Dream Drop Distance Voice change option possible in future games?

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD II.8: Final Chapter Prologue' started by Shikou, Oct 27, 2011.

1. Rhiscx Banned

Fine, I see your point there. But you gotta admit, Minnie+Jap voice=hot.

Llave, back me up on this one.

2. Llave Superless Moderator

Oh yes, there are some great Japanese renditions of the voices, that is a prime example. Like I said before, some are not so good due to the way they sound like Goofy and Donald, but there are some good voices as well. But I think I could deal with the voices if they provide bilingual options, that way I don't feel stuck to one language.

[video=youtube;fPfTQkMZQc0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPfTQkMZQc0[/video]

3. Excasr The Forgotten XIII

This would be perfect!
    Yeah, I have to agree that Japanese voices are better. They have more emotions. Also, I would like the subtitle option (Free-subtitle, English and Japanse subtitles). Then when I set to English audio, I will set free-subtitle, and if I play in Japanese audio (of course I would!) I would set to English. But maybe having portugueses subtitle won't hurt too. =]

4. Shikou Kingdom Keeper

English subtitles will always be there in video games no matter what the audio is my friend so dont worry :)

5. Misty gimme kiss

I think the biggest issue here is that it would delay release, and it would mean all countries essentially get the same game.

One of the reasons there is often a few months' gap between the Japanese release and the NA release is because they have to translate the game menus/text and record the new voices. If they're including the English voices in the Japanese release, it'll take time to record those English voices, and the Japanese will get the game later than they would have had they not had to wait.

Secondly, a bit of history: typically, a Kingdom Hearts game is released in Japan. Square listens to consumer feedback (i.e. this boss is too hard, this boss is too easy, and so on), goes back and makes some changes, throws in a few bonuses, and translates the game, which is then released to NA & Europe. This is why the Japanese KH1, for example, didn't have bosses like Kurt Zisa or the Clocktower Phantom.
    The Japanese, of course, miss out on these additions and changes, so a "Final Mix" is released to just them, which has the previous additions and a bit more.
    So, if they do just do a worldwide release (as in everyone gets the game at the same time), we'd be missing out on those changes and additions.
    However, since we're in an age of DLC & such now, they could always release one with some updates & additions.

Unless you guys are talking about doing the typical game release, and when the NA/Europe games are created, just leaving in an option for Japanese audio. In which case both of my points are moot, haha. The only issue I see with that is that, in the case of KH2, they were struggling with disk space, and some stuff was cut. But since KH3 (if it's ever released) would likely be on the PS3, they've got a much larger disk to work with (I think Blu-Ray disks hold 25GB?).

Personally I sometimes prefer the Japanese voices, like in Soul Calibur, but I dunno if I'd want it in a story-driven game like Kingdom Hearts--reading subtitles often distracts me from the actual scene. To each one's own, though.

6. Shikou Kingdom Keeper

Speaking of DLC, do you think it would be possible for a "Japanese audio option menu" DLC of some kind instead?

7. Rhiscx Banned

Just from what I know, that would take some serious programing to add a function like that as a DLC. Not that it's a bad idea, but what Misty said, something like that would be a serious time-constraight. With all game titles companies advertise and release, they would have to prioritize it. And I have a feeling something like that would be put on the back shelf. EX: FFVII remake.

8. Llave Superless Moderator

I don't think a DLC of "Japanese audio" would really work... I mean, that is a whole system that needs to be integrated into a game, so it's not as simple as a character design or something like that.

9. Shikou Kingdom Keeper

Its a start but on second thought I think it might be something difficult for the game it's self to handle.

10. Llave Superless Moderator

Indeed, if they were to make such a system, my guess would be they share the "script" with the English cast while the Japanese cast is recording, and the English does the same. Then when the game is ready for production, there will be both languages and subtitles. My guess is that Japan would most likely have the game out first, and then NA and EU and the rest would probably get it within 2-4 weeks after Japan, since there wouldn't be any need to translate since it would already have English built into it.

11. Blader Traverse Town Homebody

I remember the Atlus 2001 game Skygunner did that. You could choose between Japanese and English voice acting and subtitles, and there was bit of a wait. Japanese release: September 2001. NA release: June 2002. Yeah... That's a while. I wouldn't mind, however.

12. Excasr The Forgotten XIII

Oh, I totally forgot about this...

True, I don't know if I can wait that much to play. Or maybe I could if this result in a great result.

I can't decide though.

13. Llave Superless Moderator

Well if you think about it, essentially it would be relatively the same time.

Let's say a game's release date is May 2012 for Japan. We may get it for another 4-8 months, let's say November 2012. This is the result of nearly stripping all the Japanese audio and text from the game and adding English audio and text to it. If a game is made that is both Japanese and English, all they need is to make it possible to switch between the two languages. Essentially the same time. So in the end, the Japanese would be at a loss, for their release date would be November 2012 along with the rest of us rather than May 2012.

14. Excasr The Forgotten XIII

Um, I see.
    But it would be a lot heavy, right? Like have all those features in the games...

15. Shikou Kingdom Keeper

Hmm.... that is very true. The longer you wait the more satisfying something would be *cough* FF Versus XIII *cough*.
    (Yeah thats right, I went there)

Take this for example, the English version of Dissidia 012 was released like 2 or 3 weeks after the Japanese release. If more games work that way it is possible. I dont think adding the Japanese voices would be a problem in the English version if thats the case of what your trying to say.

16. Llave Superless Moderator

Not really. It would just be a matter of applying the option to switch languages and subtitle languages in the options menu. Kind of like a DVD's feature to do the same, only a video game.

Essentially, yes. Imputing both Japanese and English language and subtitle settings would cut the time between the Japanese release and the English releases, because it is the same game, they don't need to do the process of region-izing it.

17. ShibuyaGato Transformation

This option might be enjoyable for future entries.

Personally, I'd also like to see an option to switch subtitles on and off. They always distracted me from the cutscenes.

18. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

Personally, I'd rather stick to the English version because of Disney characters, and I really love hearing voice acting by actors like Christopher Lee and Leonard Nimoy.

19. ygorvaz Destiny Islands Resident

So, how about just the final mix having the voice option change? like, there is the normal JP release, then the US release, since every voice is already recorded in both languages, you just put them in the game and the option to change it in-game, the game would not have to be delayed, and everybody would be able to play the Final Mix. If I'm not wrong KH2FM has the voice option change in the theather menu. So, with the voice option change, the final mix would be the most complete game, what you think?

20. phoenixkh93 Gummi Ship Junkie

Personally overall I don't think Japanese voice actors are any better/worse than English ones. Sure Aqua was a bit meh in BBS I agree. But I've watched a ton of Anime in both English and Japanese and in general I just find that while Japanese lip syncing is more natural and slick the actual acting is the same. It's just that for most people they don't understand the Japanese so any parts that would sound awkward or not very well acted to someone who understands Japanese would go straight over the heads of people watching it with subs.
    I wouldn't mind the option to have games in Japanese but I know for most Square games where the VA production is pretty good anyway for English I would choose that, plus the fact I'm really familiar with the voices already.
    ...And I love the fact that I can watch films like Titanic and know that the guy who plays the fiance was also Ansem SoD and have a little laugh to myself. Cos I'm a bit sad like that :)