Traditional Art The Aspiring concept artist.

Discussion in 'Arts & Graphics' started by Exsahn, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Sanda Kingdom Keeper

You have some gorgeous work on here...wow.
    The shading is really amazing, I would say that is most definitely your strongpoint. Some of those designs are pretty crazy, you've got an amazing eye for abstract things. The keyblade designs are wonderful; they are seriously the only GOOD ones that I've ever seen. Such nice work :'D
    That last picture blew me away btw. She is lovely...
    I'd like to see more!

2. Cocohints "Up to now, the most discussed topic is global war

I missed seeing your art!! Your latest portrait looks absolutely wonderful, nice and sharp. :3 I can't really look for errors since I don't know what the photo you used for reference looks like, but the nose looks like it was a real challenge.

For now my advice for you would be:

Always loosen up when your mentor tells you something. You're not right, he/she is. >:3 That's how you learn new things and avoid being locked to what you think is right. Took me a while before I loosened up myself, heh.. ^^;

3. Shuhbooty moon child

I agree with Coco. I've miss it too!! T.T

Your artwork is just awesome. But this drawing of Utada is just beautiful! but what bugs me is the nose. It just gets to me, like it's too wide for her face. And the lips love cricked. but hey, that's just me.

But I love the eys, the keep getting to meh. <3

Awesome job, love your work, keep it up!

4. Zandyne King's Apprentice

Hello again Exsahn and welcome back from your hiatus. Anyway, onto your artwork, your most recent work is apparent of the effort you are putting forth for improving your art. You are doing a wonderful job of maintaining your artistic pace. As you probably already know, art has a very reflexive definition, I think of it as a constant journey where the 'end' is at the artist's own discretion...however this only applies as a hobby. For those who pursue a business career, they must appeal to others.

That aside, if you want a critique on your most recent work...it appears to be fine for the most part, I would suggest smoothing out the shadows especially near her chin/bottom of her face as well as tightening up some of the details such as around the roots of her hair. The clothing, unless really looked at for a longer period of time, seems fine to the casual observer, however if more detail is put into making the clothing look more definitive the payoff will be worth the final product.

As another aspiring concept artist to another this last piece advice can be taken with a grain of salt: References are fine, but you should focus on developing your own ideas and drawing those (you have shown the potential for this already, but more in this case is better). Life drawing, portraits and other such things are perfectly fine but reproducing a photo or promotional image is (in my honest opinion) not the best way to go about seeking critiques for conceptual work as you did not create them...

Regardless, I look forward to your future works.

5. Exsahn Merlin's Housekeeper

Well Zandyne I'd simply like to say you've got to start somewhere to get somewhere I'm by no means anywhere near my full potential therefore I find it quite suitable to reproduce things with my own artistic skill because that is exactly what I need to improve, my skills as an artist. I can have the best ideas in the universe but if I don't have the right skills to portray the idea in a desirable and professional fashion then I might as well have no ideas at all. I have yet to fully develop my artistic palette and until I do I probably will not do to much original conceptual work even though I am bursting with ideas. You think I enjoy reproducing things that already exist? I actually find it quite tedious and altogether a bit boring but as my mentor and many other artist have told me you either have the ability to be creative or you don't but everyone can become a great artist, master the art first then start focusing on developing your original concepts.

Having said that I think I'm getting to the point where reproducing things isn't having as great an impact on improving me or developing my eyes as it was. I will probably do some anatomical studies to start developing my sense of anatomy better and maybe some original conceptual work because I do believe that I might be at the point where reinterpreting things will develop my eye better then just observing and drawing them as I see them. it depends on what you guys think, either way I will do anatomical studies because my human anatomy is seriously lacking but depending on what type of feedback I get I may try and start putting out some original work trying to develop my conceptual skills. SO anyways expect an update later today of some artwork I haven't gotten around to posting yet :P (hee hee none of it original conceptual work unfortunately.) I appreciate the comment Zandyne! hope to here from you soon.

6. Zandyne King's Apprentice

My mistake on my odd wording, you appear to be offended in the first part...to clarify, yes, practice is good, but there is practice that requires input and there is practice that is merely for practice's sake. Usually when one practices for the input of others it is for feedback on the skill they are testing out, or at least in my experience. I would personally suggest style experimentation and posting that up, IE: pick a style (any obviously) and a reference (optional) and go from there. I find word prompts most helpful in this endeavor. Once more, try different methods of "learning", I benefited the most by studying a basic idea (in one case proportions) and trying to adhere to it, but not with pain-staking detail, but more or less with quick sketches, if you can nail down an idea with a quick sketch than the finalized idea will have a better chance of being secure....but that's my personal method.

Also just a quick and probably unnecessary throw-in, examine styles that appeal to you and try to find out why...usually there is a subconscious line of art in it that creates an aesthetically magnetic effect (one would be Da Vinci's paintings, if you look closely there is a perfect circle in the faces he paints and draws, check the eyes and follow the jaw-line of the subject you examine). Again, I look forward to your future work.

7. Exsahn Merlin's Housekeeper

My appologies Zandyne Sensei

I was overly defensive Zandyne, I hope you can forgive me for this. I have been in a slump lately and have been having serious doubts about myself as well as feeling a bit lost in what to do for my practice. Your advice is wise and very helpful indeed and as always your knowledge and experience can only help me if I choose to follow it, Therefore I shall and will listen and try what you suggest. I will do my best to take it to heart Zandyne Sensei.

To tell the truth I've been in an utterly abysmal state this whole vacation trying to think of what to do for my art all the while my heart becoming clouded with doubt and insecurity, turning me into a truly pathetic and useless heap. No more, I must push forward even through my doubts and insecurities. Please forgive my little outburst and feel free to suggest anything you think maybe useful to me everyone. ah, but I digress (hee hee <_< no I did not steal that from Axel) on wards to what I've uploaded for you all today.

[​IMG]

A picture a friend asked me to draw using my own color scheme and such. Does anyone know who she is? I'm quite curious because she seems like a very unique character.

[​IMG]

A water color landscape of Xen, one of my favorite places in any video game ever :P.

[​IMG]

A scratch board of (I think) Alcurd from Castelvania. You can almost see me in the reflection of the glass lol.

Anyways, sorry again I guess I just need a good kick in the pants and some direction. I have such a huge artblock I haven't been able to do much at all and after today theres only three days of vk left! I can't believe I wasted so much time and I don't want to waste the rest but I'm having a serious mental block.

8. Sanda Kingdom Keeper

My goodness, I love that last medium that you used...
    You're so lucky; no matter what materials you use it always ends up being beautiful. I especially am fond of your watercolor from the last post. The colors just mesh so well. I don't know what Xen is, but I bet you made it look even prettier than it already is.
    Sorry that I don't have more to offer, your work continues to astound me...
    Fabulous job.

9. Exsahn Merlin's Housekeeper

Awww thank you Sanda you continue to flatter me! I appreciate your praise a lot believe me!

10. Zandyne King's Apprentice

I take no offense, art block is as terrible as it is a universal bane to all artists. I'm fairly certain I'm cranky when I can't draw. 8D (You flatter me with the title of teacher Exsahn.) Now as for this batch!

1. The colors are vibrant and I'm not exactly sure what medium you used but there are vivid. The style is overall conveying her demeanor well, the only tweak that would be really necessary would be the lower portion which seems a bit static and out of place considering her overall attitude.

2. Wonderful composition scape, especially the cracked effect with the ground. My only grievance would be the rightmost pillar. Everything else is a wonderful blend of colors to look at.

3. I don't think I've ever worked with that medium so I feel awkward in critiquing it, the colors and forced contrast are a great exercise though.

Back to your art block, could you possibly list the art or art styles you have previously drawn inspiration from (the more detail and specific the better)? Sometimes art block can be remedied with a good surge of different creativity and artistic flair. With any luck I can possibly refer you to something a little different that can give you the little push. 8]

11. Exsahn Merlin's Housekeeper

Well in my defense on that landscape some annoying girl was doing splattering on a board and a big heaping globe of yellow paint landed smack dab on that pillar so I had to scrap it offas best I could and re-paint it in a way that kinda hid it. I was so mad about that! I wanted to tear her head off lol ohh well this is still one of my faves.

And I used water colors on the first pic! Hmm and maybe I should have made her hips cocked back and her whole body leaning forward at the viewer slightly?

Actually the only styles of art I usually get inspired from are realistic styles and anime and mixtures thereof of the two. :P heh heh is that bad?

12. Zandyne King's Apprentice

No, not at all, I actually personally prefer working in an "anime-esque" style (the way I draw certainly isn't extremely realistic). Each style has its merits obviously, but it might be easier if you have an idea on what you currently wish to pursue. I suppose I should have asked what artists you find the most inspiration from, sources or references would have been better...but eh...maybe this unprofessional, generalized listing might help....

EX (All opinionated from my perspective):
    "Shonen (Boyish) Style" such as Bleach, Naruto, Shaman King, Eyeshield21, etc.
    - leans more towards visual and exaggerated diversity, typically strong in male character concepts, usually weaker female concepts.
    -emphasis on action and strong dynamics if not a bit outlandish and over-the-top in terms of design
    (ironically the face/body structures in this genre is not as heard about or brought to the attention of those that draw the worst stereotype from the Anime style, maybe because it parallels those of the Western Style, I don't know, especially in the case of Eyeshield21 and Shaman King)

"Shoujo (Girly) Style" such as Fruits Basket, Cardcaptor Sakura, Absolute Boyfriend, etc. (sorry my Shoujo title references aren't that great)
    -pros, leans more towards fine and graceful (typically more) details defined by lighter lines
    -emphasis on visual emotions, body language and symbolism, leans more to "normal" designs
    (*I might get bad looks from this* but is the genre that most likely the "uniform" Anime stereotype came from with the large eyes and tiny mouths, truth be told I have seen it more common in the Shoujo genre than in the Shonen genre)

"Western Style" such as Disney, CN Toons, etc.
    -Characteristics drawn from interpretations, visually satirical and usually are employed through a combination of arranging set polygons and fruit in some cases (such as Disney's "cute mascots" bodies being pear shaped) to form a character's structure
    -there are usually set, almost subconsciously conditioned physical "classical" archetypes found here, such as the "bulky body, small head" buff-guy body type, "curvy, heart-shaped" beautiful dame body type and so on

Realistic
    -heavy attention to accuracy, usually emphasis or highlights are used to bring out a more "realistic" point of view, ironically some of the most "realistic" pieces are not exactly/truly realistically proportionate (Da Vinci in particular exaggerated/elongated proportions and highly defined contrasts such as muscle structures)
    -realism can still be accomplished with even small amounts or less details but these are much harder to do (making ipod silhouettes from scratch for instance)

I personally follow a select line of video game artists and the Shonen Style mainly, truth be told I admire the works of some of the Renaissance artists but I don't think I can even begin to claim I can draw realistically. I find that conceptually, artistically and creatively speaking that video game artists seem to have the best handle on "art" currently. That aside, believe it or not if you can improve the skills in one style you will be improving passively in the others even if it is just conditioning. Anyway, if you can identify with one of these it will certainly help, my apologies for not being able to list more with more diversity....

13. Exsahn Merlin's Housekeeper

[​IMG]

some practice, wow I think I might have an unhealthy obsession with hands, (I looked back through my thread and I've drawn tons of hands lol!) <_<

:P Just been dying for some comments on my latest piece so I figure I'll do a little art dump/bump in a silly little attempt to get my thread noticed lol Don't mind me I'm neurotic.

[​IMG]

This was actually the first thing I doodled during my art block, the actual drawings only about two inches tall but I enlarged it nice and big for you ^_^

[​IMG]

This is some avatar art for Gaia online that I did about six months ago I never bothered to submit it though, never thought it was good enough. You know it was just a quick freebie I randomly did when I was bored.

:P heh heh well there ya go some random crappy art works to bump up my thread <_< please focus on the post above this one though I was actually serious when I made that skull/arm drawing thing.

14. Shuhbooty moon child

O.O
    I can't take this anymore! My eyes are not worthy for you work! I mean, they make me gasp and, so speechless!!! Dx

There so beautiful! I just love them! Make me work as hard, just to get better myself. Dx

15. Zandyne King's Apprentice

*To the batch of 4-5-08*

For the charcoal (I'm assuming) arm and skull the details are fine, however try to tighten them up around the outside for a greater effect. I have also tried mimicking the pose you have for the hand and cannot seem to achieve it for better accuracy critique but I will continue regardless. This aside, it looks believable to those who are not extremely picky, I would suggest making the more distinct line or shadows on the thumb joints to define the bend. The main veins along the arm are excellent however and maintaining that caliber would be greater encouraged in your arm-work.

As for the inked skull, I don't mind mixed-media but it isn't helping for this composition. Or at least the shading detail doesn't seem as well-matched to bring it together. There also seems to be some odd errors in the top jaw/part attached to the skull. Once again, try to be more confident in your stroke lines to bring out the dynamics, practice with a pen can go a long way!

Due to the fact that critique is discouraged for the last two pics, I will not critique them. However the overall critique would be that the facial proportions seem neglected as well as some details as you being to zoom out from the overall figure. You have a good sense of shading however which indicates, as said earlier, you just need to practice.

I also think you should try nailing down that specific style to work on as it'll make things much easier in terms of practice.

16. Exsahn Merlin's Housekeeper

practice stuff

Well been doing a little anatomy practice while I've been working on a long term project (something my art teacher told me to do) so I've also been working on a manga unfortunately I'm still working on the story and scripting part. I got the story figured out but still have to write up a short script for the first chapter before I can draw it up. Anyways I'm also looking for a little project to work on as well just something fun to paint or draw don't know what, any suggestions welcome.

anyways on to the practice:

Warning Nudity

http://img294.imageshack.us/img294/7585/ano1vm8.jpg

http://img227.imageshack.us/img227/1868/ano2tr2.jpg

http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/2456/ano3fk1.jpg

http://img99.imageshack.us/img99/7765/ano4hs8.jpg

I know they aren't the best but they were just some quick sketches to try and develop my anatomy more, :P I can see tons of mistakes in each but thats good cause hopefully I won't make them again :P

Ohh and Zandyne do you have a hotmail or other IM, theres a few thing I could really use help with and I think it be easier over and instant messenger.

Had to delete images due to inappropriate content