"What Makes Art- Art?"

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by ryan9234, Nov 15, 2006.

?

“What Makes Art- Art?â€

1. All Art is just Good.

4 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. All Art is Great.

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  3. Certain people determine whether Art is Art.

8 vote(s)
    16.3%
  4. Art is Art if it has an edge.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Art is Art if it’s erotic.

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  6. Art is Art if it provokes the imagination.

12 vote(s)
    24.5%
  7. Art is Art for how detailed it is.

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  8. Art is Art from the emotion coming from the Art.

14 vote(s)
    28.6%
  9. Art is Art from something else.

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ryan9234 Traverse Town Homebody

My Art teacher pointed this out once; he asked "What makes Art- Art?†What does it take for a painting to be good? What does it take for a painting to be great? What does it take for a painting to be bad? In the eyes of a mother, when her child gives her a figure painted picture that she puts on the refrigerator and brags and tells about it to everyone else, does it make the Art Great? Or is it even considered Art?
    [​IMG]
    Is it in the eyes of the beholder that says wither or not the Art is good? But if so who are they? Would they only look at the appealing side of Art or the dark side as well that has an edge that no one wants to share?
    [​IMG]
    Or an edge that is erotic?
    [​IMG]
    Should it provoke the imagination?
    [​IMG]
    Or is it the amount of detail in the Art?
    [​IMG]
    Does emotion really even matter in the Art? Does it need it? The Mona Lisa is smiling- does that means she's happy? Does that make it a good painting? Or does the worth of the painting come from the emotion that is coming from inside the Art?
    [​IMG]
    But what does it matter? She's smiling- isn't that all that matters? What you see?

“What Makes Art- Art?â€

2. hahannuh Gummi Ship Junkie

i didn't want to vote because well, just read this if you want to know...

Art is using creativity and imagination to turn normal ordinary things into complex and inventive things which capture a certain essence. This is true for every type of art form: painting, music, architecture, sculpting, writing, etc. Every artist starts his or her project with simple things. A painter has a blank canvas, paints, brushes, and a palette. A musician has blank music pages and notes. An architect has a blank layout, a ruler, and a pencil. These artists all use his or her minds and talents to change the everyday ordinary things into something extraordinary. When one thinks of how a painter makes something look realistic, one must remember that he or she only begins with paints and brushes but he ended up with more than paint on a blank canvas. This artist captured an idea, feeling, and inspiration. Art is not only for the pleasure of our sight but it also expands our minds and forces us to think outside of the box and dream of all possibilities. All art connects in a certain way and they link together; from one artist’s idea comes another artist’s inspiration and the chain never ends. Art is not only the way the light looks on certain shapes or how different shades of colors contrast, but it is also a way to express human emotion and belief. Although people may not agree with certain artists’ opinions, art is a great way to put your idea out in the public. Art connects humans and ideas and it must be cherished from now until the end of our human race.

this was a journal i wrote for my ap art history class.

3. Inasuma "pumpkin"

I didn't pick any of those...

I think Art is art holding to a sentimental value; like my mom has TONS of old art, when she can go sell it for mil's. She doesn't, because she knows she made it during the time I was little; like she would be selling her memory, basically, by selling these things.

Art can be in all of the forms you explained. I personally think it's not the look of it, but the meaning in which that lies inside of it's contents.

The look only makes it more appealing, but if you can make hidden messages in them; much like the one of Jesus at the last dinner from the Davinci Code (book), then it's a masterpiece.

:)

4. Darkandroid Gets it Together

It's one of those thing were you wonder where is the boundary, like mordern art, cutting a cow in half and calling it Art, throwing paint of a wall, something a baby can do, it is art. It is all in the eyes of be beholder, people say it is something that has meaning and statement, so i can screw up a bit of paper, throw it on the floor and called it art because to me is represents the state of the earth at the moment.

It's all based on a person's opinion.

5. Ratchet Bah weep graaagnah wheep ni ni bong!

I personally think good art makes you think and evokes a reaction. I like things that make me smile or wonder what the artist was thinking when they created the item.

6. 2Foxxie4U ~The Forgotten Crusader...~

I can't remember who said this, but I think it strikes up a good point. "Jazz is like art. If you have to ask what makes it jazz, then you'll never know."

Meh... Now I wanna listen to some... >.>

7. ~tReAh867~ Twilight Town Denizen

Ferngully?... no, wait, that's not right...
    Art is art when it invokes interest in the audience, be it visual, auditory, sentimental, mental, or any other kind of interest. If you feel something for the art then it is art. If you see something that you just can't stop looking at, then its art. If you hear something that you can't stop listening to, then it's art.

Basically, art really is determined by the individual. What one person may consider art, another may not. It's all based on opinion.

And you also have to keep in mind that visual art is not the only art form. There is music, sports, science, and so many other art forms. Art in a sense is life.

Ok, this is starting to sound weird. One last thing: I like that picture with the handprint. It's beautiful.

8. JackS27 Twilight Town Denizen

Art is, like beauty, truly in the eye of the beholder. I think anything that's put on paper or film can be good art if the right person is looking at it. One person's masterpiece is another person's steaming pile of feces, so there really is no such thing as universally good or bad art.

9. ~tReAh867~ Twilight Town Denizen

Ferngully?... no, wait, that's not right...
    As much as art is in the eye of the beholder, from what I've learned in art you have to keep in mind the principles and elements of design. There is value, shape, form, pattern, contrast, balance, emphasis, and many more. When an artist creates a piece, he or she should keep these things in mind, along with composition.

Still, art could be something that does not follow these rules. I just thought it was worth mentioning.

10. RPGgamer Traverse Town Homebody

Art can show different feelings about the person. It shows that he person may have made the art for a certain reason. I mean look at the splatter paint, it had nothing on it, just a bunch of blotches, but it's still called art. Art can show ways the person may feel. The blotch art may have showed that the artist was thinking of blood because of the red paint.

11. Akio Traverse Town Homebody

For those of you who know.... you know... =P
    Art is art only if the artist wants it to be. It is complex, and a question that has no defined answer, but it is, well should be, up to the artist if what he/she makes is art. Most will say it's in the eyes of the beholder, but it's really in the eyes of the creator.

Many famous artist never wanted their works to be in museums, and never thought of them as art, such as a doodle or something they did for no reason. It's everyone around the artist who will tell him/her that they have made art, but it's still to the artist whether or not it is.

I know in my life I've made a lot of crap that others thought was art, even winning my a couple of ribbons here and there, but most of the time I make what I want just for that moment, not for it to be labeled 'art'.

At least that my opinion. *Nods, shuffles some papers, and steps down from his podium*

12. AkuseruVIII Banned

Art isn't anything tangible I think art is just the way you the observer sees things. I realize it sounds like a load of s**t but, consider this a person covers an infinite amount of positions in every motion it's like trying to solve pi or reach zero through halving. There are too many to contain in the mind or sight of a human but there are specific meaningful points that can be brought out of the mass. When you see the ones that matter-that is art. Or so I believe, I could go into a life's story but the thought wearies me so this shall suffice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.