What's the last book you read?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Amber, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

Cleopatra's Daughter, by Michelle Moran. I really enjoy it because there's so little information on the historical figure, but it's historically accurate at the same time. It's not very long either and doesn't take me more then three or four days to finish.

2. Ghost King's Apprentice

I read The Boy in The Black Suit by Jason Reynolds. It was a pretty easy read and doesn't take too long because it's not super complex or anything. It's kind od written the same way as Colleen Hoover's Slammed series.

3. Railos Hollow Bastion Committee

Aristotle and Dante Discover The Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Saenz
    I absolutely loved this book. It was beautifully written, and I loved the story. It was like going through the day to day life of this one boy. It was definitely not the book I expected it to be.

4. Jin うごかないで

Light novel wise; Index New Testament 12

Book wise: Finished reading Skullduggery Pleasant Dark Days

5. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

The Hobbit. Probably gonna troll on to read the Fellowship of the ring next.

6. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Star Wars: Tarkin

Continues the trend started with The Clone Wars and Rebels of doing a good job of humanizing the character of Tarkin, a whole lot more than his only movie appearance ever could.

7. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Log Horizon Volume 1: The Beginning of Another World by Mamare Touno.

I picked it up because I really liked the anime and wanted to see what the source material was like. While it can be slow at times, I feel that it's use of world and character building was really well done. However, it clearly suffers from transitioning from a story published on the internet to an actual novel. It repeats things about the world to where it gets annoying, and the ending doesn't necessarily wrap up in the way a traditional story would end. Still, it's a really good read.

As well, I just finished up reading Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card. It was a book that I couldn't put down for various reasons. It spoke to me on many levels. There are many things I could say about what this book says about youth, fighting, and what it means to be a hero.

However, I was really fascinated me was what it said about being a leader. I could clearly see why teachers like Graff believing in what they do, but it was obvious that what he was doing was harmful. He wasn't a leader, but someone who was afraid.

And I'll say this about Card, with what I said when the film was released (which I also really liked). I absolutely do not agree with his politics. In fact, it baffles me that someone with his viewpoints could write a story with a central theme of tolerance and accepting people for their differences.

8. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

New books read!!

No Game No Life Volume 1 by Yū Kamiya

I'll be honest, I didn't care too much for this one. A lot of the ideas were fun, but I just couldn't find myself rooting for Sora or Shiro. I understand why they are the way they are, but I still felt nothing for them. And the Yen Press translation was difficult to read at time with random punctuation. Out of nowhere.

Sword Art Online - Aincrad Volume 1 by Reki Kawahara

A real surprise, since I don't have so hot opinions of the anime. While Kirito was rather bland, there was a lot of stuff to like about it. It also helps that most of the stuff that ticked me off about this arc in the anime were not present in the novel.

9. 61 No. B

On Writing by Stephen King
    it changed my whole world. I wish I could be given the chance to tell him how influential it was on me and thank him, though I'm sure there are countless thousands who think the same.

Batman: Year 2, Year 3, Gothic, Arkham Asylum, Batman and Son (reading through Morrison's run)
    i guess it's something of a tradition to read Batman during the summer when I'm away from home. I don't seem to read these stories when I am at home.

10. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

The last actual book I read was Please Don't Tell My Parents I'm a Supervillain.
    It wasn't...bad, but it wasn't too good. It was just...amusing. Not picking up the sequel.

11. 61 No. B

Superman Beyond 3D
    Grant Morrison at his brain-melting shenanigans again

12. Superior of the InBetween Merlin's Housekeeper

13. The Twin My, what a strange duet

I reread Homecoming and then read Dicey's Song. I remember reading the former in I think the 8th grade and stumbled upon it in a Savers.

I also read this bizarre title called the 13 1/2 Lives of Captain Bluebear. And when I say it's bizarre, I mean it's bizarre. But it was a fun read, with lots of drawings smooshed in a Terry Gilliam-esque style (a cartoonist/artists for many of Monty Python's animated bits in films and television).

14. Ghost King's Apprentice

I read Of Mice and Men for school and I didn't think I would like it because it looked short. It was amazing but it was very sad. I also finished a book Called Firefight by Brandon Sanderson which was a sequel to Steelheart which is a book about certain people gaining abilities after a meteor crashes into the earth.

15. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard: The Sword of Summer by Rick Riordan.

THIS IS EVEN BETTER THAN THE RED PYRAMID AND THE LOST HERO PLEASE READ IT

16. Ghost King's Apprentice

AHHHH!! Yes, this book is so great! It connects to the Percy Jackson series in a way but it's so different. The best part is the sarcastic sign language. It has a really good story, too."

17. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Ronin Games by Marion G. Harmon, the fifth in the Wearing the Cape series.
    A much different story than the others, but wow, it was good.

18. Ghost King's Apprentice

I finally read Game of Thrones by G.R.R.M. and it was way better than I though it was going to be. The world and the characters were thought out so thoroughly and it has and interesting plot.

19. Laurence_Fox Chaser

High-Rise by J.G Ballard

I'm almost positive that I need to re-read this thing because holy crap that ending.

20. Ghost King's Apprentice

I read Antigone for school which I thought was actually pretty interesting but everyone in my class thought it was boring and didn't understand what was going on. Maybe it was the translation? Anyway it'seems a tragedy by Sophocles and I would recommend it.