What's the last book you read?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Amber, Aug 2, 2012.

1. afterwish Moogle Assistant

Last book was 'The Fault In Our Stars' by John Green.

From school, I believe it was Beowulf.

2. Korosu Kingdom Keeper

re-reading the millennium trilogy. half-way through issue two/the girl who played with fire.

also starting jane eyre later on tonight (stares at clawtooth and misty) (ી(΄◞ิ౪◟ิ‵)ʃ)♥

3. SoulboundAlchemist Gummi Ship Junkie

I finished reading 1984 for school, and I just finished re-reading the first Percy Jackson series to prepare for the Heroes of Olympus. The last book will be done this fall!

4. Ɍeno Traverse Town Homebody

Just finished Night Broke, the 8th book of Mercy Thompson by Patricia Briggs.

5. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I just finished this book called "An unquiet mind" by Kay Redfield Jamison and it was essentially her autobiography of her life as a psychiatrist with manic-depressive disorder. It was great to read and to get a better understanding of the disorder as it is so misunderstood and brushed over, people sometimes can't comprehend how things can be such a problem like "why aren't they doing this? Why are they so sad? Why can't they just get over it?" but it really shows that it's not something that can just be overcome like that. It was an incredibly readable book that I got through quickly and really enjoyed and would recommend to anyone who is interested in the subject of psychopathology.

6. Glen Returned from the dead

An older book, but still a brilliant one. I recently picked up and read The Contest by Matthew Reilly, and it kept me hooked on it from the moment I picked it up until the moment I finished it, never wanting to stop. The whole plot altogether, with this idea of foreign-world-creatures having a fight for survival on Earth, right under the nose of everbody? I loved it.

7. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

The Crazy Horse Electric Game, by Chris Crutcher. Do not be deceived by the title or the cover or the blurb; it is not a book about sports. Sports do play a role, but they are hardly the main focus. All of Chris Crutcher's books that I've read have hit really hard and stayed with me.

8. Ghost King's Apprentice

I read Rebel Belle by Rachel Hawkins. It wasn't what I expected at all. And the plot twist at the end ><. It was amazing! Ans by the way it ended I'm pretty sure that there's going to be a sequel so I'm really excited.

9. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I just finished up Gathering Blue by Lois Lowry, the second book in The Giver Quartet. It's very strange because it's a companion piece, not necessarily a sequel.

I really fell in love with this book within the first 50 pages. The setting is so interesting, the plot is a nice kind of simple, and the main character is just well written. This book brilliantly captures what it means to live with a physical disability (unlike a certain other book that will not be named). My main complaint is that the ending feels rather rushed, but that could be because of the time that it was written.

10. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I just finished a book called "The Quiet room" by Lori Schiller and Amanda Bennett which was an autobiography of a girl with full blown schizophrenia, it also included chapters from family members and doctor's point of view to include the whole scope of the impact such a disease can have on the lives of people. It was incredibly enlightening and fascinating to read because I don't think anyone can begin to imagine what it would be like to have such a disorder but this book really helps give you a better idea of the situation and its emotional impact. It was heartwrenching and horrible at points but just amazing that someone can go through this, sadly it never explains properly how it developed (beside the biological agent of genetics but I was hoping it would be a bit more complex...?) and the cure is never properly explained how it works- I know these things aren't the immediate sort of things people would want to read about but I was curious because it'll hopefully be my field of work.

11. Ghost King's Apprentice

I finished reading Scan by Walter Jury and Sarah Fine. It was pretty interesting because they found this device that scans people and it mostly turns red but sometimes scans blue. And the find out that most of the worlds population is an alien species and humans are almost extinct. But most of the aliens think their human.

It really is a good book, a lot better than the way I summarized it.

12. DanceWaterDance Twilight Town Denizen

Haven't read a book since quilte a long time, but now I'm reading "A Song of Ice and Fire" series. I'm Italian, but I'm reading the book in English because the novels here are crappy translated, so I'm reading reeeeeally slow and it'll take a while.

13. Ghost King's Apprentice

I read the first two books in The Lunar Chronicles, Cinder and Scarlet, yesterday and the day before. Actually I've been planning on reading them for awhile now but I wanted to get them all in hardcover but I couldn't, so the only one actually own is the third one, Cress, which I bought today.

Anyway, these books are like retelling of the fairy tales Cinderella, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, and Snow White. Except they're like totally different and way cooler.

14. Aelin Best Waifu

This section is dead so it kind of saddens me but I will post anyways.
    Last book I have read is "Name of the Wind" Patrick Rothfuss. It is pretty interesting, drags on for quite a while though. I still enjoy it.
    Last book I have read for school is "Who Has the Right to Rule" Jerry Benjamin. You know not nearly as interesting book for bible school, so you know a lot of thinking and stuff like that. All that fun stuff.

15. Misty gimme kiss

In the last few days I finished House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski. It's somewhat of a personal triumph -- I've wanted to read it for years but was constantly too afraid to. It took me longer than I'd care to admit to get through it (both out of laziness and, occasionally, fear), but I'm glad I plugged through. Really phenomenal, very experimental and post-modern. I'm sure I'll be re-reading it plenty in the future.

16. Patman Bof

The Arab of the Future, a graphic memoir by Riad Sattouf.
    I picked it as a last minute Christmas gift for my youngest sister, I was sold on its cover and first page alone and knew she would be too :

L\'arabe du futur.png

Then in January I noticed it won the most prestigious French comics award there is. I also noticed Riad has (and still does) work for Charlie Hebdo. I didn' t have the time to read it around Christmas, but my sis knew I wanted to so she brought it along for Easter.

It was quite the page turner, I' m looking forward to the next volume (dat cliffhanger).

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
  17. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I finished up reading Slum Online by Hiroshi Sakurazaka (the guy who wrote All You Need Is Kill, which inspired Edge of Tomorrow).

I really liked how Etsuro wasn't a cookie cutter protagonist, and how the story kinda evolved naturally. I thought the writing was pretty good and the different battles were done pretty well.

18. Korosu Kingdom Keeper

I just finished Cupcakes and Kalashnikovs: 100 years of the best Journalism by women, for revision purposes.

Reading Sunbathing in the Rain whenever the mood takes me as well.

19. Ghost King's Apprentice

I just finished reading To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee for the first time.

It was more more interesting than I thought it was going to be.

20. Korosu Kingdom Keeper

I have just finished Old School by Tobias Wolff. I enjoyed it, good book to read in one sitting. Time to find something else to keep me entertained while travelling on public transport.