What created God?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by jafar, Aug 25, 2009.

1. Joseki Traverse Town Homebody

The whole who created god thing...I don't think it matters, at all. The idea of a singular god is that he is singular, and has existed always. There isn't a way to explain or rationalize it, it just is what it is - its part of having faith.

2. childofturin Why?

You know, Voltaire once said that if God had not existed, it would have been necessary to create him. In my mind, that's kind of what happened. Whether divinely inspired or not, early man, trying to answer questions about the world around him, made up a god to explain the world's existence and current state. Then it just kinda snowballed into the tens of thousands of religions, cults, and denominations throughout history.

3. Inasuma "pumpkin"

God has characteristics of being omnipresent, omniscient and omnipotent. Yep. There's no way we can say how he was made without making it up, basically. Because he's so infinite, it's really outside of our understanding... completely.

I like to think of God as a life-force, rather than as an actual entity. But he might be an entity if he's so far outside of my understanding. I guess I might never know. lol

4. Bond of Flame I'm an alien

Well, God has always been there. I'm a Christian, and this is about the only reasonable answer I can give.

OR: Nothing created god?

5. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Can not a being just be?

I like the idea that the Dao was the creator of God. And for those who don't know, the Dao is basically what you would call the origin of existence, the very creator and sustainer of all existence, what connects everything together.
    'It can can never die, since it was never born, the mother of God, it has been there longer than the first star.'

I 'agree' with the building blocks of existence to have created God, in some direct or indirect way, still the fact of Gods' (or Dao's) existence lay in mystery.

6. Inasuma "pumpkin"

Nothing can't create something. That is like saying nothing created everything. Therefore nothing is substituted as God (not trying to superimpose your question).

A being can't "be" because a "being" is finite compared to what we are told of God. God therefore shouldn't be considered a being as such, but rather a force, something much more than finite.

7. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Thats only thinking inside the box. The fact that nothing, in theory, may have created the universe through a process such as the Big Bang, from nothing into something is possible.

I was using it more as a rhetorical device, but God can be considered a being in a way, similar in the way that Mother Nature is a 'being' that chooses the outcome of certain situations. But I agree that natural force is greater than finite.

8. Radiowave ITSA PIIINCH

I feel as though man created the concept of god, but there are several ways to look at the issue...one is that everything in the bible is untrue and that miracles never happened and all of it was fake or useless except the ideas based on principles and morals everyone should generally follow (like be nice to your neighbor/etc.)

the other is that all these miracles and **** and everything in the bible actually happened and we just falsely tacked to some being we made up called "god."

like, maybe the idea of god is manmade but it doesnt necessarily say that there isnt something out there...

I sort of agree with my first idea more, that most of the stuff is untrue or was really some event that can easily be explained now, but still there is the possibility of the second one.

9. Inasuma "pumpkin"

Yes, it is possible. But not in the reality you and I share, which was the point I tried to make. Sorry if it didn't quite come across. lol

10. Peace and War Bianca, you minx!

Fair enough, I get ya. ^^

11. The Fuk? Dead

A long unsolved argument. I find it funny because my sociology teacher say, "Nothing acting on nothing doesn't produce something" Well then how did god get here. What he's saying is, something can't just all of a sudden "be" So where did god come from.

12. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

If you beilieve the Christians (which I DON'T) they'll tell you that God is eternal, the Alpha and Omega, the creator and destroyer of all. He is eternal for he created everything and there is no existence without him.

I, however, think this is a load of **** and that is why I'm waiting for incontrovertible proof.

13. Snow Princess King's Apprentice

nothing created god; He has always been, is now, and always will be here... thats a good way to think about it :D

14. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

My religion has a very simple answer for this. "We don't know."

Simple, no?

I lol'd :lolface:

15. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

Why did you lol?

16. Styx That's me inside your head.

This is indeed the answer that your religion has. It is however not or only seldom the answer that your religion gives.
    Perfect example:

17. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

Well aren't you being nitpicky when my point is clear. Fine;

My religion gives a very simple answer for this. "We don't know."

Simple, no?

Better?

18. Styx That's me inside your head.

Actually, I wasn't trying to correct you. It was more like adding to the point while dealing a jab to organized religion because I just like doing that.
    Your point was clear enough. And so was mine actually.

19. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

Oh, that post was taking...OH. In which case I must say that I am disappointed that you would think that all factions of an organization would take such similar views. Granted most branches of Christianity will, but dealing that accusation to Christianity in general is just wrong. :B|:

20. ♥AL90♥ Hollow Bastion Committee

Why is it about where I live? Where do you live?
    It's really hard for me to see it as "God has always been there" but I know that's what is.

Sure it's not logical but then again what is logic. Is it the concept of how far we can understand something? We have no idea what it's like to "always be here" therefore we cannot judge and say "God was created" if we haven't been outside of time and space and actually seen what caused the universe to be created.

Honestly these debates I feel are pointless, because religious people will always stick to their beliefs and atheists will stick to theirs. And the only thing that's accomplished is flaming each other's beliefs and then people get hurt.

So a better question than "What created God?" would be "Why are we debating something that won't be resolved?"