TAotM Voting Traditional art of the Month #4- Dreams

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Ienzo, Aug 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

[​IMG]
    no. 4
    [voting thread; votes due August 20th, 2012]
    DREAMS

This was suggested by the wonderous Midnight Star! So basically you can interpret this however you want, you could do anything from an aspiration you have to an actual dream you have had one night- be it a nightmare or something completely ridiculous. Get creative!

~Animations ARE allowed

Happy drawing!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

If you are unsure of how to vote then check out this thread here, anyone is welcome to vote but entrants MUST vote.

phoenixkh93
    [​IMG]

I have to say I'm kinda proud of this one. Now I'm off school I have the free time to put a lot more work into my entries. This is the first project of mine done completely digitally from the start. I used Pixlr and a mouse to paint it with. Drawing hair with a mouse is not fun o.O

This is Mal from Inception. I thought she fit the theme really well, a dream within a dream. She is the projection of the main characters subconscious in the film, and being no longer alive as his wife in the real world, lives and breathes elusively and exclusively in his dreams.

Ienzo
    [​IMG]

As you may know, I am a huge Doctor Who fan and so have the Doctor falling through space. When I am in a bad mood or upset it comforts me to think of the Doctor Who universe actually existing as it's a place to escape to in my head and makes me happy. I also had a dream a couple of weeks ago about falling through space and that is what inspired me to draw the Doctor falling through it.

Drawn by hand, scanned in, drawn over using photoshop and then coloured and shaded using PS. The background is mostly gradients, brushes, smudgings and a few fractals- feel free to ignore it in your judging if you only want to look at the completely traditional side of the piece.

Jiku Neon
    [​IMG]

(You may have to refresh the page for this one, or click the link below if you cannot see the animation)
    http://i.minus.com/ibr0yae9fKRnm5.gif

2. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

1) phoenixkh93- I think you said that you spent a lot more time on this one than other entries and honestly it really does show. This is a great drawing only made more impressive by the fact that you did it with a mouse. Some of your perspective on the right side of the face isn't quite right, but the coloring and lighting dynamics are so spot on that I hardly care.

2) Ienzo - Overall a decent piece. The background is very well put together. The body itself needs a little work like his left hand. But you've got a lot of the general things pretty much as done as they need to be. Like the angles and foreshortening are pretty good, but parts of the lighting and anatomy make him look a little awkward and flat. So it's a good drawing made better by the fact that you actually colored it and gave it such a solid background, but it doesn't look perfectly finished.

3) No voting for yourself.

NOTE: My gif is set to run only once. Making it an infinite loop kind of felt off. I also recommend watching it at full size through the link. Sorry for forgetting to mention it earlier.

3. phoenixkh93 Gummi Ship Junkie

Both very beautiful pieces :) It's a very difficult choice indeed but I think I will have to go with...

1) Jiku Neon. The amount of skill and patience to do an animation is incredible, and I really love the monochrome colour scheme you used. Overall a very haunting piece that I think is just incredible.

2) Ienzo. Another fantastic one! The background is absolutely stunning, and you can never go wrong with the Doctor as your focus :) I absolutely love both works, and I'm really sorry I can't give more time to saying what I love about them, bellieve me I would if it were possible, go on.

And Jiku thank you so much for your kind words :)

4. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

Alright, I have been thinking about which to vote for for a while now, it's so hard >.<

1) Jiku Neon: I went with this one in the end because of it's generic meaning. I know a lot of people dream of running away from some form of monster and finding their efforts futile. I thought this was beautifully displayed through your animation- the way the monster gradually comes into the light and also, with each of his appearances, it fills more of the screen to give the impression it is getting closer and more dominant. Running away from a monster in dreams means in real life running away from something daunting and scary or feeling helpless against something- you've represented this concept well through the simplicity of the line animation.

2) phoenixkh93: I absolutely adore Inception (possibly one of my favourite films ever) and it never even occurred to me to draw Inception, a very creative idea indeed. Not only that but you have presented it beautifully with a nice backdrop of the buildings (either Limbo or the dream where Ariadne alters physics or just the structure of a dream). My only improvement that I could suggest would be the perspective of her face seems a bit wrong but apart from that it's really good. The shading and colouring is done superbly.

5. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

And the winner is Jiku Neon!

Well done! Sadly since the pins aren't uploaded yet you'll have to wait a bit but you can enjoy your work being on the Wall of fame.

Thank you both for entering : D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.