Twilight Series [General Discussion Thread]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Garxena, Jul 13, 2008.

?

Favorite Twilight Series Book?

1. Twilight

21 vote(s)
    20.2%
  2. New Moon

15 vote(s)
    14.4%
  3. Eclipse

20 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. Breaking Dawn

15 vote(s)
    14.4%
  5. None of them

33 vote(s)
    31.7%
  1. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

So....its not a problem with the series itself so much as the fanbase? Hmmm

I can understand the sparkle, but Twilight isn't the first series to have vampire/human relations.
    However, it definitely might be the first to actually go into detail about it...now that may have been a bit much.

2. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I'm going to tell you guys the exact same thing that I tell my friends. Twilight isn't as great as the hype says. Honestly, I think the books are alright; not bad but not great. I can chat with one person about characters while I can talk about all the mistakes with another.
    The only reason why people do not like the series is because of the "glittery vampires". However, the majority of the people who complain about this are the people who haven't read the books and/or seen the movies. If they actually read the orginal book, they'll find so much more to complain about and they'll forget about the sparkles for a minute.

3. venster You never heard of me, but I pop in time to time

Yeah, it's more of the fanbase right now for me. Some of those girls can get really creepy. ><

I still haven't read the books, so I can't just say the books suck.

4. February Destiny Islands Resident

Dislike the Twilight series, because dislike the characters Edward and Bella. Edward has no character personality and what personality he has, relates to a rather creepy stalker behavior. And Bella is really plain, she has personality unlike Edward but she's plain and she just falls....... flat. Opinion though.

5. Plums Wakanda Forever

The books were alright, but it's the fanbase that also gets to me :/

However, I have a few problems with the characters.

Like Bueno said, Bella had a good personality to start out with, then she lost that.

And Edward had no personality to begin with. He was a giant Gary Stu, to be honest. The only flaw he had was Bella, but with super strength, speed, and over a 100 years of knowledge, that's pretty easy to protect.

I liked Alice though, except in that one scene in New Moon at the end. She didn't even tear up at that D:

6. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Agreed. I read somewhere that Meyer didn't describe Bella's appearance too detailed was so girls can imagine Bella as themselves and Edward's lack of personality lets the girls fill in the holes to make their perfect man. So female readers actually feel like Edward's theirs and they're Bella, which makes sense and semi-explains the fanbase.

I'll give it to Meyer though, she sure can make some obsessed fans.

7. SoraUchiha Traverse Town Homebody

Wow-Meyer must have an Interest in physiology-Like Rowling has an Interest in Latin O_o

8. Mvalentine King's Apprentice

I actually liked the books...Though IO must admit anything with the word "vampire" in it attracts me like a moth to the flame

9. Shadox D. Twilight Town Denizen

hahaha i dont even like twilight but my mom makes it sooo funny whin she reads it xD

10. Phazeun Traverse Town Homebody

Twilight.

Easily that one. The rest weren't very interesting for me. And I thought the last book easily brought the others down with it.

11. SoraUchiha Traverse Town Homebody

The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner: An Eclipse Novella

http://www.stepheniemeyer.com/breetanner.html

Okay-Who is excited?

But I think that Brees arrival in Eclipse was a bit...Out of the blue. I mean-She comes along all of the sudden and changed the whole story line xD

What do you think just out of curiosity?

12. SORA! Gummi Ship Junkie

I have it.
    Read it. It was really quiet good actually,not at all what I thought it would be...didnt really like Bree in Eclipse I thought she was a pointless character, But the short second life of Bree Tanner does give readers a insight to what the commontion in seattle was like and we get a look at what Its like to be a newborn vampire so I'd give it maybe a 9.5 out of 10.I felt likethe book could have been put into chapters, I know its not very long...but all the writing does get a little wary on the eyes.

13. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I bought it a while ago, and I actually found it disappointing. I don't want to come off as a Twilight basher, but this wasn't up to par for me. I enjoyed reading Eclipse, but this is just not that good. It follows her same formula for Twilight and The Host: Girl is confused, girl way too quickly falls in love with abusive boyfirend, abusive boyfriend turns out to be a ******. Also, a lot of the dialogue between characters just seems...wrong.
    And it seems Meyer refuses there to be action scenes. Tanner is in the battlefield but there is no description of it. I did like the ending. In the end, just get the free download from the interenet or borrow it from a friend.

14. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Mostly this. It was actually interesting to read from the point of view of a true, human-blood sucking vampire and not a clumsy human/Cullen newborn or werewolf boy. It was pretty cute with the relationship between
    Bree and Diego. Sucks that he was murdered by Victoria and Riley. I NEVER did like them.
    Also
    "Freaky Fred" was a nice little addition. He made me laugh mostly because I had pictured Fred from Scooby-Doo... but much bigger (fatter).
    It was a nice little treat to get fans like us back into the spirit of Eclipse before the movie comes out. I'd give it a 9.25.

15. RikusLight Merlin's Housekeeper

I agree. I will never understand why people like Twilight. Bella is a Mary-sue. She moves to Forks and the first day everyone wants to be her friend and the guys just fall for her. She can't function without a guy. When Edward leaves her she turns into a zombie for months. Then she puts herself in danger when she hears his voice. Way to set a role model.

Edward is a stalker, controlling and abusive. He was watching Bella sleep before they even said hi to each other. That is not romantic. He took out her battery to her truck so she couldn't go see Jacob. He has no say in who she can and cannot see. They're love is not 'true love.' Edward is only interested in Bella because she smells good and can't read her mind. Bella is only interested in him because he's hot.

The whole imprinting thing is wrong. I don't care how you try to justify this it is still wrong. In no way is it romantic.

The book reads like a fanfic. It has no plot. It's just Bella and Edward staring into each others eyes. Edward says he can kill Bella and she should stay away, but Bella doesn't want to. When a villain is introduced it's near the end of the book and doesn't even last that long.

Vampires do not sparkle. Call me old fashioned, but they don't. SMeyer butchered vampire lore. I came across someone who said real vampires sparkle. No, just no.

16. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

I think the books were really good (the first one was anyway), you got a true feel for there love, until the films came out...

The film was good but it turned a great book into a fangirl fantasy. A lot of the girls just like it for Robert Patterson (who IMO, doesn't have a great vampire face). The films really ruined the books for me, and the person who plays Bella just doesn't smile, she's supposed to be in love with this guy but to be honest the pair of them just don't pull it off. I am just stating my opinion and I could rant about it but I won't. I've never read the Eragon series but I've heard good things about them but I don't think you can compare it to Twilight properly, I don't know so maybe I'm wrong.

17. Rena88 Twilight Town Denizen

I read all the Twilight books. One word: horrible. I agree what others have said, the characters (mainly Edward and Bella) really don't have personalities overall. Their relationship does not seem very believable to me (yes I know it's fantasy, but at least have some realistic points). Bella simply liked Edward for looks and Edward liked the fact he wanted to kill Bella but at the same time, not kill her. After the first book, I'd start reading the next one and hoping that SOMETHING would actually happen. But nothing ever really did. There were quarrels but most of them were just werewolves and vampires badmouthing each other.

The writing itself was not that good either. I'm sorry, but the whole letting readers feel like Bella and develop their own vision of Edward seems like a cop-out move. Meyers failed to give a real essence to her characters. By the end of the series I was left wondering what I just read and why did I waste my time on this?

The movies are only good for a laugh. (Hard to believe the movies could be worse than the actual books.)

18. Cartoon Moomba Merlin's Housekeeper

I actually read the first 3 books and liked them fairly well before it became a humongous hype, but then re-read them a year later when the 4th one came out and hit myself on the head for failing to notice what was going on. :P It was around that time that I started being introduced to Mary-Sues and Mary-Sue qualities in fanfiction, and I noticed that if anyone had written a character like that for said fanfiction, they would have gotten destroyed...

Edward is just plain creepy in general (stating the obvious ftw). I've only seen the first movie with my anti-Twilight friend when it came out and I do believe we came out with ours ears ringing from all the screaming. It was great for a laugh and comparisons to the book though.

And the fanbase is just... God. Some of the stories I've heard and things I've seen personally - well, Meyer sure knows how to hypnotize people. :P Her whole idea of making the reader feel like they were Bella and like everything was happening to them was a good idea, though, I have to admit. But she's still a horrible writer.

19. kaseykockroach Hollow Bastion Committee

Twilight is not good (I'm putting it kindly, I don't feel like ranting), and the sky is blue.

20. RikusLight Merlin's Housekeeper

Twilight has ruined just about everything. I can't even say the word without thinking of the books. I loved vampires way before Twilight and I'm in the middle of writing a novel about vampires. When I tell people what it's about they say, "It's because of Twilight." No longer can people like vampires without someone saying something about Twilight. I watched the movie before I read the book and I knew nothing about it except it was about vampires. When Edward went in the sun and sparkled I laughed. It's easy to make fun of Twilight.