The Hunger Games

Discussion in 'Movies & Media' started by Korra, Aug 29, 2011.

1. AlexleHoshi Dude called Alex

As someone who has yet to read the books *is planning too* I really did enjoy the film. It was better then I expected, I though I was going to not care about the character and that it's going to be just blood and gore, but it wasn't I cared for the characters, almost cried when one died and not much blood and gore, camera work could have been much better

2. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

As some of you know, I am not a big fan of the books. Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike them, but I don't really like them either. And I had many problems with the first book, especially with Katniss. With the movie though, I went in with an open mind.

For me
    I thought the movie was much, MUCH better than the book was. You see, the book broke one of the biggest rules of writing: SHOW, DON'T TELL. Obviously the director, writer, or someone on that team knew what kind of material they had on their hands and was more competent than the writer of the book. I enjoyed the subtleties that were add in, and also the small, quiet moments that got me feeling for the characters.

And I finally go to feel for Katniss as a character, which none of the books did for me. Finally, I saw what they meant when they referred to her as a "strong female character". I could actually feel the danger, rather than in the books, because it felt like she wasn't really in any harm in the books.

Take for instance, the scene where she shoots the arrow at the pig and hits the apple. In the book, I knew that she wasn't going to get penalized for that. I knew that they were going to give her a high score for what she did. When I watched the movie, I was worried about her score. Even though I knew what was going to happen, I was still wondering what they were going to give her.

The movie did feel slow at parts, but it would pick up in a matter of seconds. The movie was fun and I can finally see why these books are hyped up so much.

Now, if you excuse me, I'm going to hide out in my closet and prepare myself for the fangirl rage that is about to come.

3. Shikou Kingdom Keeper

Hunger Games? more like Battle Royale!!! D<
    Lol, just kidding. I liked the movie when I watched it a few weeks back. I can't wait for the sequel :)

4. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

I finally went to see it today to see what all the fuss was about, and I enjoyed it a LOT! Never read the books, but I'm already hyped for the sequel!

5. Mysty Unknown

I enjoyed it so much. I actually read the books. There is a lot you don't understand by just watching the movie.

6. Hiro ✩ Guardian

Just finished the book. It was better than the movie. and Katniss is pretty hot.

7. OblivionKeeper4 Merlin's Housekeeper

books are way better than the movie, i still really enjoyed the movie, i liked all the techniques and something about it was different, i also noticed it was a really quite movie, but i like that not alot of noise and you could focus on the storyline and katniss's voice.

8. FallenHeartless Merlin's Housekeeper

i have read all the books and i love them but i havent seen the movie yet soo im not sure which one is better! i hope they are as good as the books :)

9. Hiro ✩ Guardian

The books are better, but Katniss is hot in the movie

10. Meilin Lee RPG (Red Panda Girl)

I think it's a fact that books will always be better than movies based on them. Take Harry Potter for example. My least favorite HP movie is The Half-Blood Prince, but my favorite HP book is The Half-Blood Prince :/

As for The Hunger Games, I may read the books after the film trilogy is over.

11. Xella_XV Merlin's Housekeeper

People usually like the book better than the movie. That's a given. Only because the movie director decides to take out certain parts from the book that certain readers like. There will never be a movie that is equally as good as the book.

12. Hiro ✩ Guardian

If the movie was exactly like the book, would there be a point in watching the movie?

13. Riku-Sama's Shadow Hollow Bastion Committee

I've been meaning to see the film but never got to it :c I've read the hunger games though. Are the books superior ? I wouldn't want the movie to ruin the book for me D: the way some film adaptions of novels do

14. Hiro ✩ Guardian

It won't. The movie's good but the book is better.

15. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

A lot of it actually relies on the script-writer. They have to adapt a movie to be two hours or less. Of course they're going to cut certain things out; a movie needs to be compact. And with a book like the Hunger Games, there are a number of worthless scenes and padding found throughout the book. A good movie writer tries to adapt the original material and try to create something that can stand alone, not be lazy and just copy the original source directly just to please the fans.

I actually find the movie far more superior than the book. For one thing, the pacing of the book felt sloppy and it was just slow (even though it was a short book). The movie was compact, and although suffered pacing problems because of the source materials, it moved just fine. The book's biggest problem is its narrator: Katnis. She's bratty, self-serving, and self-rightious, and she doesn't change one bit. The movie takes you out of her head, and at least tries to make Katnis a bit more likable.

16. Xella_XV Merlin's Housekeeper

Oh thanks, I couldn't think of the title of the person. You do have a point, I agree. The only thing I didn't like about the movie were the action/fighting scene because the camera was so shaky. But other than that, I liked the movie.

17. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

The entire movie was shaky, really. That's more of a director's choice of which cameras to use to give the film a certain style. And, I can say I liked the movie too. I like it much better than I do the source material.

18. Xella_XV Merlin's Housekeeper

I preferred the second book over the first although I did like the whole series.

19. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

The second book is the best of the series, but that isn't really saying much. I already stated my dislike for Katnis, and that goes on into the rest of the books. She doesn't change on bit; a reason to tell a story such as this is to show the evolution of the hero. Katnis is not a good hero; in fact, she is completely unlikable. It also seems like the final two books should have just been one book, but it got split int two for 1) more money and 2) useless padding.

The writing isn't that great either. I mean, it's not terrible, but it could have definately been better. It's mediocre at best. One thing that got me upset about the writing was how there would be long conversations about the most useless of things that had no impact on the story, but for things that should have been important, it is just skimmed over.

Another complaint I have is the love triangle. For one thing, I didn't feel like Katnis cared for either of the boys in a romantic way; she was simply using them, which adds to my hatred of the character. More importantly, an idea that could be used to create interesting drama is now just a trope used to get teenage girls sucked in. With the way it was written, it seems that the author added the love triangle because it was successful with the Twilight franchise.

20. Xella_XV Merlin's Housekeeper

I can see the reason why you don't like Katniss. It seems like there's more to her that we didn't get a chance to read or understand. I believe there was more to her that should've been done to develop the character more. The stories were drawn out, especially in the third book. I didn't think it would never get to the climax of it but you are right about the love triangle. I knew Katniss didn't like either of the boys as Suzanne wanted the readers to see. It felt like she was using them (like you said), for her own benefit.