The Wonders of Science: Hot and Cold Water

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Amaury, May 15, 2014.

1. Amaury Legendary Hero

I just finished mowing the front and back yard about an hour ago, and my legs and feet were killing me, so I took a nice, hot bath.

I've just begun taking baths again recently ever since my legs were killing me after I went down with my mom to the horse clinic that one day I was gone, and I find it really fascinating how hot or cold water can make you feel a whole lot better.

Can someone explain how and why hot and cold water work wonders on sore muscles?

2. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

I know that heat opens up your pores; maybe that has something to do with it? I dunno. I just know that hot showers are really relaxing at all times of the year (for me, anyway), and colder showers are pretty darn nice in the summer, too.

3. Patman Bof

Temperature can cause vasoconstriction (cold) or visodilatation (hot). The hotter the water the more oxygen and food your muscles get.

Temperature is actually constrictive or dilatative period, I' m sure your private parts noticed. It affects your muscles too, so hot = relaxing and cold = energizing. Ideally you' d start with hot water to relax, then finish with cold water for a couple minutes to snap out of it. Or mimic scandinavians and roll in the snow right after the sauna.

Oh, and the water does a slight massage, especially showers.