When They Cry (Sound Novels)

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Stardust, Sep 26, 2010.

1. P Banned

[EP7 Patch 2]
    It appears Shkanontrice is canon, and that s/he's the 19-years-ago-baby, and Kinzo's child/grandchild.

We know Kanon faked his death, because All of the survivors have alibis! Let us include the dead as well!! In short, no kind of human or dead person on the island could have killed Kanon! so the only solution is that Kanon didn't actually die. He's found with the stake on the ground, not in his body.

I really dislike the use of 'A servant cannot be the culprit'. It seems as though we're going to get some lame excuse, such as "Beatrice was a split personality, and it was Kanon who served, not Beatrice."

I assume that in any given episode, the servants acknowledge Kanon as the heir of Kinzo, so they obey him/her.

Bern's description of the game was apt. It really is ripping the guts out of it.

2. Stardust Chaser

[EP7 Patch 2]
    Ah, I see. Did we get a red regarding suicide with that too? Or is that implied in the 'no human on the island'?
    And I think using 'A servant cannot be the culprit' in that way might be too cheap for Ryukishi. After the whole thing with Shkanon, throwing a red at us saying that a servant couldn't have done it and then flipping it around on the readers would be... Irritating at the very least. I'm going to give Ryukishi the benefit of the doubt on that one, but I guess we'll see.

Erk, I'd forgotten about the new Kinzo. What does that mean about the illusion of Kinzo in EP4?

And yeah, prettymuch. Sounds just like Bern, too. xD

3. Guardian Soul hella sad & hella rad

The full patch for EP7 has been released. Here's the announcement - Link

4. P Banned

GAH.

[EP7 Complete Patch (specifically, THAT LINK)]
    I now know Battler appears in EP7. I did not want to know that. This irritates me greatly. DEATHDEATHDEATH.

On the other hand, there goes my tomorrow.

5. Stardust Chaser

Yep, I've just gotta reinstall EP7 and then I'm going to have quite an exciting day tomorrow >>;.
    Also [EP7 Complete Patch link]
    I guess you know he appears, but you don't know the context. It could be just briefly or a flashback or something, we'll have to wait and see. I've played through the Japanese version and I don't remember that myself >>;

6. P Banned

Wait, what!? What's going on?! [EP7 Complete patch]
    [​IMG]
    That's George talking to Shannon.

This is disconcerting. I thought it was Battler who liked mystery novels, not George. George then goes on to make the same promise Battler did. It's almost as if someone copied and pasted Shannon's experiences with George onto her experiences with Battler. Bah, I'll just pull an all nighter. My sleep schedule needed fixing anyway.

7. Stardust Chaser

Eep. That... slipped by me in the Japanese version. xD
    I guess I know what I'm doing tonight too.

[EP7 White Horse]
    Hrm, that's not a bad idea (the copy-pasting bit), and it calls into question the legitimacy of the whole white horse thing as well. This also makes George a whole lot more suspicious, although I'm looking at it out of context so I can't be sure.

8. P Banned

[EP7]
    Will just made reference to "How Battler-san didn't ignore the why-dunnit in mystery novels", when we just had a long scene explaining how George didn't ignore the heart. Something definitely doesn't feel right here. Almost as though Beatrice stole Shannon's experiences, and dressed them up as her own with Battler.

EDIT: AGAIN! This time talking about Battler leaving the family. "Wasn't Battler supposed to come for her on a white horse?" (spoken by Narrator)

Actually, Battler would have to be the original. We know he had a great interest in mystery novels, while George has shown no such interest.

EDIT 2: [​IMG]
    What. Just what. Shannon, unable to handle her feelings for Battler, changed her memory so that they were the words of George, then worked on forging a relationship with George, while forcing her memories of Battler onto Beatrice, who waited 1000 years in Shannon's place.

EDIT 3: This is depressing, watching Shannon wait, building up determination to grasp a future that doesn't exist.

EDIT 4: Finished the EP. That... that's extremely bittersweet. I know Ryuukishi said it'd be bittersweet, but wow. That's just downright depressing. Perhaps this is like EP5, where everything is bad, then it fixes up in the Tea Parties. I hope so. It's almost impossible to get worse than everyone being dead, staying dead, Ange dead, Beatrice dead and every single fate ending in a dead end.

EDIT 5: Halfway through Tea Party. I just realised how wrong I was for the previous comment. I think this Tea Party is the truth of Rokkenjima. There are no closed rooms, or gambits. Just Rudolf and Kyrie as murders. I get the point of it. This is the game without love, and it's gone from bittersweet to just plain bitter.

EDIT 6: Bern just revealed the complete truth. Holy shit.

9. Stardust Chaser

I must admit it's sort of amusing seeing your updates as you go through. xD

[EP7]
    ...And around this point I started shaking my head and laughing and saying nooo. Yep, you couldn't have been more wrong unfortunately x:
    And yes, 'holy ****' seemed to be the general consensus. But what do you think? Do you like the way the truth is structured, or no?

10. P Banned

[EP7]
    Do I like it? I don't know. Is it immensely bitter? Yes.

I was facepalming at the point where they were arguing over the clock and whether the switch was left or right. My thoughts then were "This is Battler's ideal scenario for Beato, where her hands are clean from sin". Of course, Eva was going to blow them all up, end of story. Then it got a whole lot worse.

I was not expecting no happy endings on this magnitude. Before, I was hoping for the killer in a world to be stopped, so Ange would have someone to go home to her. Then I started hoping that Battler would acknowledge Beato. Then I started hoping for Ange to get closure. Then I started hoping for just the Meta-characters to be happy. Then I hoped for a way that allows Beato's murders to exist at all. Now I'm hoping for Lion not to die a doomed death.

After all, Bern never explicitly stated that the fate she showed Lion was genuine.

Although the Happy Endings red puts a nail in that coffin too.

So overall, not a bad answer to Umineko. It might have been somewhat less depressing if Ryuukishi's best friend didn't die as he was writing it.

Oh, and something that worries me greatly about EP7 is how much I can relate to Shannon's viewpoint. All things considered, developing DID would probably be a bad thing.

Also, I literally just pulled an all-nighter on that thing. I'll take a cup of coffee or two, and fall asleep tonight. If I do anything else, I'll screw up my sleep schedule.

11. Stardust Chaser

Much-needed bump for recent release of Episode 8! I was actually planning on ordering it, but wouldn't you know Himeya has decided to close down for the time being B|.
    I'm still not technically done with EP7, though I've been slowly working through it. I avoided an EP8 stream so it wouldn't be so tough to get through it in English this time; The EP7 stream was a blast, but it makes the experience so much more stale the second time around, even in my native language.

Anyhoo,
    I really think BT's death hugely affected this series in terms of not just storyline but tone and structure. Really, EP6 was sort of a turning point in the series IMO; it didn't feel as 'tight' structurally (plus, it's semi-controversial among fans). And in EP7, things just go from bad to worse for the cast. EP7 was a step above EP6 for me, but definitely a very bitter episode and we can only hope for things to improve in the finale. I'm not putting my money on it, though. I think bittersweet at best.
    And yes, you might want to be careful if you can relate to Shannon in any way whatsoever. o__o

12. P Banned

(EP8 50% Transl8ion)
    So, EP8 has 8een 50% transl8ed. It's so much crueller than even EP7's finale. We've 8een promised a 8ad end in red. It has 8een st8ed. There's no escaping it. Yet we're 8eing shown this idealised fairy tale. "This is what it COULD have 8een!!!!!!!!" it says. It's all one 8ig lie. A massive 8ag of salt 8eing ru88ed into the wound.

I'm honestly impressed with Ryuukishi. He's managing to make this the saddest episode 8y idealising it.

Currently on the inheritance scene. This would 8e tearjerking normally, 8ut now it's dou8ly 8ad, 8ecause it's just 8attler's lie. ;_;;;;;;;;

EDIT: Oh gr8.

Ange: I won't 8elieve........ This is all Onii-chan's farce........"
    8attler: What will you have to see... What will you have to hear... 8efore you let yourself 8elieve?

FUCKING 8ATTLER!!!!!!!!

13. terminallyCapricious Traverse Town Homebody

In The Land of Propane and Propane Accessories
    There are actually two endings-
    one of them is the most heartwrenching thing in the world, the other is the biggest tearjerker that your eyes will ever experience.

Gah i already said too much!

14. P Banned

Fixed that for you.

(EP8 Ryuukishi's Challege)
    I'm at the point with Bern's game. I want to actually try to solve this myself, without the internet or anything.