TAotM Voting Traditional art of the Month #8- Power

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Ienzo, May 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

[​IMG]
    no. 8
    [voting thread; votes due May 11th, 2013]
    Power
    I liked this idea suggested by Tequila. Interpret this word how you wish and if you have any questions then feel free to ask me. Power over someone, abused power, go nuts.
    ~Animations are allowed
    Happy drawing!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If you are unsure of how to vote then check out this thread here, anyone is welcome to vote but entrants MUST vote.
    D ι n n y
    [​IMG]
    When I think of power, I think of super powers and elements and everything so I decided to try and get to water colors and make an entry for this too. This is my take on elemental powers c:
    Midnight Star
    [​IMG]
    Thought I'd go for something a bit different. (Fully expecting this to come last.)
    I can translate the runes for anyone who asks but won't in the thread as it keeps them mysterious and gives a challenge to anyone who wants to translate them. They aren't just random symbols.
    Chie Satonaka
    [​IMG]
    The theme/motif for it is "You have the power to do anything." It was inspired by Episode 3 of Uta no Prince-sama! when Syo (this character) couldn't jump across a broken bridge while he was in the shooting of this movie. So he kept trying and trying, and with his friends' encouragement, he jumped across it!
    Jiku Neon
    [​IMG]
    This is actually only about 4/10 of what I had planned but I ran out of time and finals are coming up so asking for an extension would be ridiculous and pointless.
    Even though I haven't quite got her down, these are all the same character. My interpretation of power here was the ability to actualize your desires specifically with regards to making yourself whatever you want to be. The fact that I chose interpretations of Demon's Souls classes just ties in with the whole being strong thing in general.

2. Chie Satonaka Twilight Town Denizen

ONLY FOUR SUBMISSIONS THIS MONTH????? it's okay~~ everyone did very well as always!

Now this motif was very very challenging cuz ANYTHING can represent power. I love how everyone took this in their own way.

Dinny - WOAH SO COLORFUL!! Love how the colors contrast (the red hair with the green background, the blue and orange background). The blending was done very well! Is she gonna be the next Avatar, after Korra??

Jiku - So cute~~~ I love the character designs so much!! I would totally love to see the other designs too! As always, Jiku, your style is very cute~~ I guess it's kinda like a video game, picking your job in Final Fantasy, or like picking what type of fairy you'd be in ALFheim (SAO).

Midnight - Wonder what the runes say? Where did you get the runes from? Lord of the Rings or something else? Just by looking at it.... I don't really get the motif from it... Maybe if I knew how to read it, it would fit better?

Everyone did very well this round too! I hope to enter something next month too, so please look forward to it!

3. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

Midnight - This is the one time I'm going to let style trump execution. Why? Whether you intended for it to be or not this piece had the most power of all the entries. Everything else, I could look at for a minute and tell you exactly what I thought and move on. This one was quite different, the fact that I couldn't understand it at first only made me want to delve deeper. So I spent a good five to ten minutes looking from the wiki page on runes and back to this one translating it. When I finally understood the words I kinda laughed at myself. It wasn't a waste of time or anything, it was just kind amusing that I went to a lot of trouble over something simple or rather that something so simple made itself worth my trouble. Anyhow, I also like the symbolism with the power of both the words and the unknown. You pretty had the best interpretation of the theme and I feel like I'm going to give that its due here.

Chie - It looks good and complete. Definitely an improvement over some of your past work. I'd call it the best piece this month in terms of completion, but in the end I knew that if you didn't tell me exactly what made it related to power, I'd never have known or even considered that it could be the theme. Unlabeled it looks like the theme was freedom or hope rather than power. If there was one thing I'd say to work on in general, I'd say that it's that you don't do enough original work not based in fandom. I like your style, but I'd like to see more of your personality in it. Anyhow, it was a good solid entry.

Dinny - While this was probably my favorite, it had the same problem as Chie's entry. I could not have possibly known that this was a power theme without the explanation. I feel like my entry also suffers from this. If I were to give any critique on this specifically, it would be to go for more on the right side. The blue seems kind of weak compared to the green and that hurts the balance of the composition. Anyhow, good entry, would have liked to see something more explicit or at least clearly symbolic.

4. Dinny I am Anime ( ⚈้̤͡ ◡ ⚈้̤͡ )

Chie - As you know, I really, really, really love this piece. I've told you plenty hahaha, but truly, you have improved from your past work. This is just so well done in every level like high five to a million angles. I also really love your take on it.

Midnight - I love how different this is from the usual entries. It makes me think and wonder about what this really means. I hope you can translate it for us! But really, wow midny, this was a great piece to go with.

Jiku - I always love your works and this one doesn't disappoint. I understand that it's not near finished but this is great. I really love the designs so far though, good job!

5. Midnight Star Master of Physics

Apologies in advance, I'm not much of an artist so my comments might not be the best.

Jiku~ If this is only 4/10th of what you had planned, I'd love to see what you originally envisioned. They are adorable, I love their expressions and poses, it gives them a personality of their own and brings them to life. The amount of detail too, I'd liked to have seen them in colour when you finished but even without they are pretty great. Again it's link to power isn't initially obvious but it's really interesting to see how everyone's interpreted it differently.

Dinny~ When I first saw this, I thought she was more a victim of power than the one with the power and I had to read the description to see it the way you envisioned. Either way, it's really good, I like the way you've used the paint in different ways to create the effects you have, like how the green goes out sort of like a plant and the ripples in the water are really nice. Though the green stands out a lot more, maybe a deeper/darker blue would balance it more? The way you've shown fire and air isn't as effective at representing the elements but it still looks good, you've blended the colours together well, particularly with her hair and it has a good contrast.

Chie~ Really nice, I especially like the light effects that you've used that makes it such a bright and positive piece. Admittedly due to that I would not of understand how it related to power without the explanation, it was a different interpretation of it, which was good though it seemed to me to fit other themes better. I also keep looking at the sky more than the character.

Also on mine, as I said before if you message me, then I'll be happy to translate, I just don't want to in the thread incase anyone wants to work it out themselves. And Chie, they are runes which I think originate with the anglo-saxons. There are loads of variations but most of them are quite similar. I originally learnt them from a book called Dragonology in a holiday several years back, though the ones on LotR are virtually the same ones. A lot of fictional things with magic use them, it's interesting working out with ones just use random letters to look like writing and which ones actually say something. I can read/write with them now without needing a cifer, I didn't look up the translation to write that piece.

6. Chie Satonaka Twilight Town Denizen

O__O I think everyone's tied right now....

7. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

Yes, it is incredibly close but Jiku wins by just 1 point! Brilliant submissions everyone and thank you all for entering and taking part. The next one will be up soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.