Chain of Memories whats the deal with riku smelling everything?

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 ReMIX' started by Beucefilous, May 9, 2011.

1. Beucefilous Kingdom Keeper

like for example he knew diz wasn't ansem SOD because he smelled different. wtf is with that. the only answer i can think of is ansem is in his heart, making him half heartless or something

2. Rena88 Twilight Town Denizen

Sensing the level of darkness/light in someone was just one of the abilities Riku gained when he welcomed the darkness within himself. Though why they decided to make it his sense of smell instead of just saying he senses it, I have no clue.

3. Misty gimme kiss

It's not their smell as in "ew you smell like garlic," it's a bit more symbolic than that. He knew that DiZ was not the "Ansem" he had encountered because they had a different aura. Why Nomura used smell for that, well, I guess we'll never know. But we nonetheless can tell that Riku is quite perceptive from it.

4. Saxima [screams geometrically]

I'm thinking that the fact of the matter is that it's not actually 'smelling' it could be sensing the person's aura, of that sorts anyway.

5. Loxare Hollow Bastion Committee

its fine. Zexion does the same thing. "Riku smells very similar to the Superior for some reason" or something like that.

6. Daxa~ #stalker

I thought it was pretty creepy xD
    But Riku and Zexion do seem to have a great sense of smell.....
    Dont know why though :p

7. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Like everyone said, it's "sensing." I think it's because Riku was a relatively normal kid growing up on an island that the idea of "sensing" things never occurred to him so he thinks of it as smelling.

8. pipedownandlisten Destiny Islands Resident

I would laugh my head off every time Riku said he smelled something..... blah blah blah. It was weird to me, because he used the word SMELL SO many times! I called him a puppy and cracked a lot of jokes about this. It was just weird, but I love noticing simple things that are slightly amusing, because I always make them more amusing than they need to be. For example, throughout Riku's story, the word DARKNESS appears SO often. Okay, we understand that Riku is trying to get rid of his darkness, but do we really need to keep hearing THAT WORD? Why can't we use synonyms or something? It is just too much.

9. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Well, Nomura just decided to give Riku a better sense of smell.

Maybe it was to make his plotline more interesting, as without it he never would've discovered that the Ansem in Twilight Town was really DiZ.

10. Ventus PSP Aqua Gummi Ship Junkie

I would say the darkness in his heart gaved him that ability. I'm sure anyone that has darkness can do the same, like org.XIII

11. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

I'd say that different characters have a distinct "scent" along the lines of their DNA in that everyone has their unique "scent" which Riku senses. Because it is called scent, Riku can "smell" it. Though I'd rather call it sensing rather than smelling.

12. Llave Superless Moderator

Concurring with Noz here.

It could have been a translation issue. Maybe the term for sensing in Japanese is closer to the term of smelling, so that's kind of what they conjured up in the English version.

13. Beucefilous Kingdom Keeper

That actually makes a lot of sense. A translation error.

14. ShibuyaGato Transformation

This actually makes a lot of sense.

He touches his heart a lot in the game, so he may have just been sensing the presence of absence of darkness. After everything he went through in the original game, it makes a hell of a lot more sense than smell.

15. Excasr The Forgotten XIII

It's funny... but yes, he smell everything. More like... it's his style say "smell", just it's Sora's style say "feel". Maybe... let's think in this was. smell = wild = out control = heartless = Darkness. Feel = light = heart.

Light = Sora
    Darkness = Riku

I always thought like that.

16. NamineArtistOfLove Destiny Islands Resident

He has heightened senses thanks to the darkness. I think logically smell would be the best way to recognize someone because they can always change how they look/sound and feeling them is honestly pointless unless you're blind. Er...unless you want Riku to go around licking people. O_O' Which is kind of scary to think about...

17. AlexleHoshi Dude called Alex

I'll have to disagree here because of what Riku says to Ansem SoD before their last battle.

Riku: *points* You stink!

Now we'd only use that use if something smells bad right?

Also that line made me and a friend laugh in the middle of English when we should have been watching a film.

18. Beucefilous Kingdom Keeper

Actually, if i remember correctly, he says "I just can't stand your foul stench!" Which sounds relatively similar to sense.

19. AlexleHoshi Dude called Alex

20. Beucefilous Kingdom Keeper