Which is the most educational?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Roxas24Sora, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Garxena Hollow Bastion Committee

It really depends on the factors. By reading you get some really good information (depending on what you're reading) and you also get to use your imagination which can expand your problem solving skills by increasing how much you think about things.
    T.V.... well I'm not sure how much you can get from T.V. unless you're watching an educational program.
    Video games, on the other hand, can give you some great critical thinking skills. Take The Legend of Zelda games for example. They've got puzzles in them that you really have to think about to get through. But if you're just playing Halo or something, you're not going to get much of any education from those. There's also the Brain series for the Nintendo DS. Those are some fun games that can give you some fun facts! XD
    Overall, it's decided by how you use the resource. ^.^

2. Tana_Panda Traverse Town Homebody

Well if your reading simple stuff then it helps none.. so i'd have to say a mix between video games and reading.. some games are pretty complex and take a lot of concrentration and memory to do correctly so that exercises your brain while other and just run around and shoot.

3. Senbonzakura Kageoshi Kingdom Keeper

4. int2646 Traverse Town Homebody

Defiantly Reading

5. Kaiionel Hollow Bastion Committee

To me, reading, since words can be used in so many different ways to get something across. Of course, television has the ability to do that as well, but most of television these days is crap that's only there for mindless entertainment. It doesn't get you to think, and most books do (unless you're reading trashy romance). Video games can only teach you to an extent. They educate you on strategy and probably help your reflexes, but that's about it.

6. Stardust Chaser

It really depends.
    There are plenty of books that can educate you, expand your vocabulary, etc., but they are small in number in comparison to those that are just fun to read and really don't do crap for your brain. At the same time, many of the books that can educate you won't do that unless you analyze them heavily. Lord of the Flies could just be considered a story about a bunch of kids murdering each other, for example, but when analyzed it carries strong messages about how human nature prevails over societal influence.
    The same goes for film and TV -- some are just fun to watch, others have deep meanings.
    I personally don't feel like most videogames have made that sort of leap yet, but they're not useless either. Putting analyzation aside, there's obviously books, games, and movies designed to make you think -- not in a manner of analyzing, but on the spot. Puzzle games like Tetris, dialogue-driven games like the Ace Attorney series, and games designed specifically for drilling your brain like Brain Age can all help with hand-eye coordination and quick-thinking skills. Movies and books can do this too, in the form of mysteries, but because they're not interactive they lack some of that element.
    Long story short, I don't feel like there's one specific medium that's most helpful. But if it's any indication, books have been around the longest and people have been educated using them for centuries.

7. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Reading definitely
    TV depends on what you're watching
    Video Games CAN be educational but most of them aren't.

8. T3F Chaser

I get bored with books REALLY easily, I guess if you watch TV, like a documentary or something, then its better...

9. Pezz Kingdom Keeper

Well with the things they can do nowadays with video games, I would have to go with video games. Lets face it. Video games keep you involved and make you want to keep playing, so if it a good education game, then you could learn much from that. Then there are the simulation games that they use to train the army and secret agents (yes they have simulations that train secret agents) you can't learn that kind of stuff from a book.
    Reading is good to, but the problem is that not everyone enjoys reading. Some people don't have the attention span to read a book. That is the problem with books.

10. Cleopatra King's Apprentice

True x)

I learn from books, TV and video games. The most effective way for me would probably be books.

11. Jasper Cullen Hollow Bastion Committee

watching tv
    for my book reading is all just scifi stuff. and well look at what site you are on if you want to know what video games i play.
    I mostly just watch the history channel(HD) or Smithsonian Channel(HD) and there only educational.

12. Alphonsefanatic Traverse Town Homebody

Well, I read mostly in Study Hall nowadays. Still fun.
    I may not play video games much but it can be a little hazardous if you don't know reality from the real world.
    This one kid I know is to into anime and DnD that he doesn't know reality anymore. I hate this kid and want to punch him in the face.

13. Jayn

Sometimes t.v is because people tend to retain more of what they watch than what they read. It's just easier for some unless the book is just fantastic and there's a movie made of it that's like...horrible.

In that case, reading is probably more educational. But that's only my opinion. :3

14. water mage Kingdom Keeper

It depends on the indivudual. If one is not able to comprehend and absorb facts and information through a book then a book is not being an educational source. Many people may learn more through interactive programs that involves using some of the senses such as sight, touch, and hearing through playing a video game or watching tv.

15. Fellangel Bichael May

It varies. Whatever has more can give you more. But books are the way to go. Although games can also give you knowladge.

16. Ŧiмє Яǽрεѓ King's Apprentice

Reading for sure...video games can be used for learning but I don't think they are as effective.

17. Sora March Twilight Town Denizen

Well, it would definatley depend on what you are reading, watching or playing. I learned Math from Spyro The Dragon 2 on the PS1, you could learn about things like WW2 on games, educational tv is educational, and reading is probabley the most educational, as long as it is about something educational.

18. Kites Chaser

Well generally speaking, reading is much more educational. People can learn from television shows that are educational as well, but a book allows someone to absorb the information and go back to it if necessary.

19. K u r o g a n e Traverse Town Homebody

It all depends on what kind of reading, TV programs, and video games.

20. RieRen Traverse Town Homebody

It all depends on what you read, watch, and play. I guess typically reading would be most educational either way. Though I must say I do learn lots from watching things like TMZ on television 8D