Truth or Dare

Discussion in 'The Playground' started by Lauriam, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Te Deum Hollow Bastion Committee

Here's your truth:

In 10 sentences or less (1 minimum), analyze and provide your own interpretation of these three quotes by Franz Kafka.

To the next person who posts, I'll take a dare. (I know that's not how it works, but I'm feeling pretty courageous right now.)

2. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Hmm... Honestly, it would probably be the death of my grandfather. To this day, the smartest man I ever knew, and I'm not just saying that because he was my grandfather. He was the kind of guy who played Trivial Pursuit and correctly answered the hard questions about some ancient emperor in China because he remembered them from searching for their stamp when he was a kid and collected stamps. He always had an answer for every question you brought to him, but he would take half an hour to get there because he had to set up the history and the scene in order to "explain properly." XD

He was also a man of great faith. He had studied the Bible for most of his life, and if you said a verse, he could tell you where it was, within a chapter. He'd pored over genealogies and maps for years and years, he'd read practically every commentary and article on the thing, and he knew beyond a shadow of a doubt what he believed and why he believed it, and he wasn't afraid to talk about it because he always had something to back up what he was saying.

But he was kind and gentle, and he never went past a boundary someone had set for him. No one was ever uncomfortable talking to him, as far as I knew, and he was known all over my small hometown as the guy who always smiled, and the guy who always helped people.

After he was pronounced terminal, people would visit him in the nursing home to comfort him, and they would end up being comforted and encouraged by him instead, and even now, around six or seven years later, I think, (My fam happened to be affected by a major carbon monoxide leak around the same time, we all made it out alive but now I can't quite remember which year this all took place) people heard the family last name and asked "Oh, are you related to [My grandfather]?" And when I said yes, they would smile and recount some story of how he helped them, and what a great man he was.

And that really influenced me to try and become that kind of person. I want to have the faith to believe in something, the knowledge to back it up, and the wisdom and sensitivity to be able to share with those willing and respect those who aren't. I want to be someone that people can feel safe and comfortable around, that they can go to for advice and help with their problems and know that they can trust me to try my best and respect their trust and privacy. And I want to be someone who always smiles through any hardship, and face it gladly, and even encourage the people who come to try and comfort me.

Kinda mushy, but, it's the truth. XD[DOUBLEPOST=1455208634][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Right, a dare, hmm... I dare you to put on the best attempt of a costume you currently own, pose for a few pics (or just snap some in the mirror) and post the pictures here.

3. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Not knowing the context of these three quotes, I have reached an assumption that they convey on finding a deeper meaning in existence. The second quote resonates with me a lot, saying that to truly live, one must understand their mortality. The first quote complements this notion, saying that the world around you becomes clearer if you just observe, but it all means nothing if you don’t act. The third quote is that action, saying that if one chooses to be motivated, they leave their mark on the world. It takes self-control to write a story, compose a song, or even writing these very words. This all relates to the idea of legacy: once you are aware that everyone dies, all you can hope for is to leave something behind.

I'm probably wrong, but it was still fun.

Truth or dare?

4. Te Deum Hollow Bastion Committee

YOU'RE ON.

Beautiful analyses.

I'll take a dare, to double the stakes.

Truth or dare?

5. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

Okay. I dare you to listen to 99 Red Balloons for 1 full hour.

6. Te Deum Hollow Bastion Committee

You're on.

ToD is still open, to any takers.

7. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Truth!

Truth or dare?

8. Te Deum Hollow Bastion Committee

Would you give up one of your vital organs if it meant living in total and absolute peace for the rest of your days? This could range from a few days to a handful of years.

Truth.

Truth or Dare?

9. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

Probably not. I like having my body intact, and as nice as a life free of strife sounds, what is life without it?
    Top five anime?

10. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Truth!

This isn't a bump post at all. XD

Truth or dare?

11. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

The train goes: "Truth! Truth!"

Truth or dare?

12. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

What, in your opinion, is the meaning of existence? XD

13. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

To be clear, it didn't take me a week to come up with an answer. I'm just a lazy piece of garbage.

The meaning of existence is to live. Not just be alive, anybody can do that. I feel it's important to make experiences that matter and leave behind something good. If you believe in God or some higher being, they created you for a reason, and you want to fulfill it. If you're not a believer, you want to leave behind something, even a small thing, so you gave a legacy (legacy. What is a legacy? It's planting seeds in a garden you never get to see).

14. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

It didn't take me almost a week to come back and see it, either. I'm just lazy too. XD

Also, I'll take your dare, since it's still open.

15. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I dare you to record yourself talking about your favorite eating experience. Doesn't matter if it was at home, or eating out. What did you gave to eat, was it with friends, etc..

16. ♥♦♣♠Luxord♥♦♣♠ Chaser

Slight interjection. I did this voluntarily as a child at least 100 times during the endurance races in the game Gran Turismo 3. I still have no regrets.

17. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Okay, dare accepted. I'll have to think about it for a bit; I take food somewhat seriously. XD And then I'll post the results here. :)

Truth or Dare?

18. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

i shall take a truth

19. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Who is your favorite musician and why?

20. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I think I would go with Stephen Sondheim. The music that he composes for shows are always unique, but you can always tell when it's him. He knows how to hit the right emotions for a story through music. As well, the lyrics he writes always have another layer to the, and invites the listener to deconstruct them.

He might be a pain in the ass to preform, but done right, he forces out the best from performers.

Truth or dare?