What's the last book you read?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Amber, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Ghost King's Apprentice

I read Paper Towns by John Green. It's not as sad at the end as The Fault In Our Stars and Looking For Alaska, but it was really interesting. Now I must read all the John Green Books

2. What? 『 music is freedom 』

Attempting to slowly plod through the glorious surreal masterpiece that is Proust's Swann's Way. I feel as if I am in a dream whenever I gaze upon the sentences upon sentences of memories.

3. Glen Returned from the dead

The last book I read was one called "The Trap", which is part of a trilogy of books; the first being "The Hunt" and the second being "The Prey". The plot in general is pretty good in my opinion, it goes back to the vampires being bloodthirsty, hungry monsters sort of thing, but at the same time it explores the author's interpretation of what their everyday life would be like if they were unaware of humans being there, it's really quite good.

4. cstar stay away from my waifu

The last book I read was... Twilight. Eh you guys probably don't want to hear me rant about it but... I keep hearing people complain that she is an "absolutely terrible writer" and I don't think she's... terrible. This book could have had a couple of rewrites... or many. It wasn't as bad as I was expecting it to be either, from the vibe I got from the movie, and I surprisingly hated and loved it at the same time.

So this is what a guilty pleasure feels like...

5. Hyuge ✧ [[ Fairy Queen ]]

I just finished The House of Hades from The Heroes of Olympus series. It's the Percy Jackson secondary series.
    // Nudge Nudge //
    If you couldn't tell by my theme.
    // fangasms everywhere //
    It's pretty incredible I really can't wait until next fall for The Blood of Olympus and I don't want to spoil anything, but if anyone here has read it, I would reeeeeeeally appreciate having someone to talk to about it. Most of the people that are reading the series are still in the process of reading Mark of Athena, my boyfriend included and it's just augh, augh.
    // flails violently //

6. Ghost King's Apprentice

I loved House of Hades, but I'm really sad that the next book will be the last one of the series (Hopefully they tell us what happened to Michael Yew from The last Olympian. if you remember who that is) . Supposedly he's going to start a new series centered around Norse mythology.
    Anyway......

I just finished Chosen at Nightfall and man was it good. I just wish it wasn't the last book. I hate it when a good series ends.

7. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I just finished this non-fiction book by a journalist called "The Psychopath test" by Jon Ronson (author of "Men who stare at goats") which I thoroughly enjoyed, it's been a while since I had a book that I just fly through without spending too much time staring at the page numbers and how many chapters I have left to go.

Basically, it was about his look into the world of insanity and how it leads so much of our lives. Like our entertainment is based a lot on people's craziness, we find it interesting but it has to be the right sort of crazy- like someone declaring themselves the Messiah is too far but conspiracy theories etc. are great! The book also looked into the world of scientologists Vs. Psychiatrists and how we like to label people with checklists and define them as mentally ill or how people like to label themselves mad to define why they suffer and there is a large discussion about it all. This is exactly the sort of thing I love as I plan on venturing into the world of mental health as a profession and the last thing I want is for people to be misdiagnosed or labelled when they are perfectly normal or just a bit eccentric. On the other hand, I won't stand by people who say mental health doesn't exist or it's just there to label people as that is ridiculous, it's a serious thing that can have grave effects on people's lives and should never be taken lightly.

Jon mainly looked at Psychopaths and took a course to try and spot them. Now by psychopaths I don't mean the descriptive term of a madman, I mean the medical diagnosis of someone with a very inactive amygdala (part of the brain concerned with empathy and remorse). He found it's not a black and white area and you can't just label someone a psychopath- there are people who are clear cut but others who fit certain criteria but not others yet they could still be classes as a psychopath. Not all psychopaths want to kill people, not all psychopaths are dangerous.

But yeah, a very interesting book that has coined my interest in Psychopaths and the madness industry quite a lot. Very enjoyable.

8. Spike H E R O

I just finished going through Warren Ellis' "Gun Machine". Ellis is always thrilling to read, but it does seem like he makes an active effort in trying to screw with whatever lesson you've tried to derive from the story.

9. Ghost King's Apprentice

I just finished Burned by Ellen Hopkins. It was really interesting at the beginning but I stuck with it to see if it got better which it did. Towards the middle it got really good except the ending was kind of not what I hoped it would be. There wasn't any closure to the story and it leaves you hanging. That would be a good thing if there was a second book, but sadly there is no sequel.

10. SoulboundAlchemist Gummi Ship Junkie

I just finished reading George Orwell's 1984, and I finished re-reading The Lightning Thief

11. Jin うごかないで

Recently I finished Alex Rider; Scorpia rising, it took me a while to try and find a copy (mostly because I didn't try hard to look to be honest) but also I've now started skulduggery pleasant Kingdom of wicked hard to believe they haven't even made a movie on the series yet because the books are amazing but of course they'd probably butcher the Movie from the glory of the book.

12. Cloud4012 Gummi Ship Junkie

The world made straight by ron rash

13. riku1186 Destiny Islands Resident

Restarted the Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead. Its a goods series but people keep comparing it to twilight (Its closer to Buffy). Includes Hot headed impulsive strong competent main female character, vampires (Duh), evil vampires, plot and character development.

14. What? 『 music is freedom 』

Still in the process of getting through Richard Feynman's Lectures on Physics. It is surprisingly accessible but at the same time you must be incredibly focused on understanding the math or you will be extremely confused. That being said, the set is probably one of my favourite purchases of the recent months.

15. Mish smiley day!

As of yesterday, I'm up to date with the A Song of Ice and Fire series.

GRRM pls to be finishing the series now

16. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Made my way through Divergent by Victoria Roth rather quickly, since I needed a bit of an emotional break from Ender's Game. It felt very much like a blend of The Giver and Hunger Games.

I really liked the premise of the who thing, but I don't think Roth could properly deliever it. It's written a lot better than most YA novels (Hunger Games and Twilight, I'm looking right at you) and it doesn't feel like I'm reading glorified fan fiction. The ending though, it kind of didn't stick for me. I really didn't like the romance in here (I was heavily rooting against it), and there seems to be no emotional reward come the ending. I may check out the other books, but it currently holds no interest for me.

I can say that it has the potential to be a good film where they could easily fix the issues with the book. Judging by the trailer, it seems unlikely.

However, this book is intended for a different audience than what I am associated with, so I can see how this became popular

17. Shuhbooty moon child

I love books like that. I actually made a small reading list for 2014 since I didn't or 2013. @Ienzo

Currently tho I'm reading this book called.

I'm almost finished with it, but it's about a girl who goes to a well known EXPENSIVE private school. Girls there are rich and usually give girls who are not, trouble. (she got in with a scholarship). Her first English assignment was to write a thesis on a book of choice. She choose the autobiography of Jane Eyre. A few months go and soon it's Halloween, the night her life changes. She's wrapped into another world she knows so well from the literature she read just that morning. She was the English teaching, fluently French speaking governess, Jane Eyre.

I really don't want to say to much more because this book is so simple to spoil. It's intense and I read it almost in one sitting (about 64 pages left). The author has other books that are similar to this one. (The Scarlet letter and some others). And I'd really recommend this to anyone who loves history, romance and teen fiction. :3

18. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

The Stranger, Albert Camus

19. Light-Rune Maven Seer

Capt. Hook (Advanced Reader's Edition) by J.V. Hart

I don't know how different the Advanced Reader's Edition is from the regular book but... It was one of the best stories I have ever read. It was simply AMAZING!.
    Loved it.

20. Ghost King's Apprentice

I just finished Sweet Legacy by Terra Lynn Childs. It the last book of the Sweet Venom trilogy which with the way it ended I could see it having a spin off series. But one of the things that I liked about it was the interesting twist she put on the Gorgon myth. Anyway that was the last book I had left to read and now I'm bookless.