Twilight Series [General Discussion Thread]

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Garxena, Jul 13, 2008.

?

Favorite Twilight Series Book?

1. Twilight

21 vote(s)
    20.2%
  2. New Moon

15 vote(s)
    14.4%
  3. Eclipse

20 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. Breaking Dawn

15 vote(s)
    14.4%
  5. None of them

33 vote(s)
    31.7%
  1. Repliku Chaser

Eve Brondsningham (Styx) has a flowing style of writing that is eloquent and expressive, almost dreamy with how she paints the scene. It has a surreal feeling to it that was relaxing to read. Maybe there are some areas that are still a bit too shadowed, but that excerpt draws me in to want to read more on how this girl doesn't fit in and is awkward.

Stephanie Meyers has a style of writing that is like picking up some girl's diary and reading it. It's very simple and easy to grasp but it's also not very imaginative and doesn't keep me gripped. Of course, reading the diary of someone I would know might keep me more entertained than reading about some girl's experiences who I don't care for. However, reading it, the girl is not really that 'different' and is just critical of herself.

In the end, I'd say I prefer Eve's writing to Stephanie's because of the flow and surreal feeling it brings out which kind of makes me able to focus on the book and less on what's around me. It draws me more into caring about the book and the girl who is awkward and out of place, but it also lets the reader have the option of wanting to know more and gives you a chance as a reader to discern things that are lacking from the other author.

It's not even that the Twilight book is written in 1st person. There are novelists who have written in 1st person as well, such as Ann Rice's books on the vampires, particularly Lestat but others too. Those also have a nice flow to them that make me want to keep going and understand the 1st character's train of thought and perception but also how he or she tries to fill in the depth, emotions and acts of others around or even questions reality. Stephanie's writing just seems so banal, kiddish and well, she's not very perceptive herself but to what she is definitely trying to get the reader to notice. There's no guess work that her own frame of mind is simple and the reader really is not drawn into a sense of depth or mystery. It's all spelled out that you -will- see it this way because the character does because Stephanie does. It makes the stories for some of us out there, rather boring.

2. P Banned

Okay, Meyer makes it a very easy pick-up-and-read book, and as soon as you step in, you know where the place stands. Assuming that the Rest of Cross is like that, I would spend half the story wondering what was going on. For example, was all that stuff a metaphor, or is it a fantasy setting? It it a dream? Meyer could make her writing style less like a diary, but it tells the reader a bit about what is going on, while your story makes me feel like I've run into a wall of treacle. I don't know where I've come from or where I'm going or even where I am.

3. K u r o g a n e Traverse Town Homebody

Twilight. In my opinion it should of just ended there.

4. K u r o g a n e Traverse Town Homebody

I was somewhat looking forward to this. Oh well.

5. Stardust Chaser

I've only read two of the novels, but I liked Twilight more than New Moon.

6. xXRhian+RoxasXx Gummi Ship Junkie

Quite frankly, Twilight should have never EVEN been WRITEN down on paper. None of the books should of.

7. TacoGrenade King's Apprentice

I think it's one of the worst series' ever, but that's just me. The author clearly has no prior knowledge of vampires. It was so boring and repetitive that I really only read the first book because I wanted to know just how bad it was.

8. Stardust Chaser

Isn't it a bit hypocritical to consider a book awful before you've read it? I'm no big fan of the series myself, but geez.
    Also, you don't need 'knowledge' of a fictional creature to write a book about it. Since it's fictional, you can do whatever you want with it. I once read a book about vampires where the vampires were the result of a disease. I don't particularly like the way the author of Twilight portrayed vampires either, though, so I agree with you there.

9. reptar REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

:/gasp:

none of them

but if i had to pick it would be midnight sun because it is non existant in the media

YET

10. MadDoctorMaddie I'm a doctor, not a custom title!

If the ending hadn't been such a let down, I would've said that Breaking Dawn would have been a near decent book. Near.​

11. The_Cloaked_Deceiver_01 Merlin's Housekeeper

Stephen and Twilight

I've yet to read any of his books, but I respect King as both a writer and a person. Still, what he's saying is an OPINION, nothing more, nothing less.

12. ReebokR32 Twilight Town Denizen

you know that little voice in your head.... go fig
    It says this article is not there anymore, but by what people are saying I guess some people like it and some people don't. We all have our different opinions on things I guess he didn't like the idea of the movie.

OMG THANKS YOU FOR SAYING THAT everyone thinks you can have sex at the age of 5 or something.

13. reptar REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Duh its not there when i posted this in FEBRUARY

14. kaseykockroach Hollow Bastion Committee

Oh, come now. I'm enjoying a forum where I won't get bad rep for stating Twilight is one of the worst things I've ever been forced to read in school as an assignment. =D

You deserve some good ol' fashioned, southern fried rep, man!

15. Alpha Sonix Why so asymmetrical?

Me too. Also the actress of Luna Lovegood from the Harry Potter series has stated how she hates it and of course the fan girls come rushing in to attack her. Personally I don't see what people find interesting about Twilight as the writing isn't that good, read the first chapter on amazon and didn't like it.

16. Ah eff. Traverse Town Homebody

I love Eclipse the most. It's not because I thought it had more to offer,
    but because the rest had little things about them that irked me a little.
    Otherwise they'd all be my favorite.

17. Haiena.Koinu Traverse Town Homebody

I don't know, my mother has read the book... But I never have so I don't like any due to I don't know anything about it other then that is all people speak of in school >_<;​

18. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I'd have to agree.
    Either Eclipse or New Moon.
    I like Twilight until half way when she became...a little pathetic

19. Princess Luna Supreme Co-Ruler of Equestria

Ehh...I'll have to say Twilight. Then New Moon, Breaking Dawn, and finally Eclipse. Twilight was...nice, and funny in a way in the begining. Then it just starts to get more and more predictable and...whiney, for lack of better word.

Midnight Sun...it was funny. I must say, I enjo--*shot*

20. Crumpet In your shadow, I can shine!

I never read Midnight Sun...

Mine was Eclipse, I dunno... I like action? It had the most action...

I mean

Twilight = Bella knocked out during battle scene
    New Moon = Emo Bella and Emo Edward talk to Aro
    Breaking Dawn = So many people come to help... ready to fight... THEN NOTHING!!! it's like RAWWWR