What's the last book you read?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Amber, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien

It was the first time I read the story fully since my freshman year of high school. I was a bit surprised by the use of deus ex machina in the story. It became bothersome at times (like how the eagles come out of nowhere) but it was an enjoyable story. Good, basic use of The Hero's Journey.

2. SoulboundAlchemist Gummi Ship Junkie

Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card, anyone who likes Sci-Fi, should really give this book a read, plus its being made into a movie, with Harrison Ford as one of the main actors.

3. Shera Wizard Merlin's Housekeeper

The Magic Thief

I dont remember reading any :p

4. Ghost King's Apprentice

Stephanie Plum: Hard Eight
    By: Janet Evanovich

It's a series of novel I staterd reading a few weeks ago. Of course I'm 13 and these books are aimed for adults. But I was bored and my mom said I could read them if I wanted. So far there are 19 books in the series.

It's really easy to get caught up in the story. And one of the main things that really draws you in to the series is the comedy, And the main character's bad luck. And her bad habit of getting her cars blown up by other people.

5. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya by Nagaru Tanigawa
    Just a really fun science fiction novel that, with the more I read through it, I feel that it's trying to say something much deeper than it actually is.

Alfred Hitchcock and the Making of Psycho by Stephen Rebello
    Enjoyed this very much, probably because I'm. Big horror fan. Besides some of the details in the shooting of the film, I already knew a lot of this stuff beforehand. Still, it's a very fun read.

The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
    This was my second read through of this book. I think I like what the book is trying to represent much more than the actual book. I still think Katniss is not a good protagonist, the narration isn't that interesting, and some of the characters are meh. The characterization is just awful.

Sunday Billy Sunday by Mark Wheaton
    From the guy who wrote the Friday the Thirteenth remake, and, oh God, does it show. Now, I love horror, and even campy horror, but this was just really stupid. An interesting premise, but not well executed. It felt like this was just a pitch for a horror film.

6. Cloud4012 Gummi Ship Junkie

the hobbit by j r r tolken

7. Serenacake Traverse Town Homebody

Sputnik Sweetheart - haruki murakami

Great book.

The last book I read for school, was well, Huck Finn. Terrible book, imho.

8. Chie Satonaka Twilight Town Denizen

Spider Bones by Kathy Reichs (novel)

Black Butler Vol. 4 (manga if it counts)

9. Anixe Hollow Bastion Committee

Edith Can Shoot Things and Hit Them by A. Rey Pamatmat

It's an interesting play about three kids trying to live on their own. Surprisingly, the themes are quite controversial, and they even made a warning in the beginning that the kids should be played by young-looking adults. But nevertheless, I randomly chose this book for pleasure and I was quite satisfied with the feeling it left me at the end.

10. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Without You by Anthony Rapp

A warning to RENT fans who want to pick this up: the musical doesn't play a huge part in the story for the most part. Still, it was a very good read and felt very genuine. I like how Rapp was honest about how he was in that time, not making himself come off as a pure victim as one would be tempted to do. He comes off like a ****** at times, but he has learned from his mistakes. If you're looking for something that is the Making of RENT, this isn't it, but if you want to know more about one of the actors and their struggle while doing the musical, this is a very good read.

Although, there are certain scenes this book that I wish weren't in there. They didn't really add anything to the story or development at all.

11. ShibuyaGato Transformation

The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne

Not bad for the most part, but some chapters were just too absurd and the ending was a bit of a let down.

12. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse

Before that, Good Omens by Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman

13. cstar stay away from my waifu

The last book I read was Lord of the Flies, it was for school but I enjoyed it so much and meant to read it at some point anyway that I will count it as a voluntary read.

Gosh what a dark look on human nature... and it's amazing how I agreed with it.

14. Fellangel Bichael May

Last book I read was my calculus book.

Seriously, the book I read was Black Sea Gods (Chronicle of Fu Xi). Very interesting book though all the names sometimes confuses you on who's who.

15. Vagineer Hollow Bastion Committee

The Fault in our Stars. Back then, I didn't know why the book is such a big deal until I read it... I loved the book to bits!

16. xXHumanoidLoverXx Destiny Islands Resident

17. SoulboundAlchemist Gummi Ship Junkie

Doctor Who: Shroud of Sorrow by Tommy Donbavand

18. Sara Tea Drinker

The last book I read was: The History of the Kentucky Derby. And yes, I know I'm a horse racing nerd, I love reading history about that kind of stuff and it was a very interesting read.

19. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Columbine by Dave Cullen

Really insightful. The way it's written makes it more entertaining than most non-fiction novels I've read, and the author doesn't play around when it comes to sources. Sheds a lot of light on a terrible tragedy and all the pointless speculation that came out of it at first.

20. Airi Ban King's Apprentice

Druid of Shannara by Terry Brooks (fifth book in the Shannara series). Can't say much about it without spoilers other than that it's amazing and made me cry.