Film The Fault In Our Stars (2014)

Discussion in 'Movies & Media' started by Fork, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Fork These violent delights have violent ends

Trailer for the movie came out today

Anyone who's familiar with the book by John Green should know what to expect from this movie. I'm so excited for it because I though TFioS was a pretty good book. Casting choices seem pretty good too, so I really can't wait to see it.

2. Scarred Nobody Where is the justice?

I've never read the book, or any of Green's books for that matter. From quotes I've seen, stuff on tumblr, and friends who I trust when it comes to book recommendations say that the book is rather...pretentious. Judging from the trailer, I can clearly smell the pretentiousness.

However, behind the pretentiousness, it actually looks like it's a nice, solid, fluff movie. The lead guy seemed very charming, and it looks like it'll please the fans of the book. My main issue with it is seeing how well they handle the whole "young adult living with disability" stuff. I've lived it, and it's really not how people expect it to be. It's hard to capture that stuff when you're an outside, but it happens. My favorite movie that involves that kind of stuff is 50/50 (actually, my favorite movie in general). Again, haven't read the book, but it's something I'll look out for whenever I do see it.

All in all, it looks okay.

3. Misty gimme kiss

This is true about... kinda all of John's Green's books. Well, okay, I've only read TFiOS and An Abundance of Katherines, but his writing very much has that feel. I'm not sure pretentious is the exact right word for it if there is one, but it's definitely close. I think they're good books for young adult audiences and they're clearly really popular, but there's something that bothers me that I can't quite place.

The trailer was nice, I believe John Green was involved in the making of the movie so I'm sure it will be very faithful to the book. I doubt I'll see it just because I wasn't crazy about the book but I'm sure it'll get its share of viewers.