch Disney Channel), or even on Phineas and Ferb with Isabella, I cringe. I don't have a reason for it, I just can't stand her voice. I put up with it simply because I enjoy the shows too much to stop watching. Although, Zack and Cody not so much anymore.

6. Llave Superless Moderator

Allow me to be that one KH fan that actually thoroughly enjoyed 358/2 Days, Xion, her voice, and all those other details. I personally really enjoyed the character of Xion. Many people were/are upset that Kairi cannot fight, nor Namine for that matter. But Xion is that main female character that could actually kick some butt, and still look good doing it.

Of course, people would probably pick Aqua over Xion now, but I still think she was a good character. She was voiced well, they really made her believable, fits very well in the story, and also has a good detailed history. In my book, those things make up a good portion of whether or not a character is a Mary Sue.

7. NemesisPrime Hollow Bastion Committee

I don't own a DS so I had watched a walkthrough of the game and I found Xion to be useless to the overall plot as it could have worked without her. I don't hate her but she just seemed like a one-note character and while she does get more interesting as the story goes on (finding she's an imperfect replica of Sora based off his memories of Kairi, wanting to merge her with Roxas so they could have a perfect puppet of Sora to gather hearts) in the end I think the story would have worked better if was about Axel and Roxas.

8. The Graceful Assassin It's Just Like Christmas Morning

She just seemed so...bland, like some filler character. She was completely unnecessary and even if she did make another game appearance, what would it matter? She's a failed clone of Sora.

I still think Square could've focused a lot more on Roxas and the organization, besides cramming the idea in the last minute.

9. Llave Superless Moderator

I disagree, I think Xion is a vital character for the future of the Xehanort saga. Nomura is a very meticulous story writer, and he wouldn't throw a random character into the series for the heck of it.

Often things aren't obvious to the viewers, but that doesn't mean she isn't important. Nomura could be allowing us to dip our toes in the concept of Xion, but in the future, he will reveal the ocean of her personality and we may marvel and praise her as a character. You never know till it happens i suppose.

10. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I don't think that's true. Nomura isn't one to just put in a character for no reason. Each character has a reason for being there, and Xion isn't an exception. She's most likely going to hold a bigger role nearer the end of the Xehanort Saga.

And she also played an important role with Roxas. If it wasn't for her, Roxas wouldn't have become the person he was at the end. Otherwise, he would have just stuck with the Organization and helped them completely Kingdom Hearts. Not too mention, if Xion didn't leave, Roxas wouldn't have, which means Riku would have had a lot more trouble getting him, which means Sora wouldn't have woken up when he did

11. Llave Superless Moderator

Oh that's true, that totally slipped my mind.

It may look like she's a plot twist in Days, but nonetheless, it is probable that she will play a major roll in the end of the Xehanort saga. I predict that it may have something to do with Sora's memories, as she was the memories of Kairi in Sora, or even the memories of Namine, Since memories cannot be erased totally.

12. Te Deum Hollow Bastion Committee

She 'aight.

I don't hate her, but her character design I don't like. She's too soft-spoken. She needs an attitude, and a less introverted personality.

She does play a huge role in most of the series, however.

Oh, and if her nobody name is Xion, wouldn't that mean that her name would be Noi/Oni/Ion/Ino/Nio/Oin?

13. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I don't think she even has a real name. After all, she was just made from Sora's memories. And Roxas is technically the real nobody of Sora.
    But none of the Organization members technically have personalities. They just act like it. Roxas really didn't have a personality either until KHII

14. Te Deum Hollow Bastion Committee

True..... Maybe he was just scared by Org. XIII.

He was himself with Hayner, Pence, and Olette.

15. Llave Superless Moderator

That's more of her personality. I think it suits her given situation. Would you be loud and have an attitude if you are confused of your very existence as a "person?"

But she is a pivotal character.

If you had to speculate, it could be like DiZ, an acronym with a 'X' in it. But I would have no idea what it would be...

16. Iskandar King of Conquerors

what, like "No One Inside"? Or something like that?

17. Llave Superless Moderator

That, or the 'N' meaning Namine, as it could be argued that some of the memories that seeped into Xion.

18. Te Deum Hollow Bastion Committee

If the 'N' stands for Naminé, then the acronym must be 'Naminé On the Inside'.

19. Llave Superless Moderator

Or "Not Original Image". Essentially if this is the case, it could be almost anything. But I am not certain if that is an approach Nomura may take...

20. Shikou Kingdom Keeper

I dont know why but I always seem to agree with you 100% on everything :Awesome:
    Yes, I do agree with you about Xion, I believe she will have a bigger role in the future also.