What do you do in Debates?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Johnny Bravo, Jun 25, 2012.

1. Johnny Bravo Chaser

This is kind of a weird question, I know, but when you are in a debate or an argument, what do you do or what do you not like that others do? (I dont know if that makes sense) Like is there something that bugs you when you argue with someone? Do you have a specific style of debating? For me, personally, I cannot stand it when I am debating (online or over text) and the other person cannot or does not spell out words completely. (Example: u no wat, ur makin no cents) I have found that when I argue, I tend to use less common words such as Berserk, intermediary, Snarky, avaricious, and so on.

2. Riku-Sama's Shadow Hollow Bastion Committee

I can't be biased or opinionated in a debate. All points must be backed up by good, convincing reasons and evidence in order for your argument to be the best.

I tend to use a more vast vocabulary when debating. It seems more knowledgable, professional, and sounds better overall.

I listen to what the other person has to say, acknowledge their words, and then state facts or reasons as to why they are "wrong" or how my argument is better.

I list a fault or two about my side of the argument, but then I absolutely MUST state a resolution. Stating a fault from your own side proves you are aware that both sides are imperfect, but that yours can be fixed. If you don't state HOW though, you'll just be making yourself look bad.

(:

3. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Leave because I suck horribly at debates :/

4. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

I generally deal with the question at hand, explain my views cocisely, elaborate more if needed, more so if asked by others. Evidence if needed but not strictly a rule, more likely to use real life examples if applicable in the situation.

But i don't have a strict formula to follow, i go where the debate takes me.

Would you kindly elaborate for me how you are bad at them?

5. Noroz I Wish Happiness Always Be With You

He's serious. This is the discussion section, where you are supposed to answer and explain. That post right there, for example, is spam. (And that is the worst use of the Fry meme I think I have ever seen)

Anyhow, back on topic.
    Depends what it is about. If it's a case I care about, I can sometimes get heated, if the person is completely ignorant to other opinions. Usually, however, I tend to, like PaW, use examples from experiences/real life if applicable. Otherwise, I usually just explain my opinion, and listen to the other side of the coin, only to explain why he/her is wrong.

If it proves I am wrong, I usually swallow my pride and admit it. That really depends on who I am debating with. Online I often do additional research as the debate goes on, but offline, I tend to be very direct regarding what I am talking about, not beating around the bush. I don't brag if I win an argument either.

6. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I don't think I have a set way, but I think I usually aim for credibility, such as pointing out contradictions and fallacies in my opponent's argument. I have a bad habit of working on bringing their argument down more than bringing my own up.
    Actually, it isn't. For this section, posts have to have substance.
    Both of your responses are less than ten words and isn't really anything to discuss. If you really don't wish to respond to the question (I can't tell if you mean that in a debate or the question Peace and War asked. If it's the former, then disregard this), then don't post. Those kinds of posts are usually deleted.

7. Styx That's me inside your head.

Lately I tend to avoid the Debate Corner, or indeed any Discussion thread since they all wind up being debates anyway. They're not half as fun as they used to be.

I belittle my opponent's views because I know from experience that they will think longer and harder about the criticism I just gave them. I make use of analogies from everyday life to get that point across. Ideally, I will make my opponent wonder why (s)he didn't think of that in the first place. Another personal favourite strategy of mine is "reversal time", when I try to use my opponent's own logic against him/her.
    Often opponents of mine have tried to stray off-topic to conceal fatal flaws in their ideology, and I fell for it frequently but I'm beginning to wisen up on that.

I assume I've shut my opponent up when they stop replying, because I know debate-loving members of KHV are too proud to back down if they have even a sliver of an argument left (myself included, mind you). My main goal is to challenge my own logic, and if possible, to force a shift in my opponent's opinion, even if it is but a slight one.

8. EvilMan_89 Code Master

i usually don't take one side all the way completely because i rarely ever feel as though one side is completely correct. so i'm usually the person who's kind of neutral because i usually can find some points of validity on both sides of a debate. i try to find some kind of middle ground with both sides and try to build some kind of understanding between them but it hardly works. i don't like the one sided nature of debating so i don't really participate in them anymore.