Twilight Series [General Discussion Thread]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Garxena, Jul 13, 2008.

?

Favorite Twilight Series Book?

1. Twilight

21 vote(s)
    20.2%
  2. New Moon

15 vote(s)
    14.4%
  3. Eclipse

20 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. Breaking Dawn

15 vote(s)
    14.4%
  5. None of them

33 vote(s)
    31.7%
  1. josephace Traverse Town Homebody

I'd say breaking dawn THE EPIC BIRTH lol, horrible...
    i hated the first one, too much of Bella's thoughts were on Edward, uh
    Edward bothered me on the first one.

2. robert the yogurt Traverse Town Homebody

well maybe she shoulda hired somebody else...but IMO she wrote the series really well...btw mods and admins this is not a necro bump

3. The Fuk? Dead

Maybe we should start bashing Dr. Sues's books.

I MEEN *** ON GUYS, THER WUZ NO STORY TO AND IT, AND GREEN EGGS AND HAM? WTFF???!!!

Yeah, it's like that. Dr. Suess was a kids book, read by kids, enjoyed by kids, end of story. Twilight was directed towards a teenage audience, mostly girls, and that's mostly the sort of fans it attracts. It's not the best American novel out there, and frankly I'm sick of all this Twilight is destroying America crap. It's just a book, and it had a somewhat good story, and had a new twist which I thought was creative. Did I like it, not really. It's not my thing, but I respect creativity and stories that are well written.

4. bobo.the.nut Traverse Town Homebody

I admit, it appealed to the audience it was meant to appeal to. It had 'perfect' characters that readers could swoon over. It was an easy read. But I feel like it's disgraced the name of vampires, it was a pretty drab and predictable romance with little character development. Twilight got way too much attention for what it was worth.
    And hey guess what? One of the characters in Interview With the Vampire only drank animal blood too, I wonder where that idea came from*shot*

5. reptar REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

i agree there are much more better vampire books than twilight, but sadly never get as much hype, like 'Let the Right One in' it is pretty much twilight, except the roles are switched and the kids are 12 years old, did i forget to add its BETTER? I think the film adaption got rated as ' Best Vampire Movie' by Rotten Tomatoes

this is why i hate it so much like very Twilight got bigger i was like " I like vampires" and this weird girl said "OOOOOOOHHHHH I KNOW EDWARD IS A HUNKIE" so i responded "No, more like Dracula and Nosferatu, heck even I am Legend" and she was like "Those guys were vampires?

This girl obviously lived under a rock, or she was asking about the I am Legend things lol

i told my friend that, got shot.

6. Anti Axel Merlin's Housekeeper

i agree with anybody who says it suck
    i mean vampires that sparkle in the sun WTF is that bull

7. Cerebres Moogle Assistant

-claps- Finally!! I'm not the only one that hate it!! My friend will kill me....I DON'T CARE!!

8. Mvalentine King's Apprentice

intending to read...I love all things vampire...twilight is no exception...Please don't hate me for liking it...im no twitard...I like it a little more than the chavs do (they like it but cant be assed to remember the names of the characters...and theyre intending on watching all the movies)

9. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Twilight was a good read for me, honestly. I took a big break before reading Eclipse because after the movie came out, the fandom killed the series for me. Took me forever to get ahold of Breaking Dawn. I discovered Twilight before the fandom started and the movie wasn't revealed. I think the vampires are interesting. The people who compare it to other vampires are just dumb. Twilight doesn't exist in the same continuity as True Blood or Interview with a Vampire or Dracula. Most vampire media always do something different with vampires that's not in traditional folklore. But nobody complains until they sparkle. The way I see it, Meyer (who by the way did minimal to none research on vampire folklore) created the perfect predator. They can outfight, outrun, outmaneuver, outeverything humans, their prey. Everything about them attracts their prey. The only thing their main weakness does is reveal them. Is the sparkle thing stupid? In my opinion, no. But she could have done something else, make their skin turn gray or something. Which is why the hate on the vampires of Twilight to me seem redundant.

That said, Meyer can definitely improve with her writing skills. The characters are okay, but Alice and Emmet are my favorites. Bella was alright for the first half of the first book. Then she became so obsessed and selfish that she was willing to give up everything for someone she barely knew, forgetting about her other loved ones. Edward was stalker. The only charm I could gather from him was the way he spoke, but hey, he grew up in a more romantic time. Meyer's main problem was that she gave everyone a happy ending. That just doesn't work in stories, unless it's a children's story.
    People who complain about the lack of action, no one ever said, to my knowledge, that this was supposed to be an action story simply because vampires and werewolves existed. It's more of a drama. Not enough action? Pick up another book.
    Another main flaw I see from Meyer is the lack of supernatural activity. She hinted at other things (shapeshifters, real werewolves) but didn't do anything with them. She could have easily expanded on the universe.
    And then the climatic increase of vampire characters in the end, in my opinion, was hastily done. She should have introduced at least a couple of those characters throughout the whole series. She also should have expanded on some of those.

Now for the movie itself:
    Again, not an action movie. People need to stop whining about that.
    The story? Weak.
    I don't know why I thought the book was alright but hated the movie.
    The actors were alright, I guess, but this was a major downgrade from previous roles.

In a nutshell: books = an okay read, movie = sucks.
    Hopefully, Midnight Sun (if released) and the New Moon movie will do some justice.

As for the stupid fans, seriously, get a life. I don't understand how people can get so obsessed over this. That one Twilight forum disgusts me. Not to mention the majority of them didn't even pick up the book until the movie was started.

10. Chevalier Crystal Princess

Took the words out of my mind. I just need to add that the story itself lacks in character development(at least the first book)

We are placed in the shoes of Bella, who has a pretty good life, and yet is hinted at immense suffering? That seems quite incongruent since she's had an almost perfect life. Now, we have Edward enter into her life and thus begins anguish and danger. At the end of the first book, I almost felt like Bella would mature and be able to be categorized with the rest of the list of female heroines, but after reading the first chapter of New Moon...I think not. It's like she went in retrospect.

That being said, the book conveys most messages pretty clear, and that's the main concern. She could improve, but it's not the all that bad.

The movie wasn't that bad. That's coming from someone who doesn't really expect much from things, so it may not be too accurate.

11. program Twilight Town Denizen

Vampires are meant to kill.
    Suck the Blood from people
    Not romance it.

Dracula is the most favorite and original vampire there is
    He is the father of all vampires.
    Sadly he probably was drunk or something and had These vampires.
    Happily though they will never be seen in a Dracula movie.
    Or even near him.

THEY BETTER NOT RUIN WERE WOLVES IN THE NEXT MOVIE!

12. Styx That's me inside your head.

If you mean that you'd dislike a werewolf becoming Edward's love rival, then I've got some bad news for you...

13. Rho Twilight Town Denizen

Twilight series = TERRIBLE

Ugh. Why the hell does Edward Cullen SPARKLE!?

I see no appeal in a book that's a middle-aged mormon woman's wet dream that involved a pedophile "vampire" and some ditzy girl.

14. MadDoctorMaddie I'm a doctor, not a custom title!

36-year-olds are considered middle-aged now?

15. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

Why does Dracula burn in the sunlight?
    Why did he turn into a bat?
    Why do traditional werewolves transorm during full moon?
    Why do MYTHICAL creatures do things that don't make sense?

Oh that's right...mythical.

16. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

Why is it always twi-hards vs twi0haters. Can no-one be individual without being flamed anymore? I'm no great twilight fan but I've read the books. I didn't like them, so what?

17. mongo460 Merlin's Housekeeper

I dislike it for its rather cheap use of symbolism. "The lion fell in love with the lamb" isn't that difficult to decipher, and where's the moral or romantic purpose in its use. It's basically saying, he wants to eat her, but he loves her at the same time (?)

18. DemyxPlaysMySitar Twilight Town Denizen

I remember the times when I was an absolute twihard...
    Now when I look back, I cringe. I mean, that first movie was absolutely awful.

19. Mako Tsunami Kingdom Keeper

This is comming from someone who hasn't read the books, so yeah. . . .

The whole "twilight hate" and "twilight fangirl" thing from a sidelines pretty much turns me off from even attempting to read the book. Nevertheless, here's my first impression of "Twilight":

When I think of vampires, I think of true terrors of the night; monsters that could scare you sh*tless and really strike fear into you, the classics. (Though I'm not much of a vampire fan either)

When I think of twilight's vampires, however:

"Since when were X-men's mutants able to suck blood?"

To sum up the whole hate thing on how Twilight's vampires supposedly "raped" the image of the originals, think of it like. . . taking Mickey Mouse and turning him into the Terminator. Most people just don't think it "fits," and find their old vision of vampires tainted from it. That's what I think, atleast.

About the books. . . a friend of mine asked me to read Twilight about a year ago. I blame this mostly on my procrastination problem, but I read two pages, got bored, and closed it.

As for the movie. . . .

Did not care for it. Didn't seem to catch my interest at all.

Most of this is probably due to my over-all not much interest in vampires, but I digress. I'd rather read a book on something more true to the classical vampire than sparkly superheroes that happen to be able to drink blood.

All a non-expert's opinion.

20. l0v3-pAoPu-fRu1t Traverse Town Homebody

I AGREEEEEEEE!
    I used to like the kinds of it but somehow I don't like it anymore and now I hate them
    There are no famous actors there and the story is just love, love, love.
    no mysteries, no thriller, and comedies which is not funny to me.