The best book you have ever read

Discussion in 'Literature' started by woodstockfootball26, Sep 17, 2009.

1. Ŧiмє Яǽрεѓ King's Apprentice

There are many, many good books out there, but the best one I have read as so far is 'American Gods' by Neil Gaimon. A very odd but extremely well written blend of ancient mythology from almost every major culture and the modern world.

I especially like how Gaimon always manages to make his characters believable, no matter how fantastical their situation.

2. Clawtooth Keelah se'lai!

I would have to say "The Old Kingdom Series" (Sabriel, Lireal and Abhorsen) by Garth Nix would have to be my favourites of all time. There is magic and fantasy, two thins I LOVE but it isn't like most magic, it isn't spells etc but symols and musical instruments (along with whistling and clapping when these aren't present) instead. As a musician and an artist, this really connected with me.

BTW, I found "A Series of Unfortunate Events" really disappointing. The first 12 were fine and then I read "The End" and I was like "... well that was a waste of time".

I like definitive finishes to my books damnit!

3. Shadow55551 Destiny Islands Resident

I loved Soldier's of Halla. This has to be his best book yet and I hope he does great with the others.

4. Magick ~Meaner then my demons~

I like either City of Bones, or Nightworld. Both deal with fantasy, always a fun thing to read, and both have a sense of humor that makes the characters seem real.

City of Bones deals with demons, angels and anything in between, circling around the lives of a girl, Clary, and a boy, Jace. As always, things get interesting when they meet, and both lives change forever.

Nightworld circles around different characters, usually girls, that fall in love with the wrong person, a human, or one of the Nightworlders, aka, a vampire, werewolf, shapeshifter, or witch. Both sides are forbidden to be together, and the series follows the struggle of those who find their soulmates with the opposing side. It's a lot about inner strength, and the storyline is pretty original for dealing with vampires.

5. Juicy Chaser

The Black Magician Trilogy by Trudi Canavan. Probably the most moving series I have ever read, and the storyline stayed with me for weeks after finishing the final book. Cried my eyes out at the very end xD;;

It's a wonderful mix of magic, romance, action and fantasy. To leave it brief, the story centers around a young girl from the slums named Sonea who discovers she was born with magical talents before only exclusive to the upper classes. It's brilliant ;D

6. LARiA Twilight Town Denizen

I find it difficult to choose favorites, but here are a few that I really enjoyed...

Jurassic Park, The Hot Zone, The Lovely Bones, My Sister's Keeper, and The Silence of the Lambs. I also liked The Power of Five series by Anthony Horowitz, though I never did finish it.

7. Saxima [screams geometrically]

Not sure I could pinpoint the best book I've ever read, but Pride and Prejudice was wonderful, as was Emma, and Sense and Sensibility. My mom and I both love Jane Austen.

Another good book is Split by Swati Avasthi.

8. . : tale_wind Ice to see you!

The Outsiders, by S.E. Hinton is amazing. I want to write like that. ;~;

Also amazing: The Hunger Games trilogy, by Suzanne Collins.

9. Makaze Some kind of mercenary

Here we go with this again... Let me recap for the sake of records, if nothing else. There are as much by order or preference as memory, so I may miss quite a few. Sorry about that. Please note that if a book makes it onto this list, it is one that I would read over and over again.

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss
    1984 by George Orwell
    The Giver by Lois Lowry (And really any book by her, when it comes down to it)
    Animal Farm by George Orwell
    The Magicians by Lev Grossman
    The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
    V For Vendetta (Comic) by Alan Moore
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson
    (The rest of) The Malazan Book of the Fallen (Series) by Steven Erikson
    Dragonsong by Anne McCaffrey
    Dragonsinger by Anne McCaffrey
    Dragondrums by Anne McCaffrey
    (The rest of) The Dragonriders of Pern (Series) by Anne McCaffrey (My favorite material as a twelve year old, these books; I cannot believe that I forgot them)
    Harry Potter (Series) by J. K. Rowling
    The Hobbit by J. R. R. Tolkien
    The Bourne Trilogy (Series) by Robert Ludlum

There might be more to come later, but that is all that came to mind of for what I would read again on top of calling it a favorite, given a chance.

10. Glen Returned from the dead

All time favourite book series would definately have to be The Ranger's Apprentice, although i did greatly enjoy the City of Bones.

11. Korra my other car is a polar bear dog

My favorite series has been the Star Wars: Republic Commando series; Karen Traviss does a fantastic job of bringing life to what was a FPS game.

Of the books, I'd have to say that Order 66 is my favorite. Imo it's the one that best shows the Mandalorian culture and ideas of family, brotherhood, and loyalty, and the emotions it caused me to feel were quite incredible. Suspense, mystery, sadness...more specifically, the absolute shock of
    Etain's death, moreso after the fact that she had Darman's son and was back in good terms with Kal.
    I honestly didn't expect a twist like that, and while it was intense it only reinforced the "life and death" concept in the books.

I seriously recommend them to anyone that's a Star Wars fan or has played the Republic Commando game; even if you haven't played the game the books lead up to the events in-game.

12. Stardust Chaser

I don't think there's a definitive 'best book' I've ever read, because my 'favorite' book is not on the same level, writing wise, as the 'best book' I may have read. In terms of just saying a favorite, I would have to say Uglies by Scott Westerfeld (Or Ryukishi07's When They Cry series, heh). In terms of 'best'... I'm a little torn.

Lord of the Flies by William Golding made an enormous impact on me. So did Ken Kesey's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest.
    Also this isn't a book, but I really love Dante's Divine Comedy, and I'll never ever forget Where the Red Fern Grows. I could keep listing off stuff like this for hours, to be honest.

...In the end I guess I'll have to go with Lord of the Flies simply because I remember its impact so well. I wasn't affected like that by something I'd read again until Death of a Salesman.

13. Ienzo ((̲̅ ̲̅(̲̅C̲̅r̲̅a̲̅y̲̅o̲̅l̲̲̅̅a̲̅( ̲̅̅((>

It has to be Hush, Hush! by Becca Fritzpatrick and the sequel Crescendo.

I loved them because the story was just so nice and it wasn't a typical love story with the hero and the young pretty girl. The guy was a fallen angel and the story behind it was really clever and well thought out. I thoroughly enjoyed reading them both and I recommend them, well for someone who likes these sort of books anyway.

I do love the Hunger games trilogy as well but that was more an amazing page turner, the story was great and the characters were interesting to analyse but it's not my favourite series.

14. Jin うごかないで

Hmm...Well , the best series i have ever read is the Alex Rider series , picking just one book from that is hard , i love all of them , my favourite is mostly storm breaker.
    , because its the first one in the series and it's filled with suspense , the story line is just amazing , not typical , most boys dream of being a spy but alex doesn't even want anything to do with MI6 , he'd rather be a normal school boy with a normal life.

thats all i have to say.

15. Nate_River Hollow Bastion Committee

Most probably "Back on Track: Diary of a street kid" cause that book really scared me. Not in a horrow way, but more in a "Holy **** that stuff happens" kinda way. It's the kind of book that you read, then forget about, until three months later when it randomly goes "Remember me?"

16. Kaidron Blaze Kingdom Keeper

The Gale Valleys, before the darkness attacks...
    ummmmmmmmm...... I think the Ragwitch, it was a simple storyline with sad and light hearted chapters just how I like them

17. raceing227 Destiny Islands Resident

I'd have to say it's "Hunger Journeys". It had an amazing plot, and I'd recommend it to anyone who likes to read books set in the WWII timeline.

18. Keyslinger Merlin's Housekeeper

The best book I have ever read... Hm.. As of now, it is probably "The Hunger Games" (trilogy) by Suzanne Collins. I love them to death. *sob* ;-;
    I also thought "Seeing Redd" was pretty good. Forgot the author. \(O3o)/

19. P Banned

The best book is usually the one I read most recently, and is most fresh in my mind, as it takes priority from my subjective viewpoint.

If I attempt to look for the 'best' objectively, then I run into a hurdle, because the very concept of 'best' is subjective.

In other words, I have no 'best book'.

20. Yozora Archer

Way to successfuly answer the thread's question then. I apploud you.

Anyway, my best book would be the Harry Potter books. Why? Because Those books are the only ones I remember reading. And good ones.