What's the last book you read?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Amber, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Calxiyn Keyblade Master

I read 'The Vindico' by Wesly King, (Finished Yesterday) And for school I read 'Kilala Princess' which is a Manga, and it was fun having my teacher listening to me and having no idea WHAT I was going on about XD I have a list of books I've read on my profile if anyone wants some good recommendations ;-)

2. Razgriz Thirteen Traverse Town Homebody

Doctor Who: The Festival of Death by Jonathan Morris

I'm starting to appreciate media tie-ins, since in books you can explore ideas further. With a story in a novel there's much more time to get into detail and weave a really intricate and complex story without totally confusing the fans, and this book does exactly that. It was a great read, fun, exciting and captures the idea of the complexities of time travel so perfectly on a scale a Doctor Who tv story never quite could.

3. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I am about to finish "The Perks of being a Wallflower" by Stephen Chbosky which I have been attempting to read for ages. I saw the film first sadly but it was an amazing film that stayed very true to the book. So I knew the story beforehand but the book presented it in such a different way.

One thing I liked about it is it's uncertainty, it's all written in letters to a "friend" of the main character but he says he changes the names of the people to protect their identities so you go through this story becoming attached to these different characters but you don't actually know their real names. It kind of reflected the uncertainty of teenage life that the book presents as things you don't even realise could have happened to all these people around you, Charlie, the protagonist, spends the book looking at people and just wondering about them in a curious way which also emphasises this.

It reminded me an awful lot of The Catcher in the Rye as both are about this lives of teenage boys who are just trying to find their place in the world and I swear I could write an essay comparing these two xD

I also loved the structure it was written in as it was incredibly readable as the language was simple which reflected basic speech and really built up these characters personality without describing them physically because he's showing that that's not a big deal as Charlie is very preoccupied with peoples inner beauty which I liked. It just basically reflected a normal teenage life but with so much torment and it just feels so upsetting as it feels very realistic.

I love this story and would recommend it to anyone.

4. Vagineer Hollow Bastion Committee

Looking for Alaska by John Green. During my school's Book Fair (Yes, we have those.), A lot of my classmates, boys and girls alike, mostly buys John Green's works. Especially this book and "The Fault in our Stars." I never knew what's the big deal about it at first, but it was when I read it that I understood why. Dang, John Green makes some pretty good romance novels...

5. ReverofEnola King's Apprentice

The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzgerald
    Little Fact: If you look in the eyes they have naked ladies ;)
    [​IMG]

6. Fearless A good and beautiful child

"Nicholas St. North and the Battle of the Nightmare King" and it's sequel, "E. Aster Bunnymund and the Warrior Eggs at Earth's Core", both by William Joyce.
    Aka the books Rise of the Guardians was based on.

Despite the fact that these books are aimed at 10-year-olds, I found them both to be rather insightful and meaningful (to the extent that such a book could, at any rate), and I would actually recommend these books to most anyone, no matter their age.

The books have North (aka young!Santa) as a main protagonist, with a young girl named Katherine as his young friend, and an old Dumbledore-ish wizard called Ombric as his mentor. Bunny gets introduced in the second book as essentially a bunny Time Lord who's more of a scholar than he was in the movie. The entire plot revolves around Pitch Black being a d*ck.
    It's probably better than I make it sound.

7. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Les Miserable by Victor Hugo (unabridged)

1463 pages.

I really enjoyed it, really. There were some parts that were pretty slow (such as Waterloo) but most of it was really interesting. It had a lot of great story telling, some good characters, and it just felt powerful.

8. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I have recently been quite interested in reading Les Miserable, the novel as I love books and like to go back to the original after seeing the film/other media adaption of it to see how they developed it. I assume it has the same story as the musical or am I horribly mistaken?

The last book I read was "May I have your attention please?" by James Cordon which is his autobiography. James Cordon is famous in Britain for being an actor and Comedian and I quite enjoyed this story, one of the great things about it was him talking about how he reached fame despite his size and how he seems like the most unlikely person to be famous which was really uplifting to me. It also talked about his depression after fame hit which was quite something to behold and so at the end of the day his life ends up being a love story as it's a woman who really helps to pull him out of dark times so I quite enjoyed it. I just love reading autobiographies though as they give a great insight into the minds of celebrities and humanises them as we tend to idolise them and forget that they are exactly the same as us. Next with be Elizabeth Sladen's autobiography!

9. PirateNinjaHanyou Traverse Town Homebody

Lolita by Vladmir Nabokov.

It was... interesting. Not something I'd recommend for everyone, but still an... interesting read. Very different.

10. jafar custom title

I last read The Hobbit, am now reading DMT: The Spirit Molecule.

11. ShibuyaGato Transformation

The Kite Runner. Currently I'm reading Brave New World, and I'm just hoping it gets better as it goes on -- it's pretty slow at the moment.

12. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

The Sign of Four by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

13. SoulboundAlchemist Gummi Ship Junkie

The last book I read was James Potter and the Curse of the Gatekeeper

14. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Last properly read through 'The Picture of Dorian Grey' which was a disappointment considering it seemed to consist of a lot of banter but nothing actually happening till closer to the end. The best bit was how it ended, but it wasn't worth that length of time. The characters all felt a bit hollow and never really progressing, though Dorian at least changed a bit.

Currently read 'The Last of the Mohicans'. The narrative is pretty good, but the style is very dated, which is wearing thin, but I've connected with the diverse group of main characters, which is exactly what characters should do.

15. cstar stay away from my waifu

The last book I read was Dragon's Oath. It's a novella of the House of Night series, which... I enjoyed at the beginning, but fell out of love for it after a while. I won't spoil anything for anyone who decides to check it out, but it took a different turn than I expected.

But Dragon's Oath, after re-reading it a couple of times, it has grown on me. I really like this character in the series anyway, it was great learning a little bit more about him... but I wouldn't recommend it to someone who hasn't read the first two books at least of the House of Night series.

Get someone else to give a positive review after book 4, I only enjoyed it up to book 4, but I liked this novella a lot.

16. Loxare Hollow Bastion Committee

House of Hades by Rick Riordan. Read it. It was goooooood.

17. Ghost King's Apprentice

Looking for Alaska by John Green. This book is really good but man did I cry at the end. Now i'm sad and I got a headache. But it was worth it. John Green writes awesome books.

18. Beucefilous Kingdom Keeper

Going to read that next.
    I just finished the mark of athena and holy **** that ending

19. Loxare Hollow Bastion Committee

And holy **** the next book. Seriously.

20. Hexin Hollow Bastion Committee

I just read "Brave Story". You're better off reading the book than watching the Animated movie....some serious details are skipped.