Toy Story 3

Discussion in 'Disney Galaxy' started by Hayabusa, Oct 11, 2009.

1. Korosu Kingdom Keeper

This movie makes me cry..Each time I watch it even though I know how it's gunna end Dx
    I had a Toy Story Movie day(ish) today. I love how Sid is at the end of the third as the garbage man; nice link to the first one. I was wondering while rewatching the third one; why wasn't Emperor Zurg in it?

2. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

That's a good point actually. Maybe it's because he was in the second film ehich wasn't the original and they wanted to make connections to the first one and not the second. IDK.

I know of 3 versions of the DVD out, a normal 1 disc version with little extras, a 2 disk version with a lot of extras and a 3 disk version which includes Blu-ray as well as a lot of extras. I have never really watched the extras to a film but I'd love to see some of the concepts behind it.

I do love how in Disney films they make connections to other Disney films, e.g. in the first Toy story at the end they're listening to Hakuna Mutata in the car, and in Tarzan in the camp they have a tea set which resembles Mrs Potts and Chip from Beauty and the beast. I'll have to go find the list of Pizza planet sightings and rewatch all the Disney films xD

3. The Twin My, what a strange duet

Do it, Ienzo, it's tons of fun catching things like that.

My brother and I decided he was still playing baseball with his "son", one of the other Buzz figures from Al's Toy Barn. You'll have to rewatch that scene in Toy Story 2 to get that.

4. P Banned

Zurg was never actually with Andy, so he has no real reason to be with them in the first place. Even if he were with them at the end of Toy Story 2, a ton of toys got thrown out, including Bo-peep. The cast was cut down in Toy Story 3.

5. kaseykockroach Hollow Bastion Committee

I am an agnostic bordering on atheism where Pixar is concerned, so it took me awhile to get around to watching this thing.
    The characters are lacking in any complexity, and ultimately in any interest. The toys have always been defined as individuals by schtick, clever plays on or against type—the airhead Barbie doll, the milquetoast dinosaur—but Pixar worked those schticks very hard in the first two movies, and in the third we're left with the reality that these characters are essentially indistinguishable. They're toys, and they yearn for some child to play with them, preferably without tearing them apart. That's it.
    There are hints in all three of the Toy Story movies that their premise could have been explored in intriguing and potentially disturbing ways, as when the toys bump into the reality that there is no difference between them and vast numbers of other toys that look just like them. Surely the fear that we're not really individuals of unique value but just disposable parts in a vast, impersonal socioeconomic machine comes closer to being "the most primary fear," but the movies quickly dispose of any such traces of existential anxiety.
    So, the toys are cute, as always, but any interest must be looked for not in them but in their situation. In TS3, Andy, the toys' owner, has reached college age, thus the question, what is to become of his playthings? Will their destination be the attic, a daycare center, the city dump, or, in Woody's case, Andy's dorm room? That complexity is managed well, for the most part. The toys' "prison break" is clever and funny enough to justify the overdrawn grimness of the daycare-center-as-prison metaphor that precedes it. Past that point, a story demands richer characters than Toy Story 3 can provide.
    CGI animation, which encourages complexity of many other kinds, has proved to be a stubborn obstacle to animated acting of real subtlety, but then, animated features of all kinds rarely combine narrative complexity and character complexity in satisfying fashion. That's one reason most animated features are regarded, correctly, as children's films. I haven't seen anything in most of the Pixar features to suggest that the Pixar directors feel any strong interest in achieving a rich blend of story and character, or are capable of it.
    What Pixar has tended to provide instead is a sort of emotional blackmail, epitomized by the opening minutes of Up (can you claim to be a truly good person if you are not moved, on cue, by the story of Ellie and Carl?). I don't feel it's a bad film especially, but I didn't find it very compelling.
    The Pixar stuff in general is neither good nor bad to me, I just shrug my shoulders...