What difficulty do you prefer to play on?

Discussion in 'General & Upcoming Kingdom Hearts' started by Chad Thundercucc, Feb 11, 2015.

1. Chad Thundercucc The dharma of valvu; the dream of a clatoris

What difficulty do you guys usually like to play on, and why?

Personally, I always choose the highest difficulty. Not because I wanna get trophies or whatever, but because it's so satisfying knowing that I can beat the very hardest, without breaking the game, that the devs can give me. However, I personally don't like doing lvl 1 runs, because it feels like artificial difficulty, and the game goes on for way too long.

Plus, KH2FM on Critical mode feels like a COMPLETELY different game from Proud mode in vanilla KH2, in the sense that each boss battle is actually challenging, magic becomes necessary at some points, and it makes you a master of the game's mechanics.

2. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Standard/Normal, because I don't want to play a super hard game, but I don't want it to be super easy, either.

3. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

I usually like to play on the highest difficulty I can, especially due to the fact that I put so many hours (kh2 specifically) on these games. It is nice to have a longer more intense battle that you might not actually win. It is also way more fulfilling when you put in the effort to win. I don't want to play something that is so easy that I am pretty much watching a movie at that point (minus the relaxation).

4. Amaury Legendary Hero

Same for the exact same reasons.

5. Explode Who?!

I can enjoy any difficulty, but I like to do the hardest difficulty at least once. I really like the way Critical Mode rebalances the game so you're more powerful and have more options (mainly finishing plus from the start), but the game gets progressively harder due to you not gaining as much HP as you level. It's not WAY harder than Proud Mode, mostly just different, but gives an extra challenge.

Right now I'm doing a KH2FM level 1 Critical Mode run, and boy is that ridiculously tough. Just about anything can kill you in 1 or 2 hits, so it forces you to think about battles way differently. Battles that used to be trivial before are now often the hardest ones, and boss battles become a race to kill them before you run out of resources. And it basically forces you to learn every enemy and bosses attack patterns, how to react, and in some cases exploit that. Game mechanics that you might have totally ignored before become your life savers. I went from never using summons, (aside from to level them up) to understanding how valuable they are. Healing is gone from my shortcut menu so I have more offensive options, and I now use potions almost exclusively so I can save my MP for magic and limits. Currently doing Port Royal Second Visit, and probably died about ten times on just that final Grim Reaper fight. Having to collect tiny gold coins at the feet of a monster that can one-shot you is pretty scary.

6. Misty gimme kiss

I typically do my first run on Standard or Normal (whatever it happens to be called in the particular title). That way I can experience the story with somewhat of a challenge, but I'm not likely to get majorly stuck anywhere or die a lot. After I've finished any game (or book, or movie, or tv show... it's kind of a problem) I usually want to run-through a second time to experience the story again, explore areas and pick up collectibles I might have missed the first go-around, and see if there's any neat foreshadowing going on in the story. For that run I'll usually choose the higher difficulty as I'm more adjusted to the combat system and the enemies/bosses.

I'm not one for the excessive challenge runs, I've never 100%'d a KH game or done a LVL1 Critical Mode run or anything like that. I'm not good enough at video games for it, I guess. U:

7. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

I'd only ever suggest trying to 100% a game (that is actually challenging to 100%) if you have a very large amount of free time. It makes the whole experience that much more worth it, but as mentioned before it is very foolish to attempt when busy. Thus my lack of serious gaming as of late lol

8. Misty gimme kiss

Yeah, maybe in my younger days, when I had more free time lol. I guess I supposedly 100%'d Tomb Raider but that was just picking up collectibles, which offered an XP bonus, and wasn't a big time suck. For a Kingdom Hearts title it's obviously way more work than that for very little payoff. If you love the game that's fine, but I have a dozen more on my shelf to play -- not to say KH isn't special to me, I spend more time on it than I would some other games, but you get me.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  9. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Beginner's mode (don't judge me!)
    I usually just wanna get through the story as quickly as possible. When I replay though, I do try out the harder difficulties to get trophies, though I haven't tried anything above Proud mode yet.

10. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I try to play through on the standard mode to enjoy it, I'm not amazing at the game and I get quite frustrated with it at times if I can't get passed a boss. Of course when I am better at the game and I know it well then I go onto proud.

11. Roxanna123 Merlin's Housekeeper

That's how I am.

12. Flinch Cat Moogle Assistant

Usually Normal or Hard. I get extremely bored if there's no challenge for me, so I rarely ever play on Easy mode unless it's an Atlus game. Although, I admit that I get really irritated really easily, especially if I have a tough time against a boss I have to fight a hundred times over, so... Yeah, normally I play Normal.

13. Gelatinous Ghost Twilight Town Denizen

When I was younger (Like 12-14) and first got into KH, I would always play on the standard difficulty. Now that I am in my mid 20's and I am revisiting the series through the releases of the HD collections, I have been playing on proud mode. It allows me access to all trophies save for those which require critical difficulty. However, it isn't really even a trophy related issue for me. I choose proud for the simple reason that I could complete the games as a child with unskilled button mashing on standard. As an adult, I should be able to not only up the difficulty of the game itself, but I should also be able to better grasp the battle mechanics and specific enemy battle patterns than I ever could ten to twelve years ago. Simple as that. So far, I enjoy the challenge proud mode has given me.

I have never yet played on critical in any KH title. Probably never will. Just based on my experience with proud, anything more difficult would likely *just* surpass the threshold of challenging and instead become tedious and frustrating. Those that complete critical runs at level one have my utmost praise and respect. However, this is again something far too intensive for what I want out of the game. Until Square decides that certain story related material shall only be unlockable in critical, or somehow, in level 1 critical runs, proud is likely where my playthroughs will stay.​