Kingdom Hearts "The closer you get to the Light, the greater your shadow becomes".

Discussion in 'Kingdom Hearts HD I.5 ReMIX' started by Excasr, Nov 11, 2011.

1. Excasr The Forgotten XIII

When you're in the beginning of Kingdom Hearts I, when you're about to fight with Darkside for the first time, you hear something like:

The closer you get to the Light... the greater your shadow becomes.

What exactly this means? What is the mean of this phrase?

NOTE: Physically, I know that if you get close your shadow will become "greater", I am asking about this phrase's meaning.

Any thoughts?

2. Iskandar King of Conquerors

I think it's basically saying that the closer you get to the light, either literal or not, the more powerful your opponent might be. Like in the next few games, if they were to get closer to helping out Terra/Aqua/Ven, they would also be closer to dealing with Xehanort, who's the biggest shadow of all

3. Boy Wonder Dark Phoenix in Training

I figured it meant the risk of becoming corrupted like Master Xehanort, Riku, and Terra. All three were chosen by the Keyblade in some form, but they were all seduced by darkness.

4. Kayate King's Apprentice

I interpreted as, the closer you get to the end - To peace - The greater the opposition becomes, or the cons of peace rise.
    Like the cons of peace for Ventus, Aqua, and Terra was losing Terra and Ventus.
    Kingdom Hearts I was Riku and Mickey locking the Door to Darkness from the inside.
    Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories' turned out to be losing Sora's memories.
    Kingdom Hearts II was... That was probably the most peaceful ending.
    Etcetera

5. Beucefilous Kingdom Keeper

I think its referring to the balance between light and dark. Neither can exist without the other. Like the more light there is, the stronger the darkness. And the more darkness there is, the stronger the light.

6. Patman Bof

The closer you get to someone whose light shines brightly (or, say, someone slim), the more your own darkness (fatness) becomes apparent by contrast, to you or to others. Basically this sentence is a nudge to the Sora-Riku dynamic.

7. ShibuyaGato Transformation

This is just what I think.

First off, it's supposed to be there to foreshadow the Darkside. The whole sequence in Sora's Awakening is meant to be a mysterious introduction to an odd game.

Secondly, you know the phrase "With great power comes great responsibility".
    It means that the more power you have, the greater your temptations to be selfish will be.

Same principle. Sora is the hero of all worlds, he could easily turn evil and enslave everyone but instead he chooses to be the good guy.

8. *Moonlight* Merlin's Housekeeper

I think it means the closer you get of the confront between the light and darkness, the easier you get to change your side. After all, "the higher is, the greater the fall should be".

9. Kaidron Blaze Kingdom Keeper

The Gale Valleys, before the darkness attacks...
    I always thought the phrase spoke of the keyblade, the stronger your light is the more the darkness A.K.A the Heartless will attack you

10. Latsu7 Moogle Assistant

I'd say that the meaning of the phrase is like;
    The more you seek the power of Light, the greater the Darkness inside you becomes, therefore that would corrupt you inside out.
    That's my theory though.

11. Mixt The dude that does the thing

It is a line in the game that has annoyed me some since Sora ends up with a basic shadow for a heartless in the end.

I've heard some people claim before that it was to foreshadow Roxas, and although it makes a degree of sense I don't think it is what Nomura had in mind. At the time of Kingdom Hearts 1 nobodies weren't on the table yet, it wasn't until final mix that we learned of them.

Ironically we have evidence of the reverse happening as Sora finally finds the door to light in the Dark Margin, but there isn't a clean cut "darkness from light" Though that theme does show up gently a lot, even as recently as Birth be Sleep (Aqua at Castle of Dreams)