What's the last book you read?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Amber, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Shuhbooty moon child

Oh lawd I just finished the help. After watching the movie and then reading this I still can't fathom why they changed a few things. If you haven't seen the movie nor read it plleeeaaaaseee do. This is a much read like to kill a mocking bird. I enjoyed it too much xD

Anyways it about a time set in the 1940 - 1950s when The color foke had to endure the white lady. They clean there houses, raise there children yet they still don't get enough back in return. Until a wanna be journalist comes from the shadows and offers her hand in something that's never been done before. True stories held accountable to the white people the serve. Its truly memorizing and if you can get past the southern writing I think its enjoyable for everyone. :3

2. Oblivion Keeper Banned

Last book I read was Watership Down, a very good book about a bunch of rabbits trying to find a new home. I left a copy with my little brother and am planning to read it together with him over the phone sometime soon.

3. Ghost King's Apprentice

After waiting FOREVER to actually get it I finished Uninvited by Sophie Jordan who is also the author of the Firelight Trilogy. The book was about Davy, a 17 year old musical prodigy who has the life others would die for, but it'[s all taken away when she's uninvited because she tested positive for HTS (Homicidal Tendency Syndrome) dubbed by the population as the Kill Gene. Because she was born to kill she was moved to a school that accepted HTS carriers where she met Sean who had a tattoo of an H meaning he committed a violent act while having the kill gene.

Man, this book was amazing but the author didn't say when the second book was coming out only that there was going to be one. I was actually kind of surprised that I finished this in one day since it usually takes two. Anyway I'm about to start my next book so I'll probably be posting here again soon.

4. Cloud4012 Gummi Ship Junkie

I'm reading The Neverending story

5. Yukari Merlin's Housekeeper

What's the last book you read that wasn't assigned for school? I just finished an audiobook of Writing Jane Austen, but the last book I read would be The Giver, which also happens to be my favorite book ^ ^

What's the last book you read that was assigned for school? Well, I can't remember which was last, but they were Pride and Prejudice, Ten Little Indians and The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes, and I enjoyed all of them except that I had to read them quickly and then write a paper on them. But I was really lucky with those, because I normally hate the books they choose, like anything by Charles Dickens besides A Christmas Carol which is the ONLY one that wasn't on their stupid list >3<

And (slightly off-topic) I had to write a report on Shane once and it was hell. I. Hate. Westerns.

6. Ghost King's Apprentice

I just finished Control by Lydia Kang. I literally cannot describe this book. I just messed with my so much. I swear If it wasn't five in the morning when I finished I would have chucked it at the wall. Anyway, it a good book but it's a little boring at the beginning. But, dang. THIS. FREAKIN. BOOK. I don't even know anymore.

I'm going to read Legend next. Is saw it like two years ago and then I was like what the heck, why not. Yep.

7. SoulboundAlchemist Gummi Ship Junkie

Book 4 of the Septimus Heap series, Queste.
    Now I'm reading The Angel Experiment

8. Railos Hollow Bastion Committee

Well I'm close to finishing Veronika Decides to Die by Paulo Coelho. So far, I like the book, and it's pretty interesting.

As for a book I read for school, it was Memoirs of a Geisha. The book was pretty good, and the story, and culture was pretty interesting.

9. Jin うごかないで

Recently finished Scorpia rising along with the skullduggery pleasent books. I'm really out of books to read in idle time now so I've been filling more of my time with games now I guess.

10. Cherry Berry Chaser

Last book I have read of late (and I believe I REALLY am slacking with reading at this point) was Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins.

It certainly was a good read, wanted to at read the book before the movie comes out uwu

Any recommendations on books similar to Mockingjay/Harry Potter/ Fictional Stuff or Detective related stories?

11. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I quite like the series Hush, Hush which consists of 4 novels which is all about Fallen angels and creates quite an interesting world of fantasy. I have yet to finish the series and I really need to because I am interested to see how it is all concluded. Also I'm sure the books are quite cheap in the right places (I have seen the 4th book in The Works for about £1)

I am currently reading American Psycho which I picked up because of my interest in Psychopaths and half my english literature class read it and used it in their coursework to compare to the Great Gatsby while I did Catcher in the Rye xD I am only half way through this book, but it's nice to finally find a book that I acn get stuck into and just digest completely.

It is a horrific book in the sense of what Patrick Bateman does but it's fascinating to see his life from a psychopaths perspective. Not for the weak hearted, I don't get freaked out by gore or anythnig gruesome easily but some of the scenes in this make me squirm quite a lot o.0

12. Jin うごかないで

I've picked up an older series of books I've already read it but if any of you have heard of it; the magic faraway tree it's really old but my mom handed them to me because she saw I had trouble with picking out books to read so far I really like it

13. Ghost King's Apprentice

I just finished reading the Legend series by Marie Lu. The last chapter of the third book. Uhnnnnnnnn. o(╥﹏╥)o it made me sad, then kinda happy. But oh my gosh. You people just need to read this if you haven't yet. I literally finished the whole series in less than a week, I even skipped lunch to read (which probably wasn't a good idea).

14. Misty gimme kiss

The last book I finished was for one of my English courses, World War Z. I personally wasn't a fan of it, I've never been too compelled by the zombie craze and for a novel that professes to include the "human factor" of a zombie outbreak it was surprisingly technical. I think Brooks is a bit of a military nut and that showed in the book. I'd have liked to see more about the psychological and emotional effects of the outbreak; the only story that really stood out to me was, incidentally, one of the few female subjects and was quite grounded in psychology.

I've been reading Night and Day by Virginia Woolf on and off for... geez, several months now. It's quite challenging! I can't read more than a few pages a day, especially because my copy has an incredibly small font (and I've forgotten half of what I've read to this point...).

15. Ghost King's Apprentice

I just finished reading I,Q: Independence Hall by Roland Smith. He's coming to my school in May to do author things so I'm gonna read all his books. Then I'm gonna read Elusion (my sister got a book so I got to get one too.) and I got the Slammed series by Colleen Hoover to read. Yay! Books! >///<

16. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Finished The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern over the weekend. Like stories that take place in the late 19th/early 20th century? Like magic? Like circuses? Like mystery? Like romance? Check it out!

The easiest way to explain the basic plot is that a couple of young (read: twenties) magicians are having a duel spanning several years using an unusual circus as their disguise/battleground...but they did not choose to participate in the duel, nor do they know all the rules, or even the endgame. Fantastic read, in both senses of the word.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  17. PirateNinjaHanyou Traverse Town Homebody

The Picture of Dorian Gray.

I LOVE Oscar Wilde's writing style, and the characters in the book were so snide and snarky-- I really liked that aspect of it, you don't see a large cast of characters like that very often.

18. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Oh; forgot to post here. The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. to summarize my many posts: really good writing, but has very unlikable characters (one of whom is our narrator) and a very forced plot. Read if you enjoy listening to the thoughts of annoying hipsters.

Been re-reading the Death Note manga as well. Ended volume 3 the other day. Still fun, but I'm beginning to notice some plot holes.

19. Ɍeno Traverse Town Homebody

The Saga of Darren Shan.

Just re-read through the series lately as it's one of my childhood favourites.

20. Ghost King's Apprentice

I just finished reading Slammed (like poetry) and Point of Retreat by Colleen Hoover. I'm reading adult books ><. These books were surprisingly easy to read and had some interesting twists. It's really easy to relate it to real life, especially the second book. It made me really sad then anxious then overly happy.