The most difficult book to read...

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Laurence_Fox, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Laurence_Fox Chaser

Have you ever come across a book that you were so psyched about reading but then you read about ten pages in and it turns out to be the hardest book ever?

For me it was either To Kill a Mockingbird or The Silmarillion.

To Kill a Mockingbird would have been fun to read if it wasn't for a class assignment. I think that's what killed it for me.

The Silmarillion I Still have not been able to finish. I've been told it's impossible to read cover to cover. I read the first chapter and I'm like 'What the hell did I just read?'

2. Crispers Beep Boop

XD well how bout shakesphere?

anyways i lov shakesphere XD i donno y i can understand it XD

3. AlexleHoshi Dude called Alex

I find books where you can pick what happens in it hard, I mean it's not a very good book if it make you pick what happens. Know what I mean?

4. Axel2071 Destiny Islands Resident

Mine was some book from the early 1700's that I found at an antique shop XD

5. Jade Rhade King's Apprentice

Well, it's not impossible, as I read it when I was 13. O.O

I'd have to say Nathaniel Hawthorne's The Scarlet Letter... that man goes SO OVERBOARD with his detail that it's not even funny. I all but cried through the 50-page introduction from sheer boredom. His first chapter is the description of a door. I'm not joking. >.<

6. Emo Pengwin Hollow Bastion Committee

To Kill a Mockingbird.

I checked it out in 6th grade and tried reading it...

I heard it was good, but you can't keep a 6th grader occupied for long with a story like that...

7. AlexleHoshi Dude called Alex

Dude really? how many chapters are there in that book 1000? if it was just a door i'd me find with just the colour and what it's made of and any small patten it may have on it, but man a whole chapter on a door

8. ZeldaStrife Merlin's Housekeeper

A word of advice: dont ever read A Tale of Two Cities. When they say he got paid by the word, they're not kidding. And i read the first five pages and went, "wtf did i just read?" That book is hard as heck! I have The Silmarillion and it's hard, too. I like To Kill a Mockingbird--you have to really want to read it, though and give it chance.

9. Sorafan60 Gummi Ship Junkie

Mine are The Hobbit, Silas Marner, and Romeo and Juliet.

The only thing that got me through the Hobbit, was the fact I had to read it for english class.

Silas Marner, it has 18-19th century English in it, and it was very boring. I never finished it even though I had to read it for class.

Romeo and Juliet was good, but I only understood it because of translations, and my teacher had us watch the older version of the movie.

10. venster You never heard of me, but I pop in time to time

gah...I'm reading that right now for class. It makes more sense around chap 4. xD But it gets confusing after a while. My teacher said to keep reading and it should make sense after 100 pages. O_O

11. Cia (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*.✧*.✧

I haven't read a hard book, yet. :( I want to join this club. :rolleyes: ha just kidding.

12. ZakuraRabbit Gummi Ship Junkie

Silmarillion and Lord of the Rings were both quite hard but Silmarillion was the worst one.
    I have a pocket-version of it in norwegian (my first language) and it took me 3 months to read, at the same time I got Harry Potter adn the order of Phoenix in english and that one took me 3 days:p
    The worst part about Silmarillion for me was that the characters have so many different names! It's impossible to keep track of them all!

13. Peyton Goddess Of Love ♥

I am actually a little embrassed by saying this, but I had problems reading a childrens book >.> It's a long time ago , but I still remember it *blushes*.

I opened the book and started to read and I was like wtf?! this is a childrens book O.O The word were friggin hard the language was really bad, and the worst part is that the book was supposed to be about the feelings of a dog. A dog! a 30 pages book! jeez some people can't write books.

Yeah, long time ago. And I am actually a good reader, not to be bragging or anything at all.
    I find the book lame, and I have said this before but it was a long time ago!.

^^

14. Kiryu Setsuna F. Seiei

The Lord of the Rings books were really hard to read. Guess that is why I gave up reading them, found them too boring.

15. Cia (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*.✧*.✧

*gasp of shock* I thought they were ok. ^_^' But yeah, after a while... @_@''

16. Jade Rhade King's Apprentice

Umm... it's in a really small typeface, so... damn, now I must go upstairs and check...

Right, 254 pages, which is nothing, you think? Well, the typeface is tiny. And yes, the first chapter was two pages long, speaking of the prison door. >.< Oh, and a rosebush beside the door. It's supposed to be this whole symbolism thing, but then there's me... *strangles symbolism*

17. Kiryu Setsuna F. Seiei

Yeah after a while it just became to much for me.

18. Patsy Stone Мать Россия

for me it has to be Silmarillion. i tried, then gave up and left it a few years. came back and managed to finish it after about 3 months. i kept being reminded of the bible with the constant "Bob, son of Jim, second cousin of Frank...."etc etc.
    theres also canterbury tales STILL IN YE OLDE ENGLISH!! found it at the side of my english room, tried to read the first page and nearly passed out from the effort.
    in comparison, i pre-ordered half blood prince, got it on saturday morning and had it read by sunday evening :D. but yeah, Silmarillion had to be the most difficult book in modern english to read.

19. Daenerys Targaryen ok

i agree with the first statement...I can't read shakesphere or any other older books only new things I can relate too..

20. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

I love to read and most books I can read no problem...except for one >_< I started it like 5 years ago but I find it so boring I can't bring myself to finish it! Hehehehe Huckleberry Fin :( I was told it was really good but it just makes me sleepy, I am determined to finish it one day though! :D

Other than that The Return Of The King was kinda hard going and also The Half Blood Prince, jeez that book did my head in! :( it was easy to read but so irritating! For crying out loud I get the cave is green! *breathes* lol rant erm over!

Shakespeare and a lot of older books are really good! The Tempest is brilliant! Oh and Othello, Hamlet is good too :D