The Lounge: Official Spamzone Community Thread

Discussion in 'The Spam Zone' started by DigitalAtlas, Jan 3, 2014.

1. Hiro ✩ Guardian

2. Misty gimme kiss

to piggyback off haya: you just kinda plop the CPU into place and then move the ZIF lever (zero insertion force -- you should not have to press on the CPU itself). the fans/coolers can be more complicated depending on what kind you get

3. 61 No. B

@Hayabusa @Misty
    yeah i mean i think i got everything installed correctly. gonna finish (hopefully) tomorrow. the last thing i did today was plug everything in which was actually much more frustrating than anything else. specifically finding the right cables for the hard drive. my plan is to kinda just turn it on tomorrow and see whats not making noise. i dont at all expect it to work out right the first time but i mean w/e i guess. there was one front panel cable that i could not at all find to go to anything and it didnt have a label. i may post pics tomorrow bc i just cleaned everything up and omg did i make a mess. rule #1 should have been stay organized not install io shield or whatever the heck

btw ps4 looks soo nice on the monitor. i didnt think 1080p would make much of a difference but man does it. it may also have a lot to do with like contrast and color balance and stuff tho bc i just realized my tv looks like excrement.

4. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

fyi I've decided that Shiro is my new boyfriend and if you try to take him I will come to your house and fight you irl

5. Misty gimme kiss

check out the manual that came with the mobo for the case wires. those jumpers control things like the power button so they are pretty important

but yeah for a first time builder all you really can do is boot and hope for the best, if there's an error or something you can troubleshoot from there

6. 61 No. B

i did! i looked all over and cant find anything about it. also pics:
    heres the thing i dont know what to connect to if anything
    image.jpeg

is this the right cable for the gpu?
    image.jpeg
    it fit so im assuming it is.

i cant get the gpu to go back any more than this so i cant put the screws on???
    image.jpeg

is this as far as the usb 3 goes? i couldnt tell
    and is that the right place to plug the hdd in? image.jpeg
    or here? i guess it doesnt matter since theyre all the same, right? image.jpeg

and here's everything overall if anyone sees any glaring problems. still kind of a mess
    image.jpeg
    i can take better pics this afternoon if theyre not clear enough

7. Ghost King's Apprentice

Keep him, Lance is my fave

8. Hiro ✩ Guardian

Personally I prefer Keith.

9. Hayabusa Venomous

It might just be a spare cable, but check that all the important components have power and are connected to the motherboard in some way an double-check your manual.

The "right cable" for your GPU depends on how much power it needs, but you are holding the right type. Just make sure it fills all those kinds of holes on your GPU.

Generally you have to hold the GPU up to get the screws in. If you don't, it'll sag and that's no good. Then again I really can't tell what's going on in that picture.

If you're using a traditional HDD, then yes, you use a SATA cable like in that picture. Just make it so it's conveniently placed for any future expansions that'll use SATA as well. It can be a real pain in the ass to get around those cables.

10. Amaury Legendary Hero

I think there's something wrong with me.

My most frequent grammatical error is when I write "different" when I mean "difference."

KH-Vids, is there something wrong with me?

11. Misty gimme kiss

the first cable is definitely coming from the case? it looks like a fan cable. when you turn it on (assuming you've got power), are all the fans spinning (case fans, GPU and CPU fans)

second pic looks like it's for the gpu, yes, however some GPUs use only four pins, not six. the cable should have the option to detach two of the pins

third pic: if you can, put in the GPU again just to make sure it's right. did your mobile screw in easily? if so then just hold the GPU in place and screw it in

fourth pic: USB 3 looks like it's in the right way, and yes that is where you plug in the HDD. they are all the same but if you have more than one drive (an ssd and a mechanical for example) you might want to take note of which port they are connected to. otherwise it really doesn't matter unless you bought a mobo with both 6.0 and 3.0 slots

12. 61 No. B

@Misty @Hayabusa

ok so i found online where someone said that extra cable was for a fan but they didnt say which fan and wher to connect it. is it for an extra fan, not the pre-installed case fan?

and for the gpu, i cannot hold it up or push it in such a way that allows enuogh clearnace for screws. and i noticed that the motherboardis not directly up against the back. theres a small gap between the ports and the shield which would also affect how much space is available for the gpu screws since the whole board is screwed into place. not sure what can be done about that. not sure if i did something wrong bc idk how you mess up aligning the holes with the screws. also im pretty sure even if i could screw it in, it wouldnt matter bc its mounted upside down and the little brackets that would fall on the screws are upside down so they wouldnt hold. it would just fall.
    image.jpeg

gonna go ahead and try and turn it on now. been putting it off bc it had been storming outside and i dont want any electrical worries[/spoiler]

13. Hayabusa Venomous

Probably so you can throw in an extra fan.

I think you either put the GPU or the motherboard in wrong from how it sounds. I know the first time I built a PC from scratch, I didn't seat the motherboard right. There shouldn't be a gap between the IO shield and the ports.

Always use a surge protector on the outlet with the power that you have connected to your PC.

14. 61 No. B

but how? everything lines up correctly as far as i can tell. the raisers to screw in the motherboard all lined up correctly when i put it in so im not sure where i could have gone wrong

15. Hayabusa Venomous

Have you already taken the GPU out completely and trying to reseat it? You shouldn't be having issues fitting the holes up.

16. 61 No. B

havent turned it on yet actuall. been looking at the mb closely to make sure its in right. thiking about just taking it out and trying to putting it in again. not too keen on taking it alll apart but if its to see if this can be fixed that easily i might do it. and putting it all together again shouldnt bee hard at all

17. Hayabusa Venomous

The GPU alone should be easy enough to take out, since that seems to be giving you issue.

18. 61 No. B

i did take it out so i can see easier. the real issue seems to be that the mb is sitting just slightly too far off which is throwing the gpu off as well

19. Hayabusa Venomous

Oh, then yeah it can be a pain to take everything out. But since you already know how to do it, you probably should to just make sure it's all snug and such.

20. 61 No. B

yeah. im not in any hurry to get this done bc i cant really use it until i get a desk for it and i cant do that until i get paid. prob just gonna ask all around online tomorrow while im at work. to me it looks like theres nothing i can do and its just a size issue with the mb/case.