Top 5 genres GO.

Discussion in 'Music' started by Ars Nova, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Ars Nova Just a ghost.

There are a few "favorite genre" threads out there already, but the aim here is different. Extend it to 5 and show off the versatility of your tastes. Are you an avid fan of both steampunk neoclassical and turntablism? Are you a metalhead who moonlights as a j-pop aficionado? Or are all of your top five incredibly niche subgenres of country? Every poster's a grab bag!

Examples or favorites of your genres are always welcome. You may also go well beyond five, if you please. May post mine later if we get some noise in here.

2. Technic☆Kitty Hmm

1. Rap or Hip/Hop- I don't want to lump everything together, as there is some I don't like. I like the songs that have a deeper meaning, something that's real and relatable. As such, I'd have to say Eminem/Slim Shady/Marshall Mathers is my favorite artist from this genre.

2. Rock- Sometimes I like to get loud and just let it all go. Sometimes taking a fist to the face in a moshpit isn't all that bad. I'd have to say Nickelback is my favorite artist in this genre, solely because I like a majority of their songs. Second to them would be FFDP.

3. Jpop- I got into it while listening to anime. Favorite artist, don't hate, Mikuni Shimokawa. I fell in love with her after listening to "All The Way" which was used in Kino's Journey.

4. Country- I don't care for a lot of the new stuff, as it's mostly pop. But sometimes I can relate to what the songs are about, and that's what I like about music. No real favorite artist.

5. Pop- A very minuscule amount of pop music can I listen to. I don't like a lot of it, just a very few songs. No favorite artist.

3. Arch Mana Knight

1. Progressive Metal. I honestly don't listen to much of it but my current favorite band is in this genre. I'm a guitarist and composer, so it's easy for me to see a lot of musical elements that most people would miss. My favorite band, Animals as Leaders, is very musically impressive without becoming so...self-absorbed in technical/theoretical ability that the music itself becomes stale. One of my personal favorites from this band.

2. Post Rock. Kind of hard to describe this genre. It's not as "hardcore" as progressive metal and I suppose it's more...thematic. Most songs here are instrumental. I just love instrumental songs. Who says you need a singer to carry out emotion? Great song here.

3. Metal. Just...plain old metal. Not going to be more specific about the subgenres because I'm really referring to mainstream metal. Musically impressive? Usually not, but that doesn't stop me from enjoying some good ol' chugging. Not gonna give an example because then I'd just be listing off hundreds of songs.

4. Flamenco style music! Flamenco isn't a genre, but the culture does have it's own style of music.

5. So I've been listing a lot of genres that depend on guitars. So here's one that doesn't! I suppose this last one isn't going to really be a genre because it encompasses too many things. Video game(and anime) music. A lot of time I just look for soundtracks of games(or DBZ >>; ) and just listen to them for a good long while.

4. Pein Merlin's Housekeeper

Ok 3....2....1.... GO!!!!

1. Rap/hip hop. Artists like Aesop rock,Atmosphere,kid cudi. Get me going. Old stuff is great

2. metal/ nu metal. Nirvana, slipknot, system of a down, Marilyn Manson whoooooo Boy that is some good stuff.

3. Kpop. Big bang,GD,TOP, 2ne1. Their pretty catchy

4. Classic rock. Van halen, Led zepllin, Ozzy, Pink Floyd, Freddy Mecury, Queen. Just to name a few. Always good no matter how im feeling..

4. Punkish/hardcore Lol im hoping these r in the right group.... Greenday (old school/ American idiot time), Alexisonfire, The Misfits ( Cant forget about them. So good.)

5. Country........ Johnny Cash?? I don't mind country but hes the only artist in that genre I know lol

5. Fellangel Bichael May

1. Electronic (includes dance, dubstep, house, progressive house, melodic dubstep, electro-pop, and like 50 others that fall under this catagory) most favorite genre

2. OSTs (I LOVE music from video games and movies).

3. Pop/Rock (Not really pop, but not really rock either. Kinda like a good mix of both)

4. Covers (Not really a genre, but I really enjoy those who make covers of the songs out there. Heck, many of them are better than the original)

5. Alternative (Kinda of a hit-and-miss. Either I really like it or I really don't)

6. nasirrich King's Apprentice

I'll end you on the spot so watch your six
    1 Rap/ Hip-Hop- Slaughterhouse, Eminem, Yelawolf, Rakim, Nas, Biggie, Big L, Mos Def, DJ Quik, Lupe, mostly Late 80's 90's and some artist this year none including Lil Lame, MMG, Swag Kid rap. I listen to Lyrically talented mind penetrating type ish

2 Jpop- Utada Hikaru I mostly listen to her, although there are those from the anime I watch I just love Utada. JPop Goddess

3 Rock- I'll go with 1000 Foot Krutch, Finger Eleven, Disturbed, and 7Dust

4 Classical- I don't really have a favorite producer actual I listen to a lot. But Mostly Piano Recitals I didn't know if that was its own genre so I put it here. But my top 3 list of pieces would have to be
    Dvorak Symphony No. 9 in E minor From The New World
    Chopin- Revolutionary Etude
    Borodin- Polovtsian Dances

5 Jazz and Real R&B- Al Green, Joe Chambers, Luther Vandross, Whitney Houston, Angie Stone, Chaka Khan, Michael Jackson(Although considered the King of Pop he's classed as an R&B artist from last I've seen.) Ne-Yo, and Erykah Badu

7. Vagineer Hollow Bastion Committee

1. OSTs (I've always loved listening to OSTs when I was 9-10 years old.)

2. World Music (Dang, Globus makes good music. Especially Save Me)

3. J-Pop (Ayumi Hamasaki... My favorite J-Pop artist...)

4. K-Pop (2NE1, SHINee and Big Bang are my personal favorites...)

5. Classical (I really don't have a favorite composer though)

That's all... XD