True or false: Most Gamers are athiests

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Cin, Nov 12, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SquishyZ3ro Traverse Town Homebody

Personally, I am a christian. Most of my gamer friends believe in some form of a God. I have one friend who is Buddhist, another that firmly believes in the greek gods and goddesses. Hardly any of my friends are atheist. So I'll say that's false.

Also, video games, if anything, increase my faith. You will play a game where there is a priest, who can ressurect people and perform miracles. Religion. You can play a game where several characters pray to the Gods for strength. Religion. MOST roleplaying games are the same way; they have some form of a god in them. Hell, even Age of Empires does, with their monks being able to heal units. Few games that I play lack religion or say that religion doesn't exist.

2. Mirai King's Apprentice

Athiest here. There are quite a few Christians, and even a couple of Moslims, over at Serebii.net, a HUGE Pokemon forum. I don't think videogames have anything to do with it. I really don't want to say what I think is the reason for more athiests nowadays, since it might affend the religious.

3. Psybin Moogle Assistant

I am Agnostic. While i believe that religion is useless for those strong in mind and heart, it does serve a purpose for those who need constant reassurance in the grand design.

I believe that there more than likely is a greater "being" of some sort. whether it's some dude who looks like Zeus or some form of something we could never dream of comprehending...i don't know.

I play video games but am not an aetheist.

I refuse to believe in a religion that has man made rules of how you must conduct yourself. the only good thing that came from religion is morality. but we all have a sense of what is right and what is wrong.

i believe the point of this question is moot. whether gamers tend to be agnostic or aethiest, I believe has nothing to do with videogames themselves but rather that gamers tend to have much more open minds. and refuse to be boxed in by something so strict as a religion.

For all you who have said you are catholics or christians or what have you. i would imagine the majority of you are not strict in your practices. otherwise you would naturally abhore the violence and mysticism found in most games.

I'd be very interested to read you're replies.

so, in short. i agree.

4. SquishyZ3ro Traverse Town Homebody

Ask and ye shall receive. ;P

I am Christian and I do believe in God, and I would say my faith is very strong in that. I detest death and murder and I feel that the world is full of sin and immorality. Having said that, I do play video games. Very violent video games, on occasion. (Call of Duty 2, anyone?) And I even play games like Baldur's Gate I and II that are purely about a made-up realm of wizards, demons and magic, having their own set of gods and goddesses completely detatched from the real world. I enjoy these games but I do not take them to heart. I do not imagine myself in these games, killing people at random. I do, however, feel that there can be good reason to kill and that sometimes it is necessary to serve a greater good. This ideal is often present in RPG's. In a way, my games reinforce my faith and determination to follow God.

This also has something to do with my beliefs, though. While my religion disallows murder it says to protect and love one's cousins(other humans). I understand this to mean that murder is evil, but sometimes it simply must be done. The practice of black magic is banned to Christians and the bible commands a witch's death.

Many people see Christianity as a purely non-violent and peaceful religion. That is a great misunderstanding. The religion is about courage and purity of heart, doing one's best to sin as little as possible. But God knows that some things must be done, and thus we are allowed to ask forgiveness.

.... Wow, I drew that out. Sorry if I rambled. xD

5. The Dreaded Paw Merlin's Housekeeper

I call myself 'atheagnostic'. I strongly don't believe in God, but I'm not entirely unaccepting. I try my best to be the kindest I can be to everyone and I try to treat everyone with respect. That, I think, is the best one can do. If there is a God, I would hope that he would understand my skepticism and could judge that not believing is not worth an eternity of pain and suffering.

Anyway, I think it depends on the person when it comes to videogames affecting religious opinion. Videogames have not had anything to do with my beliefs and I don't think that they are generally anti-religion, for example: Tactics Ogre - The Knight of Lodis. This game reminds me of the story of Lucifer and there many references to religion. I loved the story to this game, but it didn't affect my beliefs.
    Video games can affect us or not, we are all different.

6. xekushi Gummi Ship Junkie

i would actually like to see a vote on this. just about all the gamers in know are athiests so id like to see some numbers to tell me what percentage there is here.

7. BlessedOne148 Destiny Islands Resident

I'm Catholic. Catholic to the bone. Came from CAtholic parents who came from CAtholic families. I will be buried Catholic. If you judge what religion you are based off of fake video game plots, then you're an idiot. None of that is real, though some people would like it to be. Also, one more thing, not everyone who plays games is an atheist and/or agnostic. Maybe only the ones you know are. All the ones I know, believe in God.

8. xekushi Gummi Ship Junkie

That seemed a little aggressive. Did i offened you, cause im sorry if i did. i just want to know what the percentages are.

9. BlessedOne148 Destiny Islands Resident

Oh no, it wasn't you, I just replying to the topic in general.

10. Laurence_Fox Chaser

i'd like to say I was brought up Catholic, had 12 years of a Catholic education. But I remain unconvinced of a higher, omnipotent being guiding my fate. I cannot take that the bible is concrete evidence but some of the verses are rather enjoyable to read. Revelation. :D

But back to the topic at hand:
    I enjoy playing video games and could see how some of them would have an effect on young, impressionable minds. But I don't think video games have an effect on your religion. Maybe some of the more graphic games like Silent Hill could cause some doubt.

But most of the people I know that play games are Christians and don't seem to cause a problem.

11. zexionXienzo6 Traverse Town Homebody

I don't think that theory is correct... because i know some gamers and they aren't athiest... and why would that be true? It seems a little out of the blue to me.

12. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

im agnostic, but i would never link my gaming with my choice of religion. it's my personal choice in life. it might have had some small indirect affect, but i havnt based my decision on it.
    and if you want to debate religion you should try the debate in intelligent discussion, debate corner.

13. AkuseruVIII Banned

I'm too lazy to decide whether I "believe" (those are air quotes) or not but I PWN in games so does this count?

14. Nanaki Broken in six places

Really, it doesn't matter if your Christian, Buddhist, Aithiest, or..any religion, really. I don't think it matters what religion you are. Hell, I don't even know what I am! I believe there are no 'gods' in the form that we think of them. Yes, there are God-like creatures out there, but I'm not worshiping them. I also believe that Zai has ALWAYS been here, and NOBODY created it. And, as for most gamers being Aitheist, uhh, no. I don't buy that...

15. [s y n n e ] Twilight Town Denizen

Urhm....

well, I am buddhist~ but....I dun really agree with certain things in different religions, but I DO believe there is some sort of divine divinity taking place. But~ iono....

but anyways, I dun like to get into that - Video Games are from your imagination. You know? I mean...>.> stuff that shouldn't really be taken seriously - you know?

There is a fine line between reality and fantasy, its your job to define that line ((or something))

16. DogBoyX King's Apprentice

in a Smash Bros brand box Obsession: Death N
    THANK YOU!
    no seriously, games are games, not life.

17. iammyself Destiny Islands Resident

I know some people who play games and are religous. I personaly believe in something that is there, but it doesnt have to be god, it just some order of life. So, I dont think that games have anything to do with religion, but it is true that not many gamers are religious.

18. RavenSetFree Merlin's Housekeeper

I'm not really sure. Some of my friends play video games, they're not athiest but they're not really religious either.

I'm not quite sure what I am. I'm technically Jewish, but I don't believe in God. I find the whole idea of God rather stupid. If you think about it, the plot lines of video games are just as realistic as God.

*shrug* I don't know that many gamers, so I cant really be sure, but from the few I know, none of them go to church.

19. xekushi Gummi Ship Junkie

Games and indeed games, but what is are Gods when their is not faith, thats pretty much all they are as well, or atleast thats what i think.

20. Alice Banned

That's a pretty stereotypical remark, although I didn't think it was even a popular stereotype. I myself am agnostic, and I know a lot more people who are agnostic than athiest. No one I know goes to Church, but that doesn't prove your religion or anything. Christianity is considered to be the flexible religion where all you have to do is believe in the concept and you're saved. I don't really know anyone who practices other religions, since I live in a pretty hick town. >.>;

A lot of the people I hang out with a pretty hardcore gamers who when not playing videogames spend their time on /b/ and such. God knows what the majority of 4chan believes about religion. I think most of 4chan is either athiest or agnostic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.