Which is the most educational?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Roxas24Sora, Jan 11, 2009.

1. The Fuk? Dead

T.V. keep you entertained, and reading keeps you sharp. I don't know about video games.

2. Snow Princess King's Apprentice

depends what youre watching, reading, or playing, you know? each one has its benefits and evils :D

3. Fork These violent delights have violent ends

Well educational video games mostly suck.
    The logical choice is reading. It extends your vocabulary by a lot, compared to TV shows and video games.
    T.V just gives you cultural knowledge.

4. tSG1 Chaser

Reading

you learn something from that.

5. Emilio Estavez Destiny Islands Resident

It's situational. But in the longrun, I may just have to go with books.

6. Orivsca Banned

Books by far.

7. ReebokR32 Twilight Town Denizen

you know that little voice in your head.... go fig
    OMG this is the easiest question cause you know what everyone will pick... Video games.

8. P Banned

Depends on what is being taught. All of those are mediums for processing information. I can have a novel purely for enjoyment such as Twilight, or I could read Darwin's Origin of Species. With television, I can watch Gurren-Lagann, which is good fun, or I can watch the Discover Channel. With video games, they are primarily enjoyment at the moment, but they could definitely be educational. I remember that pokemon taught me the word "Obtained" at the age of five, and video games were what gave me incentive to learn how to read.

So I'd say that they are all viable means of communicating information, and the way information is conveyed varies between each, so there cannot be a defined "winner".

9. Repliku Chaser

I would say it depends on the actual material and how it is being presented. You can find some very poor books, television shows and video games that can be instructional and yet crap. All 3 also are used for entertainment purposes, so you can learn not so much from them.

The material and presentation to me seems to be best found in books or on television shows such as Discovery, Animal Planet, the History Channel, the Science Channel, etc. Sometimes it is better to read the material or sometimes it's better to have the actual visual presentation there that TV or a computer offers. This isn't to say that in the future, video games can't catch up with TV and books and even do a very great job with education material. Certainly the potential is there with RPGs, games on evolution, etc. In my archeology classes, we use some computer games and also work on graphics for archeological training and information and it's quite useful. I also have used a computer for visual exams for chemistry and genetics for forensics.

So I'd say mainly books and TV lead for presentation of material that is educational for the moment but video games, as more designers and educators explore that avenue, will easily catch up.

10. blacknumbers Hollow Bastion Committee

I'd would say reading. There are so many authors out there who put a hint of unusual knowledge in their books. It seems as you read more books, you gain more of that knowledge.