Which is the most educational?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Roxas24Sora, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Repliku Chaser

I'd say reading or television probably over video games, though you can learn some things from them as well. Really, in the end it depends what shows you watch, books you read, or video games you play.

2. Destined Working for WDW

unless you are watching Discovery channel or something, each medium that you've listed is open to being edited with fiction. Video Games obviously, history books tell it like it was, but most only tell it from one perspective and either generalize or comment poorly on this or that. TV is rife with fiction. Most news broadcasts make you beg the question, or they are using red herrings. If you don't believe that, then I can personally attest to this.

A good friend of mine has worked for the local police for years. Countless times when the news has reported on a case that he was working on, he would comment during the airing that they were either making things up, or completely miss informed.

So, I suppose of these mediums, I would say that it is a personal choice, but I would say that textbooks when given a proper context or varying degrees of ideology.

3. Desi Banned

Down on that huge island people call Australia
    Reading has helped my english skills and vocabulary. For me any of those can help me learn, I just need to be interested in what it is im learning.

4. *dancewaterdance* King's Apprentice

It really depends. You might think that reading is better than the other two options, but not necessarily. There are lots of great TV shows and channels that are educational, like Animal Planet or the Discovery Channel. There are also some books that are not the best thing in the world to feed your brain (I mean, seriously, "The Clique"? What kind of crap is that?) Some video games are also designed to help your brain, like Brain Age and Big Brain Academy. Granted, I don't know how well either of them work, but they're definitely better than World of War or Halo.

5. Cherry Pie Pwns Gummi Ship Junkie

Books expand your vocabulary, so I guess that would be the best. But then again, TV and video games can help you learn stuff too. When I was in like 6th grade, I learned what a pilgrimage was from playing FFX and I learned the Chinese Zodiac from watching Frubra.​

6. Xe54 Kingdom Keeper

I would say that I learn more by doing something rather than reading, watching tv, or playing video games.

7. Envious623 Twilight Town Denizen

Really, any of the three can be educational, depending on what you read/watch/play. There are plenty of educational video games, but as a whole, most are fiction. I'd probably say either television or books. It all depends on what you watch and read. Documentaries can be just as educational as non-fiction can.​

8. Soap Hollow Bastion Committee

i think all three of these have an even playing field.sure,there are a lot of tv shows that aren't that educational,as well as video games.but i've learned lots of stuff from watcing the histroy channel,discovery channel,travel channel.and then there are some tv shows that you wouldn't think about that you could learn about,like numbers,csi shows if your thinking about going into the police force.then there are some games that you can learn stuff from too.personally,i learn better from video games and tv cause i'm more tuned into learning from technology.i've learnd reading stuff off a computer but i can barely remember some stuff from reading books.

9. Fayt-Harkwind Where yo curly mustache at?

It depends on the type of learner you are. I myself find it easier to learn by listening but when I read I hear my voice in my head so I would say reading as TV does give listening learners good information it will never be as informant as a book.

10. *Sora* Gummi Ship Junkie

You can learn all sorts of things from each and every one of these methods. You could say that playing video games expands your creativity, hand-eye coordination, as well as information processing. Reading can teach you anything as long as you're reading the right thing. Everything you read teaches you something one way or another, so it just depends on what is being read. Same with television. You could watch MTV and learn nothing but bad acting and shallow emotions, or you could watch the discovery channel, with shows like Dirty Jobs, Myth Busters and Top Gear, to learn all sorts of unconventional information.

11. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

I don't see how you can not go with reading. You can still learn from reading fiction; it's just a different kind of learning. TV is bogged down by media-imposed crap, games are bogged down by media-imposed crap, so reading seems like the obvious choice for me.

12. Skylight_Defect Hollow Bastion Committee

It's a tie between TV and books.
    I mean TV has educational channels and programs (History Channel, etc)
    Then there is books, which can really teach you a lot. I don't know, can't decide really.

13. Sonic the Hedgehog The Blue dude is back!!

Well,for me it's video games.It's given me perfect hand eye coordination.I am also great with directions,I recognize things when I see them.And it's fun.The best way to get some specific skills in my case.But the second best is reading.Not manga.Real books.Like novels,Harry Potter,Twilight,the Eragon series.And so on.I'm a good reader,and speller.So they help alot.

14. Near Gummi Ship Junkie

Actually, I've heard from several sources (even one of my reading teachers!) that reading comic books and manga increases your reading level faster than regular books, and I have to say, I've learned far more from Death Note than Twilight or Harry Potter x.x.

15. Bareri-San 私はポテトだ。

lol i think that might be true. ever since i started reading manga i've also been able to read novels a lot faster. i could read a 700 paged book in a day and a half. but like someone else mentioned, different people use different methods. in my case i learn from games, tv and books.

16. Jasper Cullen Hollow Bastion Committee

All three of them
    Reading(fiction that is): gives you more creativity, and if the stories about swords and stuff you learn about how we used to use weapons.
    Watching T.V: This ones a bit different but still, it teaches you about comedy. Yeah sounds weird but most shows are pretty funny.
    Playing Video games: teaches you how weapons work, for example if you play a video game about guns you get to see how guns work. Same thing swords, and it also helps if your angry instead of doing something stupid you could take it out in that game.

17. Daenerys Targaryen ok

Depends what you are reading watching or playing.

If your reading Captain Underpants it's not educational.
    But if you are reading the dictionary, then it is.

If you are watching Hannah Montana on TV I'm sure all you'll learn is social skills and 'how not to act.'
    But if you watch Discovery Channel then you'll learn all types of things.

If you are playing a killing game, where all you do is action action action and no storyline..odds the only thing you are learning is hand-eye-coordination.
    Which can also be achived by sports.
    But a video game like Final Fantasy ( ANY GAME ) with a complex storyline and tons of characters then you learn hand-eye-coordination, you learn to memorize things better, and your brain is wandering after every game.

18. Inasuma "pumpkin"

It depends on what you are trying to learn and how much criteria there is in those items to begin with.

If you want a great story, a book would probably be ideal. If you want to interact with your story and solve puzzles, and the like, a video game can work for that. Just examples.

19. Radiowave ITSA PIIINCH

Reading. I'm willing to bet that kids who grew up without a strong reading foundation are not as well off as kids who did read.

Harry Potter, Twilight and Eragon are terrible examples of "good books." All they are is long. They arent complex, intelligent or anything. There are books only 100 pages that are better than Harry Potter, Twilight or Eragon. Its not about length.

20. Snow Princess King's Apprentice

i guess it depends what book youre reading, which game youre playing, or what show youre watching... each one can be better than the others depending on the content