Visualizing while Reading...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by SoraUchiha, May 17, 2010.

1. Cloud.Strife. Traverse Town Homebody

i always visualize, but it's like a instinct, and your brain does it immediatley.
    So it's like blinking. You have to do it. you can train yourself not too, but what's the fun in that?

2. What? 『 music is freedom 』

I would agree with this good sir's statement here. Our brains may be essentially conditioned in such a way as to visualize aforementioned images after reading through lines of text. One's brain is set to associate certain words with images, actions, ideas, and a handful of other concepts, which would lead to such visualizing - hence why some may stumble when an unfamiliar word is used in the passage, or if another language is used altogether. We are not aware of its definition, and thus cannot visualize anything from it. I am certainly not an expert on neurology or psychology, but I would presume that this visualization is done in an effort of clarification or a better understanding of the passage - indeed, the eyes are perhaps our most direct portal to our surroundings - at least for most people - and a visualization in lieu of such a process involving our eyes would allow us to better understand the situation in question as we are much used to it in the first place.

3. Always Dance Chaser

I agree, our brains think in pictures, not words. So I think when we read words, the brain kind of tries to translate it for us, as a visualization.

4. 9Kairi9hearts Twilight Town Denizen

I love both of those series, and I always try to visulize things, it actualy helps me when there are less details, cause it gives my brain more space to work with, some books I have trouble with doing this, others come naturaly,
    (for instance, when I was reading the warriors books, after reading, I had images of cats doing things form the book stuck in my head for a long time, I still sometimes get flashes of
    Scurge killing Tigerstar
    )

5. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

Well ... it depends entirely on the book. If the author has very accurately described the character, then I find it very easy to imgine them in my head. For example in Ethan Frome by Edith Whorrton (in my opinion is one of the best written, but worst books I have ever read), she uses brilliant description and I was immediately able to imagine the characters vividly in my head. I suppose, in a way, the depth of description she gave saved the book because the story was utter pants admittedly.

However, in other books, I have - at poins - found it very difficult to create images in my head. For example, on the few occasions where I have seen the film adaption before I read the book, I then immediately revert to the actor for imagery, rather than going it my head. Also, if the book is badly written, which for risk of flames and death I will not discuss specific examples, I found it very difficult to even understand what the author was trying to convey, let-alone try and visualise it my head. I suppose it all depends on the book and the author's writing style, at the end of the day.

6. Accalia Gummi Ship Junkie

I usually picture what's going on. If I can't do that bye bye book.

7. Love Kingdom Keeper

In a world where the sunset casts slender shadows
    Yeah I always have a tendency of visualizing the current scene I am reading about, thats why I usually pick out big detailed books ( mostly fantasy novels <3 I enjoy visualizing those) so it helps the visual flow through my mind. xD Mostly I check out the books for that kind of experience <3 Sometimes that happens when I'm listening to music as well, It drags a scene from one of my fanmade stories or a scene from something else into my mind. :] Even without lyrics <3

8. HellKitten Kingdom Keeper

Depends... For characters very rarely I'll stop to draw them out and if not then I just imagine them. For surroundings I have a habit of imagining areas I've already been to. I often imagine old houses that I used to live in when authors describe the environment of where a character lives.

9. kingdom_hearts_loverXX Gummi Ship Junkie

I like to visualize as I read, it's a common habit I suppose. Sometimes though can be a bit tough if the story is diffucult for one to understand. But like I've stated: it's a common thing ^^