True or false: Most Gamers are athiests

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Cin, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xekushi Gummi Ship Junkie

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying any one religous is an idiot. I just find it hard to belive in an all powerful being when the only proof is the teachings of a book.
    But i love the ideals of most religons.

2. XIIIHearts Destiny Islands Resident

I don't think that most people who play video games are atheist, most of my friends including myself have religions but we play video games when we have time.

3. Meh Gummi Ship Junkie

it could also depend on where you're from, and the culture there. where i live (and come from) most of the gamers are Catholic.

4. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

Gamers can be whatever they want, it's just a subculture propagated by the increasing advancements in technology and people's increasing efficiency with it. Whether you believe in a cosmic being really has no affect in playing video games or how much yo uenjoy them.

5. Jaxed Twilight Town Denizen

Being a fairly rabid gamer I know many other gamers, but I never heard of that causing people to go aitheist......quite frankly, none of the people I ever played with are aitheist........If you know 100+ people who are, maybe you need to find a new crowd.......

6. Eclipse Hollow Bastion Committee

for me i dont really believe in god,even though im catholic.But i do believe in the big bang.and a "greater being" or "creator" doesnt necessarily mean "god".anyways i dont think games have anything to do with people and their religion.I play games,not alot as i used to but im a calm guy that doesnt worship the devil or wanna kill people at a highschool lol.

BIG BANG! BIG BANG! BIG BANG! BIG BANG! BIG BANG! BIG BANG! BIG BANG! BIG BANG!

7. Arc Kingdom Keeper

I think that religious beliefe has nothing to do with video games but rather, personal mind set or a product of invironment. Me, personally, I do believe in god, but I do not believe in religion. But for a very long time, due to my upbringing and things I saw growing up, I didnt believe there to be a god at all. it had nothing to do with my games, but rather my family. It's like saying 'someone played GTA so theyre more likely to go steal a car' its an unfair generalization, or 'bobby listened to marilyn manson, and shot up his school, it must be the music artist's fault' People need to stop finding scapegoats and point at the person in their mirror for their decisions.

no offense to anyone, of course. your all entitled to do whatever you want, ^^

8. Venial Moogle Assistant

Gamer doesn't equal atheist. My friend is obsessed with video games (Mainly Zelda, but she's been getting into Kingdom Hearts lately), and she has a religion (can't remember what it is). I don't believe in Christianity. I believe in the concepts of Shinto and Buddism. Therefore, I'm not atheist.

And I really agree with Arc. For some reason, people like scapegoats. If I die in KH1, it's not because I used Donald as a scapegoat so I can run away just long enough for a healing spell. It's my fault because I likely did see an enemy coming from behind, or I did something extremely careless. Going with the 'Charlie and Marilyn Manson' example, it's not Manson's fault that Charlie shot a kid. Charlie, ultimately, made the decision. Not Manson.

9. Xioayugoth Destiny Islands Resident

I don't really believe in anything, just treating everyone as an equal.

Video games never made me like this, I learnt it from the books I read a year ago. I like my games a lot, and I don't think any of them do anything but make us fantasise about being a keyblade master or princess of heart, not manipulate our beliefs.

10. Crispers Beep Boop

i dont belive in anything really..

11. xekushi Gummi Ship Junkie

I don't think games make people change religon,(unless its one hell of a game) but i asked a few friends about this and i guess they started out as athiests but enjoy games. So i guess it depends on the person.

12. John Clay Rice Hollow Bastion Committee

I'm a christian and I'm very good at games. Espceilly KH1 and 2.

13. killedbyoathkeeper Destiny Islands Resident

I'm Christian.......... Baptist to be exact............... and I play video games pretty well..........

14. ♥AL90♥ Hollow Bastion Committee

Why is it about where I live? Where do you live?
    WTW! This thread was made in 2006! whoever keeps posting in acient threads! Just stop it!!!

15. Repliku Chaser

Most gamers I know are spiritual, not always religious, but they do research and find things they believe in. I am not a 'Christian' because I don't believe in it and turn more to eastern spirituality, which some will try to say is atheist or pagan. However, I know Christians, Wiccans, Jews, Buddhists, etc that follow beliefs and enjoy video games and computer games. I also know atheists as well and it seems to me in rpg groups I hang in that the number of various people claiming to be of religions or spiritual is strong. They just aren't all Christians.

16. Meh Gummi Ship Junkie

That's true, and I agree with it.

17. Peyton Goddess Of Love ♥

I think what you are saying is a good theory and pretty true.
    That theory goes for many of my friends as well.

I am an athiest myself so and I play lots of games and it have had a certain effect on my. Not that I have become shizofren or anything like that and actually think I am someone from a game. But it have had an impact on my sight of the world.

I agree.

18. Jube Formerly Chuck's

Well im a gamer and im also Athiest but most of my friends are Jewish or Roman Catholic who are also gamers so meh.

19. Broken_Vow Merlin's Housekeeper

I don't think it really matters. I only (really) have 2 gamer friends, and they are one is a Christian and the other is an Athiest. The other ones aren't really gamers.

Erm, the one who is Athiest is kind of twisted, and worships the Devil as a joke. O.o Not really something to joke about, but as I said before, he's twisted.

So, um, I mean, maybe I'm just missing something, but it's never affected my beliefs. Because both of my parents had to different religions, so I was never sent to one specific church. I kind of wandered.

So I'm not really sure what to believe, but it gaming hasn't seem to corrupt any of my friends.

20. Enigmatic Boy Twilight Town Denizen

I'm not sure. But i know that games don't neccesarily convert people to a different religion. First of all, games are just games. The messages in the game shouldn't be strong enough to convert people's beliefs. I however, am a Roman Catholic, and nothing I have seen so far in video games has driven me to the point of converting my religion.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.