The Postbox

Discussion in 'The Playground' started by C, Aug 15, 2011.

1. Laplace TSUKI NO SHIHAI

I actually did a cover of Led Zeppelin's Stairway to Heaven and Queen's Too Much Love Will Kill You with vocals and all, but they were pretty bad because I barely had any vocal training back then.

I do own a good mic but the on-board sound card is what it kills me.

I might re-record Stairway to Heaven, MIGHT as it depends on my mood and how much I have improved, but keep an eye on my music thread and the SpamZone Lounge for any possible updates.

And thank you very much for your compliment on my music, I work very hard so I appreciate it.

Also, that's what I used to say, yet here I am, never say never. c:

2. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

T-thanks?

I really dislike my voice, but thank you for saying that.

3. Jayn

Aww, thanks a bunch. <3

4. Llave Superless Moderator

oooh yis u can even use your love to open my door bb i'yaknow ah mean ;]

5. SoulboundAlchemist Gummi Ship Junkie

Thank you!

6. Yukari Merlin's Housekeeper

[​IMG]
    You're so sweet and WHOEVER YOU ARE I LOVE YOU

7. T3F Chaser

8. Kites Chaser

you could just say 「ここに来て!」(koko ni kite)

9. ShibuyaGato Transformation

YOU HAVE 3 NEW MESSAGES
    READ MESSAGES: Y/N

Message To: Roxam

Message To: Misty
    what if i told you that i like Ice Cream Beat AND Toriyama? >:'D

Message To: Ethan
    @Misty @Ethan @Roxam

YOU HAVE 1 NEW MESSAGE
    READ MESSAGE: Y/N

Message To: Lana Del Jayn / Laplace
    please tell me how you learned to compose music i need to learn

Last edited: Mar 28, 2014
  10. Amaury Legendary Hero

I give up.

11. ShibuyaGato Transformation

Wow. I actually beat you at your own game. But it's no fun if you just give up. Go on, guess! ;)
    @Ethan

12. Amaury Legendary Hero

Roxam.

13. Laplace TSUKI NO SHIHAI

Well, let's see (Incoming long post full of personal experiences), also, if somebody who knows thinks I'm throwing terminology wrong please correct me. <_<

I began to became interested in composing music after listening so much to Daisuke Ishiwatari's compositions, after a while, I decided to compose my own music for my personal reasons.

I began literally mashing random notes on a sampler (Can be one of your choice between FL Studio, Ableton Live, Cubase, etc. Look up DAW AKA "Digital Audio Workstation", the one you choose doesn't matters unless you are going RAM-heavy on your Virtual Instruments in which case a 32-bit sampler gives you a 4 GB MAX limitation; but if you use a 64-bit one you need a bridge program to link the 64-bit sampler to the 32-bit Virtual Instruments), but as I listened to Daisuke's compositions, I noticed they all follow a base phrase or short melody that is used for the first or so compass (A musical lenght term) and repeated it atleast twice. That was musical structure at full power. After that it was just a matter of finding a catchy phrase and warping it by adding more post-phrases to it (As in, I do a phrase, then another phrase, repeat first phrase, another phrase, repeat first three phrases and add an ending phrase for the entire thing) And that's how I began composing music seriously.

There is also riffs, which means repeating a short tune over and over again. Most commonly used in Metal so the vocalist can sing over them (Because riffs are rarely alternate notes, it can be used as a base of sorts.)

Which is why I find solos so hard, they are incredibly freeflow and they barely follow any structure.

After that I learned about harmony theory, basically it says two notes which are different (Like for example, Do and Sol), when played together, can make a chord or harmonious thing. Also the harmony not only extends to the note themselves, but the volume (As in, the background thing sounds quieter), note movement (You can't a huge amount of instruments alternating notes or you'll end with a mess), and so on. Harmony means balance of everything.

Training the ear to become sensitive to sound is something that runs in my family, so I quickly picked up harmony.

I haven't learned many chords but internet has many images with Piano/Keyboard chords, so I copied that into a Word Document and began using them (I also bought a MIDI Keyboard to make my life easier, might work for you if you are willing to spend the money).

Then I learned about the more theory that basically talks about writing a short melody, moving it a note higher/lower and repeating it exactly the same. Stuff like that is used to compose Electric Guitar Solos or Orchestral pieces.

Most tutorials I watched on Youtube don't help at all as they all talk about making bases and stuff, or they talk about how to distort guitars/prepare yourself and I wanted melody and harmony theory. Still, there are some ones, for example uhh... look up on Youtube "Theodor Krueger Riff Tutorial" and watch as the magic unfolds.

Another thing entirely is percussion, I haven't fully learned that but it has to do with hitting the drums on 1 and 3 when counting from 1 to 4.

The trick in this is practice, practice, practice. And never, NEVER give up, no matter how horrible it sounds, you are still learning, you are always learning new techniques and things.

And remember, it isn't the instruments, it's the musician, I began composing with an average Electric Guitar and drum samples. It doesn't matter if you are using MIDI Sound Card guitars as long as you rock them out.

In short, I learned from listening to my favorite musicians, getting inspiration from them, and trying my best.

Anything you want to add @Lana Del Jayn? Sorry if I said too much. I just wanted to be helpful. <.<

Also hopefully my post isn't that much of a mess for anyone to read, I tried to add in as much stuff, if you have any questions, do ask me.

14. Jayn

Thanks Laplace. <:

For myself personally I'm a very self-motivated person. I tried to go to school for composition but it was awful, I couldn't stand the confines of it. How you go about learning is very much up to you, everyone has a different way of thinking. How I learn is often through experimentation and emulation. For instance, listening to a song and then trying to make a replica of it. What instruments are used? What's the BPM/tempo? Then looking at my result and noting what needs to be improved upon at that point. Once I know how to replicate something, I know how to do it myself.

I use Mixcraft because I prefer the layout vs. FL Studio, which is very popular. I used to use pro-tools, too. Mixcraft is kind of like the PC version of Garage Band, and if you're familar with that you know that there are loops you can use to piece together your own songs. Try that [ Mixcraft if you don't have a Mac ]. It's fun, it's easy, and it's a neat way to experiment without having to get too heavy into the technical stuff.

I've been doing music for so long I have a hard time teaching other people because it's kind of always just been there for me, but back in my childhood I spent a lot of time tinkering around with the grand piano we had, and playing the violin / flute. It was never a thing I learned how to do because of hardcore studying and intense lessons or anything. It was fun, it wasn't stressful, and so I learned. So just do what comes naturally and enjoy yourself.

If you work better with a teacher, there are a lot of Youtube tutorials and free lessons available to you assuming you're not in school for it or able to meet with someone in person.

Good luck. If you give Mixcraft a shot, feel free to contact me off anon or whatever and I can help you with any questions or anything that happens to come up.

15. ShibuyaGato Transformation

YOU HAVE 2 NEW MESSAGES
    READ MESSAGES: Y/N

Message To: Megara
    AMETHYST, ROXAM ISN'T ANSWERING HIS MESSAGES AND HE'S BEING MEAN :c

@Ethan @Megara

16. Amaury Legendary Hero

Yukari.

17. ShibuyaGato Transformation

YOU HAVE 1 NEW MESSAGE

Message To:
    Ethan
    @Ethan

18. Amaury Legendary Hero

Marushi.

19. ShibuyaGato Transformation

YOU HAVE 1 NEW MESSAGE

Message: Where are you getting these guesses from? o_O Try again...
    @Ethan

20. Amaury Legendary Hero

Cat.