Chain of Memories whats the deal with riku smelling everything?

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 ReMIX' started by Beucefilous, May 9, 2011.

1. Menos Grande Kingdom Keeper

If i remmember correctly Riku peeks his nose the first time he mentions that the Org. XIII had a smell of darkness, both in mangá as in Re:Reverse/rebirth, and It would seem strange for me or just queer that a game that has so much care with the dub screw a central word in the plot like these...
    I LOVED WHEN RIKU TRANSFORMED SAYING DARKNESS!
    It was just as amazing as donald saying HEARTLESS HEARTLESS!
    Its funny that riku is darkness and sora light, when sora went deeper in the darkness and became a heartless himself!

It would be great to think that Riku stink of Ansem/Xemnas/Xehanort/Terra because he inherit Terra's will.. yet He said that was darkness he sensed.
    [video=youtube;i8dO-OGH7uc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8dO-OGH7uc[/video]
    (He used his nose to check it!)

2. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

Not an error, but a creative choice. Note for comparison the differences between Axel's catch-phrase in CoM and KHII: "Commit it to memory" versus "Got it memorized?" The first version is undoubtedly stronger-sounding, not to mention less narm-tastic in the long run, but they probably had to make the change to allow Axel's VA to lip sync properly. That, or Nomura changed it first, and the translator(s) followed suit. If Riku made other references to auras or "scents" in KHII, we might find his wording changes significantly as well.

My guess is they wanted to avoid falling back on the clichéd "aura" and try something different, something that would stand out more. Scent is more concrete than an unnamed sense, and it allows Riku to better express the contrast in his views on light and darkness. "You reek of darkness" hits harder and shows more personality than "You have a dark aura," for example. I don't believe it was ever meant to be taken literally, at any rate. On the other hand, use any one metaphor too many times and people begin to wonder if you don't mean it literally. Maybe Riku's just got a fantastic sniffer.

It's figurative. Is this really hard to understand? Riku's making a play on words, using both the literal meaning and the commonly-accepted insult form of the word "stink." Sometimes a "stinker" doesn't have actual, factual B.O. going on, he's just despicable and attributing to him a foul odor makes the insult more concrete, more creative.

Besides, you're implying that Billy Zane smells bad, and that's a no-no.

3. NightCrisis Twilight Town Denizen

I guess--we'll have to wait for the next upcoming game. What I think is that Riku could smell darkness--which is probably a rare ability that no one else has.