Unacceptable Age of People Living at Parents' Home?

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by EvilMan_89, Jan 23, 2009.

?

Do you think there is a time/age where living with parents is unacceptable

1. Yes- there is a stage in life it is unacceptable

26 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Yes- there is a speicfic age range it is unacceptable

10 vote(s)
    19.2%
  3. Yes- but for another reason not listed

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  4. No- there is no point it is unacceptable at all

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  1. EvilMan_89 Code Master

what i want to ask is this: is there a specific age range or stage in life (such as after high school/after college etc.) where it is very unacceptable for a person to still be living with their parents? what i mean is: do you think that there is an age or stage in life where people sort of HAVE to be living on their own? i know there are circumstances where it IS acceptable for the kids to be living with parents such as physical and mental handicaps but I want people to approach this question with the assumption that the children are healthy.

and yes this is in Discussion and not Debate because this is something very opinionated and i dont' feel it's proper for debating.

so.....go share your thoughts :)

2. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

With the current economic climate I would say that tradition will go out the window. It is certainly cheaper to stay in your family home for longer, not that your parents may agree lol

However, I'd say reaching 30 might be a bit much. You will (most likely) have be out of education for a while and have a job. Once you are earning enough and steadily then you should really move out.

3. Forever Love Life Without Limits

Quite honestly, I think that the children (however old they are) should be out on their own once they are able to support themselves. If the parents' child is in their late 20's or early 30's and they could make it just fine on their own, they should be. They're just too lazy if they don't.

I personally think that late 20's, early 30's is the max in my opinion. 40's is way overboard, and it's worse if that person doesn't have a job because Mom and Dad have provided them with money for however many years they have lived with them. They won't be there forever, so you might as well get used to living on your own at an early stage so you can take better care of yourself.

So, all in all, 28-35 is my limit, I'd say. Any older than that is a big no-no.

4. Styx That's me inside your head.

No there isn't, as long as you support your family with your income and not just leech off them.

5. Fayt-Harkwind Where yo curly mustache at?

I personally believe that being over 25 and still living with your parents in the current economic situation is a bit weird. I expect to be able to move out before i'm 22 but that may not happen thanks to the credit crunch or whatever America calls it.

6. Maka Albarn It's called love

It is good to move out and start a life of your own early so you can know what to do in the future, and learn how to provide yourself and a family. What I mean is when you turn eighteen and can live on your own. Living with your family when your still thrity is kind of weird. My age limit to living with your family would be 21 to 24 years old. After that, people should kind of learn to live out in the world.

7. EvilMan_89 Code Master

oh that's a good point i suppose because it's not like you would be burdening your parents this way.

8. Cherry Pie Pwns Gummi Ship Junkie

I think within a year out of college you should be out. I can't see how people can stand to live with their parents for years and years. Seriously... Of course there is some exceptions where it's alright for people to live with their parents past that age, like if you get kicked out of your house and need a place to stay for like a month or you live there to take care of them. But still, don't be a mooch. Outta school, outta the house. ​

9. Inasuma "pumpkin"

Of course, it's never wrong to live there. Growing up it is necessary, but yes, in our society, eventually you will need to move out and develop a life/story of your own. If however something happens that requires you to stay at your parents' house (lose your job, economic depression, etc), then that is also definitely okay.

10. Sonic the Hedgehog The Blue dude is back!!

I sayq that parents can be total a**holes.Like if ya wanna go out on a date.You can't if they say no.Stay up late,do as ya please.You can't do nothin while they are around.Bt when you get to about atmost 23,you should leave from your home.If you have problems,have your parents help you to find a place.Lots do it.

11. Aura Goddess

^This.

If you're between 25-35, I honestly think that person should be able to handle themselves just fine without their parents there. But then again, if you're living with your parents and you have a job, and you're helping pay the bills and all that, I say its perfectly fine. My aunt still lives with my grandparents and she's doing exactly that. She's helping my grandparents with the rent and everything else.

12. Sir Charles of Monocles The Fault in Our Stars

After 25 years old, unless your parnets can not live by themselves, you shouldn't live with them.

13. Envious623 Twilight Town Denizen

There are some circumstances where people have to live at their parents' house, but when you get to a certain point in your life it's just unacceptable. I suppose after graduating college is the time I think people should move out, or later if they're having trouble. However, to me, it's completely unacceptable if the person's around 26 or older and still living with their parents. I understand some circumstances exist, but to me, that's just laziness. ​

14. T3F Chaser

If you're married or in a serious relationship, then yes, its innapropriate (duh!)
    Other than that, I'd say 33 max to still be living with ur parents.

15. Zeonark Kingdom Keeper

Personally I will admit, I'm a bit of a momma's boy so I don't actually wish to leave her by herself. Then again we all have to grow up.

I'd say 26 max unless you have a elderly parent who can't support himself/herself through life alone. We needed them, now they need us. Lawl. Although if not then I would say spend year 25 looking for a girlfriend/boyfriend and then 26 maybe move out.

Staying home at College is acceptable in my book o-o

16. Jasper Cullen Hollow Bastion Committee

I think that once you leave for real college(not community college) that you shouldn't come back, unless something bad happens and your out of money or something else.

17. Spunk Ransom you're already perfect

I think that 30 is the max age. Once this person has reached this age they should be able to take care of themselves. And like you said, this is a healthy person, they can get themselves a job and support themselves by this age. Saying this, they might just be being lazy and do not wish to do anything, I thinkn this is when the parents have to pretty much give them a kick in the butt and make them do somthing.

18. Repliku Chaser

I don't know how some people can stay with their parents for years after school etc, but I don't feel at liberty that I could say they should not be there. Some people stay long after and into their 30s because a parent or grandparent is alone otherwise and doesn't want to be. Either that or they have a disability, or the parent and kid get along fine and nothing else is up so might as well stay.

I would say it's time to move out when you have a serious relationship. That basically a new person should not move into the household. However, I really don't care that much. The economy is crap right now and unless you can get a job that makes quite a bit of money, or get another roommate or 2, you won't be living separate from home. What bugs me would be if people live at home and don't work and are slobs, not contributing anything to living where they are. Of course, it's different if the person is disabled, but there's no excuse some 30 year old guy would be sitting around playing WoW all day and then yells at his mom to bring him a bowl of nachos because he's too lazy to move. I've watched that happen before and was just like 'wtf'.

19. OneSky_OneDestiny Merlin's Housekeeper

Yeah, like, say your 28 going on 29 and you're still living with your parents. That's just not cool. That makes me think of my brother. It's fun having him around, but he's 26 and still living with me and my mom. It makes me feel bad for him... XD (I like to make fun of my bro, tho)

20. KaiXIII Traverse Town Homebody

Virgin at 40 plz