The Death Penalty

Discussion in 'Discussion' started by Jade Rhade, Mar 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Great Gatz Chaser

Well if you think about life in jail it is worse. In Saddam's case he would have to live with the fact that he knows he will have to go through a living hell. Then after he slowly rots away in prison he will have to spend an eternity in real hell. Say what you want but getting to somebody psychologically is more effective. It didn't feel good typing that.:( :( :(

2. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

It's sadly very very true though! *sends positiveness to cheer up Roxma*

3. Sanda Kingdom Keeper

As horrible as it is, its exactly how I feel.
    Infact, I couldntve said it better-
    Its like a double dose of their 'own medicine' as the expression goes...I mean they have to live withthemselves which is hard enough, and the other inmates. It is a real hell. And honestly, if you take away somone elses rights as a human being, then you deserve to have the same done to you by locking you up forever.

4. SquishyZ3ro Traverse Town Homebody

Saddam didn't get a lethal injection... He was hung.

I don't want to torture people, either, I just want their taint to be gone from the earth. The quicker we put criminals to death the less time they can hurt or torment or corrupt our world. That, to me, is more important than revenge, which is all torture is. And prison-life IS torture.

5. The Great Gatz Chaser

Well how do they hurt or torment this world if they are in prison where no civilians are. And it really depends on how you define revenge. To me killing somebody because they killed another man is revenge. And again you sicken me with your want for people to die.

6. SquishyZ3ro Traverse Town Homebody

Them being here at all is a taint. Bad people leave behind them bad things and good people leave behind them good things. That's how it has been and always will be. You seem to be missing my point; the longer they are here the higher the chance they will harm or corrupt someone else.

And would you quit with the telling me I disgust you. I know, thanks, stop repeating it.

7. Sanda Kingdom Keeper

I am very well aware of that thank you. Sorry I kinda put two thoughts togeher.

I was thinking about Sadam, meaning I want him to rot away in prison, and that OTHER convicts shouldnt have the right to an easy way out.

8. SquishyZ3ro Traverse Town Homebody

Ah.. Kay, yeah you did kinda shove the two thoughts together. Lol, now it makes more sense.

9. BlessedOne148 Destiny Islands Resident

You know it's funny, you don't opppose abortion, yet you oppose killing truly evil people? Why do they deserve to live more than than an innocent unborn child, I ask you?

10. SquishyZ3ro Traverse Town Homebody

Abortion and the Death Penalty have little to do with eachother. Any attempt at making a connection is futile, they're completely different topics.

11. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

Thank you for saying that! Both topics are being interrupted by each other! :D

12. Soushirei 運命の欠片

lol, first of all, you make it seem like I'm pro-abortion. There are a very few circumstances where I personally see abortion as an acceptable choice. When I approve of abortion, most of this 'approval' comes from sympathizing with the mother's situation, and her right to make a decision for herself. Once again, I'll reiterate that this 'right to make a decision for herself' doesn't extend to every situation: I don't condone a woman's actions if she simply went off, had sex and got herself pregnant then goes "Oh, I don't want this baby!". I'm talking about situations where there's a health risk, traumatic experience from the rape and her wish to not want to have the baby, etc. These are not judgments I make with the intention of killing 'innocent unborn [children]' as you put it.

I'm pro-choice on this matter (within limitations), not pro-abortion. Remember that.

As for the Death Penalty, for the most part, it's an absolute decision. There are no 'variants' nor are there as many complicated factors to consider in a moment of immediacy when discussing the Death Penalty. Either you kill criminals, or you don't. As well, there is no 'other person' to consider in the equation (ex. my pro-choice stance on abortion considers the well-being of the mother over the baby), nor is there a 'pro-choice' stance to take on the Death Penalty. You can't "choose which death row criminals to kill".

In *this* respect, me being 'pro-choice' on abortion, and 'anti-death penalty' have very little to do with each other. If I were pro-abortion and approved of it in any situation, then maybe you'd have a moral argument against me--but you don't.

13. Catch the Rain As the world falls down ♥

I agree with that entire post! :D

14. saxoR_vs_aroS Hollow Bastion Committee

all of what ロクサス says its true. and though i don't necessarily agree with some of Squishy's theories, i have to say... i have no real stance. as i earlier stated, there are moral and practical issues. i personally am drifting slightly towards ロクサス's side though.

Side note: I have posted it before, and will again. i have to say they did the right thing with saddam. because if they kept him in jail, some of his idiot supporters probably would kidnap someone and threaten to kill them if they don't let saddam free. and again, another innocent would die because the community can not afford to let Saddam free.

15. White_Rook Looser than a wizard's sleeve.

Squishy does has a point: there is a moral obligation for a government to protect it's people from violent persons and criminals. But it comes to a very senstive area when it's seen to be morally acceptable to kill someone because they have killed. To do act morally is to perform an act that in itself is intrinsically good. Yes there may be closure for victims and deterance for other criminals, but it doesn't seem like such an extreme action needs to be taken and is alone the most intrinisically good.

16. Alice Banned

Personally, I prefer to remain neutral in this area of debate. Because either way, death or life in prison, I see to be fit. Though lately I've seen myself swaying more towards opposition to the death penalty. Not because I think it's inhumane in any way. I couldn't care less about that issue-it's not like we're killing off some innocent person. It's more or less the fact that it's almost like being let off the hook. If a pessimistic criminal who has gone as far to violate laws leading him to either life without parrol or capital punishment, which do you really think they will find easiest? See, when we use capital punishment what we're basically doing is letting them evade the situation. I'm not some morbid person who wants them to suffer or something, but isn't that essentially the point of such [besides bordering them from the public]? I myself think their personal debt is better paid in a life sentence.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.