Tips on how to get a job?

Discussion in 'Help with Life' started by Lauriam, Jul 23, 2016.

1. Midnight Star Master of Physics

Is there training provided or do they just throw you into the deep end is a good one to know.

A personal favourite of mine (though not necessarily one I'd advise you asking) is 'What is the worst part of your job/what is your least favourite thing about working here?' This is a good one to ask if you're left alone with someone who is currently doing a job that is similar to the one you are applying for as if they give you an honest answer, any problems they have are likely to be ones you have too. Alternatively if you ask it while their manager is in the room (like I did) then it's just kinda funny watching their reaction as you put them on the spot with their boss there. You won't necessarily get an honest answer in that situation though.

Other things I've asked about before include how much pressure is there to reach targets, are the targets achievable, how strict is the dress code, what opportunities are there for career progression, ect. The Forbes list is probably a good guide to go by. Their questions focused more on creating a good impression where as mine were more things I wanted to know.

Also as an update, I have since successfully got a job. It took applying to lots and lots of jobs, four phone interviews and 4 face-to-face interviews (3 of which progressed from a phone interview). I'm also still waiting to hear back from one of those face-to-face interviews but since I took this job, I'll have to turn them down even if I get offered it.

2. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Ah, makes sense. I have also got a job since this thread was first posted. And I've only worked five shifts so far, but I'm really liking it so far. However, thanks for the extra tips, Sara, next time I'm looking for work, I'll be sure to use those. lol, that was my least favorite question in interviews, too. XD

3. Midnight Star Master of Physics

It may not be your favourite but it is one that is pretty much guaranteed to be asked at the end of any interview (both phone and face-to-face) so you know to prepare questions (my problem came when they answered all my prepared questions in the interview already and you don't really want to ask about something they've just told you xD). However that is also one question where saying you don't have any or that they've already answered all the ones you have won't mark you down that much, however having good questions ready does give a good impression.

4. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

Oh, I know it's important. That's part of why it's my least favorite, lol. XD So yeah, that's why I was saying that Sara's tips will be helpful in the future. XD

5. Spike H E R O

........Oh, I guess I'm late on this one.

Glad it worked out, though. I was working 3 jobs until recently and my best piece of advice was something along the lines of "Go where you have someone on the inside". It helps to have an employee there vouch for you. References are an invaluable asset.

That's my usual M.O.

6. Lauriam I hope I didn't keep you waiting...

lol, I got my first job after a lousy interview because my sister worked there and she worked hard. That's pretty much what the manager told me after my interview. "Well, your sister is a stellar employee, so if you're anything like her, welcome to the team." And then the job I got at Pita Pit was because my husband was the assistant manager and convinced corporate to flex the rules just to hire me for the Holiday Rush, since it was in a major tourist hub. XD

7. Sara Tea Drinker

Oh yeah, another interesting tip:

Watch body language. This is MUCH overlooked and one of the biggest things managers look at if they are into this. Are you leaning back with your arms crossed? That's bad, it's means you are "closed off" to ideas and listening to people. Are you leaning forwards with your hands in front of you loosely? That means you're eager to learn and hear, maybe a bit too much for some employers. Are you sitting in your chair with your back straight, legs crossed and hands resting on your knee? That's a more relaxed posture, while being more professional to show that you're comfortable in the situation. Do you sit in the chair with your arms to the side, shoulders back, staring straight ahead... Some employers might like it, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you're going for the military.

Also take note of the body language of the employers trying to hire you. Some employers have already made up their minds and are just doing the rest as a requirement for the company. This is a true story from one of my college professors: He went into an interview and noticed everyone had their arms crossed and were leaning back with a closed position, before even starting the interview, he knew they weren't going to hire him. They didn't care about his ideas or his history: They had chosen someone else and were doing this because they had to. He kept it brief, polite and very short and left quickly. A guy pulled him aside afterwards and complimented him on how he handled the situation when he knew that they were going to hire someone else. Even if you don't get the job, leaving that impression will help you in the long run.

8. Shuhbooty moon child

I don't mean to be "that person" but from all the tips you are giving her @Sara they are VERY formal and feel like high end jobs interviewing tips. I don't work at any formal establishment, however since being back with this retail company I've been able to get my manager position back (after being away for a year) from this last month. My asking pay was $10 and hour, and they did not hesitate or try and negotiate with me, in my asking wage. (This was due to skills I had, and tried to talk about in my interview process.) When I was promoted my pay again, was bumped significantly. I'm a full time worker and part time student, due to classes being full. And everything you said WAS correct, and I literally give that exact information to siblings and close friends that struggle with minimum wage jobs. It just really depends on the work. I always say to be yourself, but be as FORMAL as you can. Use that vocabulary. Vocalize your skill sets, how you learn quick, EXPRESS yourself, but also- don't be a robot. @Marushi was able to get a job, but these are some things you can come back to, when you're ready for a career!

9. Sara Tea Drinker

It also helps when you get in a situation with your boss and/or anyone else. :p Not being mean or rude, just body language is one of the biggest overlooked languages that people don't notice.

It is used in a professional setting, but say you want to ask for time off/ask for help/need to talk to them about something...? See the boss with their arms crossed? Don't even try it... They're probably angry about something, and they won't listen. If you try to talk to them and they cross their arms, they're probably not going to listen. They get close? Make an excuse and bail... Trust me, the closer they are to you, the more likely they're looking for a target. No manager unless they really like you gets close unless they're yelling. Or they yell across the store like they did at an apartment store I worked at. Look to see what position their body is in before you go ask for favors. The better the mood, the more of a chance you have of getting what you need.

I had a nasty bully at my last job: I was desperately trying to get it resolved through my workplace and nothing was working. I noticed a few episodes in with complaints that my boss, and a co-worker that I was also having massive problems with, every time they sat down to talk to me: Their bodies would close up. They weren't interested in me or my problems or the fact the girl was doing her job wrong: They liked her better than me and if I didn't like it: Too bad... It was me to deal with and I'll get in trouble myself. It was a massive tip to me that it wouldn't get resolved within the company and I was becoming a target myself complaining. Same thing when she accused me of stealing early in my job there: Her body was as closed as possible. Standing over me, leaning back on the desk, arms crossed, feet crossed. She had already believed I had taken the stuff and wouldn't listen to a word I said. When things like that happen: Back off, keep your mouth shut, and try your best... At the very least, it will save you from being a target yourself.

Words can slip easily through someone's mouth as lies, someone who doesn't know how it affects a conversation can give away so much to another person who can read it. I think I spent a month on it in my management class alone. The instructor drilled us non-stop on it and I never realized how much it affect someone's perspective of you.

It has been used by a lot of Presidents, too... XDDD... Johnson was famous for body language and pushing to his advantage getting into someone's face and pointing their finger. Though I wouldn't recommend that anywhere you work unless you're REALLY high up and secure in your position.

10. Shuhbooty moon child

I'm sorry that happen to you. :( However, due to my size I've never been approached or talked to that way. I'm very bubbly, but I've learned to never let anyone- even my boss walk all over me. Taking advantage of people makes me sick, and I express that at my work place significantly. Although I've been spoken too "matter of factually", but I still let them know how I felt. They can't fire you for bad mouthing, they can for someone else though..( I don't want to give the idea this is ok, because it's not. And most employers would probably take you out of the job and not even care. But I put my foot down years ago, and had enough. And I'm very happy with where I am today- I have the opportunities to express myself and help others with this kind of abuse via work force) My last boss however, had a HUGE ego, and he was always bored. So his arms always crossed when he was approached by workers.. (he hated his job and wanted to quit. so he started to just get annoyed with everyone. but he never did that).

11. Sara Tea Drinker

Oh yeah: If someone arranges to call you for a phone appointment and they don't call you...

Leave a polite e-mail or phone call to them. Be polite, be brief and explain what happened. Yesterday I had a phone interview set up, I waited for an hour with no phone call. I called and left a polite message along with an e-mail saying the same thing: I waited for an hour with no phone call and just was wondering what happened. She e-mailed me back this afternoon explaining that she had an emergency and left the office immediately. It actually was a good note for me because she seemed much more open when I said I was sorry for the emergency and hoped everything was going well.

Inconveniences and disastrous events like that can work to your advantage if you are polite and understanding. I couldn't believe how it turned out.