Kingdom Hearts III What will the plot twist be?

Discussion in 'General & Upcoming Kingdom Hearts' started by Chad Thundercucc, Dec 12, 2015.

1. Chad Thundercucc The dharma of valvu; the dream of a clatoris

KH1's plot twist was the Riku was evil. COM's plot twist was that Riku and Mickey were in the castle. KH2's plot twist was that Ansem isn't Ansem, that Sora was actually helping the organization by killing heartless and Riku had Ansem's Heartless's body. BBS's plot twist was that Vanitas looked like Sora. DDD's plot twists were that Xehanort can time travel, Lea gets a keyblade, and the organization is alive again. Day's plot twist was that Xion was a replica of Sora's memories. Not sure what Coded's was since I didn't play it.

But my point is that the games have a history of having plot twists. The question is, what will the plot twist for this one be?

2. Kaidron Blaze Kingdom Keeper

The Gale Valleys, before the darkness attacks...
    Riku being evil wasn't really a plot twist tbh since he dived into darkness at the start of the game and was with Maleflicent who was the main antagonist.
    I belive the plot twist to 3 will have something to do with Kingdom hearts itself. Revealing it's true nature maybe, something like that.

3. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

I have a feeling it involves the identities of the 13 Seekers of Darkness who have yet to be revealed. I believe I read an interview with Nomura saying something along the lines of not to expect who we're expecting to be part of the group.

4. Kaidron Blaze Kingdom Keeper

The Gale Valleys, before the darkness attacks...
    That's quite cryptic. Wonder if they will throw a fast ball at us and have someone like Sora's mother as one of the 13 that would DEFINTLY be unexpected

5. Iskandar King of Conquerors

If they did someone like Sephiroth, I'd have to laugh my pants off

6. Misty gimme kiss

I don't think all of these necessarily qualify as plot twists so much as reveals. Most of them don't alter the storyline of the game in any kind of meaningful or profound way.
    But Riku's isn't evil. Maybe you could say that Riku being possessed by Ansem is a twist, but I'd say the bigger plot twist is when Sora learns that Kairi's heart has been inside him all along. Riku revealing he's the true wielder of the Keyblade might count had it not been resolved rather quickly and never really mentioned again in the series.
    Did this really change the course of Sora's narrative? And for Reverse/Rebirth, it's pretty much an essential foundation. There's no big reveal, to me, in Chain of Memories. Namine messing with Sora's memories might count if the player wasn't totally aware of it through the entire game.

Too often people conflate 'plot twists' with 'things happening in the story.' A plot twist alters the events of the story in a deep way, so much so that, if removed, the story would not follow the same track it originally did. If Vanitas just looked like some ordinary guy, the plot of Ven's story in Birth by Sleep would have been essentially identical. A lot of the reveals in the series -- like Sora discovering he's been helping the Organization in Kingdom Hearts II -- don't really add up to a big change in the game's story. That might be more sloppy writing than anything, but I wouldn't say this series has a history of plot twists, nor do I expect a major one in the final chapter of the Xehanort Saga.

Think of Star Wars, for example. Vader revealing that he's Luke's father is one of the most famous and classic plot twists, and it deeply affects the narrative moving forward. It pushes Luke to see the human in Vader, pushes Vader to turn against the Emperor in Return of the Jedi, and so forth. All the Vanitas face reveal did was excite fans.

There's plenty of loose threads that the series needs to tie up without adding needless twists and complications in Kingdom Hearts III. We know what to expect, and that's natural and right for an ending (which Kingdom Hearts III is). That's not to say there will be no surprise or suspense in the game, but I don't anticipate any big, earth-shattering twists.