The most difficult book to read...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Laurence_Fox, Apr 30, 2007.

1. ~.Only.Twilight.~ Merlin's Housekeeper

I didn't find the LOTR books really hard to read, although I had to read one paragraph like 4 times to understand it, :lol3:. But that was most because I was at my aunt’s house at the time and that family is crazy!

However I'm finding The Children of Húrin by J.R.R. Tolkien near impossible to read! It's just so... depressing and... dull. Not to mention super confusing :confused:.

Pride and Prejudice was a bummer to read as well. The school librarian gave it me to read since she said I was reading too many Fantasy books for a girl at the time and thought that most of the girly books would be too easy for me (not true but more on that later). It was really confusing :confused: and I had no idea what was happening at all! However I recently saw the movie and really enjoyed it so I may try reading the book again...

I know this is supposed to be a good book but I couldn't read Eragon! I don't know why, but I just keep falling asleep while reading it! :sleepy: It was kinda boring, :lol:.

The teen-girl romance kinda books are also usually difficult for me to read but that's because I get so mad at them! :mad: The characters are so dim and only care about being popular and make-up and boys and I feel like chucking the book at the wall! :ranting:

2. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

The Catcher in the Rye. It's a classic, but it's so repetitive, it gets very boring VERY quickly.
    I haven't found a plot yet, and I've read the book once and skimmed through it twice.

A Separate Peace was also another "where the hell is the plot" book, but on a different level than Catcher.
    Call me sadistic, but I really like classic depressing books and Shakespeare.
    "Et tu, Brute?"

The Aneid was also good, but I tried reading it in the original Latin prose form, and I couldn't translate half of it. But the English story form was excellent. A little hard to follow if you don't know a lot about Roman mythology and Latin. s

3. jojoj13 Hollow Bastion Committee

Artemis Fowl.
    It's hard for me because i read the fifth book while not reading the first book.
    :sweatdrop:

4. Sumi suicidé

JONNY TREMAIN.

5. {Vena_Sera}_ The Anti{Saint} King's Apprentice

probally the divine comedy, by dante

6. Jiku Neon Kingdom Keeper

In my experience I'd never thought I could hate a book until I read Treasure Island. The beginning was too boring for words and I have yet to finish it. To put some perspective on this the 1600+ page Three Kingdoms was easy to finish in comparison.

7. Zekushion Traverse Town Homebody

For me, I think my books to read:

Dragons of a Fallen Sun: I bought it a couple weeks ago, since I absolutely love the Dragon Lance series, but every time I go to read this book, I get a couple pages done and then ignore it for a while. I think most of my problem is that there are so many things mentioned in the War of Souls trilogy that I just don't understand because I think I missed the series with the Chaos Wars. It's a bit hard to follow. =S

Of Mice and Men: Had to read that book when I was a sophomore in high school and I still hate it. It was just too boring to read and I'll never understand how the bloody hell Steinbeck managed to become such a reknowned author.

8. Blademaster Mai'kel Hollow Bastion Committee

Silmarillion. I still cant understand the details. I get the plot, but that's about it. Mockingbird wasn't hard at all; it was a great book, I don't understand why you guys had trouble with it.

9. {Vena_Sera}_ The Anti{Saint} King's Apprentice

all books beside game books.

Im stupid, jk i still say the divine comedey by dante i havent read it but my sis said its hard and has italian

10. Aura Goddess

I'd have to say To Kill a Mockingbird.I kept on being told that the book was really good and that it's worth it to read it.But when my English teacher passed out the books and we started to read it,I quickly got confused.Even in the middle of the book it was confusing.I hated that book.

11. Marluxia13579 Twilight Town Denizen

War and Peace=horrific. It's like 1200 pages long. Gah.

I read Pride and Prejudice when I was 12, and I swear I have absoutely no recollection of anything that happens in it. I don't even know what the characters' names are.

12. Princess Luna Supreme Co-Ruler of Equestria

The Structure of Scientific Revolutions
    Oh my dear goodness, may they have mercy on your soul. T_T It's not hard to understand, it's just that . . . it's SOOOO freaking boring that you want to commit suicide . . . or go to sleep. If you're an insomniac, this would probably be the best cure. D'8

13. Princess Snow White I feel such an isomniac.

"The Chocolate War"
    I've finished the whole book, but I still don't get it.

14. Luna Lovegood nani panda-kun

The Lord of the Rings. I tried my best, I only got to the part when they were in 'The Prancing Pony'. My head surely would have exploded if I continued. And I rarely discontinue a book. It just had WAY too much unnecessary detail.

15. reptar REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Hamlet omg i hate books that are plays

16. Ashwa <3 Hollow Bastion Committee

I have to read those two for honors this summer. I finished Catcher and I agree with you; there is no plot whatsoever.

I've only just started A Separate Peace and I really don't think it has a plot. After reading what you said, I'm guessing there won't be a plot ;_;

17. Asylum Destiny Islands Resident

I find Shakespeare a tad bit difficult. I really enjoy reading it though ^^'. Apart from that, I haven't found any difficult books.

18. S m i l e s <3 Destiny Islands Resident

Siddheartha :sideways:

19. TheMagicalMisterMistoffelees Professional Crazy

For me, I would have to say the Screwtape letters. i got in about 5 pages and had to go back and read that part over again.

20. Maka Albarn It's called love

My book in eighth grade was "The Merry Adventures of Robin Hood".... all that old English and weird Grammer really raveled my brain. *_* I forced myself to read up to page twelve and then I threw down the book and said, "'Tis enough!!! GAH!!!!!"
    I only attempted to read it because it gave good AR reading points... lol