[Test Run] The Forum Family Games!

Discussion in 'Forum Families' started by Jayn, Jul 7, 2012.

1. Jayn

[​IMG]

[​IMG]INTRODUCTION

Welcome to the Forum Family Games! This is actually just a test-run, so please forgive any kinks or contradictions! In this thread (deleted atm, will be brought back at the end for suggestions), a good enough number of you showed interest so I wanted to at least give this idea a shot. The concept is simple--okay, not really. Just follow along with me and ask any quesitons that you need to.

In this event/project, forum families will compete against each other in various challenges! Each round will be judged by a panel of judges. Families will be eliminated until one family remains. I hope you guys have fun. Please remember this is a friendly competition so please don't take any eliminations super personally or go nuts on anyone. ; u ; The winner will receive this lovely pin as a prize! Now this competition is definitely worth it.

[​IMG]JUDGES

Your judges for this test run will be ... ! I don't know yet! It's open to all, and you don't have to be a forum family participant. Just be active on KHV and preferably not too new a member. As a judge, you will be expected to monitor the progress of the games and score each family respectively. All judging will take place on KHV, in this thread (instead of individual challenge threads, for now I'm going to keep everything here as to not clutter the section, since you will use your family threads to discuss the competition with each other). All I ask if that you be dedicated and post your scores on time. There will be a maximum of six judges, but it doesn't matter if there are less. If you are a judge, you cannot be a contestant.

If you want to be a judge, just post saying so or VM/PM me.

Jayn

Judge Sunrose

AndrewTemari

[​IMG]CHALLENGES

I'm not sure how many families will sign up and compete, so I'm not exactly sure how many challenges to have for the test run. I have a list of random challenges thought up already. I'm sure if this becomes and actual thing, we can have challenge suggestions. In usual cases, I was planning on always giving you guys and idea (really brief descriptions) of what the challenges will be before the games even start in case it would help those of you in multiple families pick which one to compete with, or if it would motivate some of you to start new families for the games. (For example, if a lot of the challenges listed were based off of Spongebob, someone may want to start a family before the start of the games dedicated to Spongebob.)

However, since I'm not sure, I'll have to update with the challenges (and number of challenges) after sign ups are over. They will be listed in this section after sign ups! I can promise you that for the test-run, there will be no particular theme to the challenges. (You guys can offer theme suggestions along with the challenge ones later if this becomes a regular thing.)

ROUND 1

August 18th - August 27th

ROUND 2

【 KH-Vadoration !

September 21st- September 28th

[​IMG]RULES & FAQ

If you are a judge, you cannot participate in the actual games.

If you are apart of multiple families, you must choose one to participate in the games with.

Only the leader of a family can enter that family into the games. If the leader of your family is no longer active on KHV, please talk to me (or make a new family with the same active people, lol.)

Families created specifically for the games should still be relevant to Forum Families. For example, if you make a family with the intention of gathering a bunch of knowledgeable or talented people into one SUPER TEAM specifically to dominate the games, you still have to follow the regular family rules and try not to exclude anyone. The family should also still be a -family-. tl ; dr be fair.

If you are a judge, please score fairly. I'll describe how to judge later on. Just...Please don't score low for stupid reasons. For example "i gave john333 a -0 becaues he didnt spell 'juggle' correctly". That's dumb. Be smart. Don't be stupid.

Please try to be nice and understanding to each other! If you're eliminated, or someone in your family doesn't want to participate, or whatever whatever, be niiice. Hopefully, if this turns out, there will be more than one competition and plenty of opportunities to compete along side your friends or aim for the win again. Similarly, if you win DON'T BE A ******. Nobody likes a show off! Saying things such as "oh we're da bestz family ever bcuz we won dis challenge hurrderrr all of u guys sux" = no. ;__; LOVE EACH OTHER. Be a good sport!

Meet the deadline of the challenge. Try to think ahead. I want to say that if you don't meet the deadline, your family is eliminated, but that doesn't seem fair either. Ask for an extension AHEAD OF TIME if you need it, and I will most likely grant it. It's when you don't ask for one that it becomes a problem. I will not wait for you. Meaning that if the deadline passes and no one has asked for an extension, we're moving on.

What's this about scoring? How exactly does judging work?

Ah, judging. Okay. So the way that this will work is that the judges will be grading based off of:

Interpretation: (Their interpretation of the challenge. How well they followed the guidelines or theme of the challenge.)
    Creativity: (...Kind of self explanatory. How creative were they with the way they did things?)
    Effort: (How much effort does it look like they put into the challenge as a team?)
    Product: (Overall, how did the finished product/result come out? Like it, didn't like it?)
    Total: (Count up the overall score.)
    Comments: (Anything you'd like to say to the family about their work?)

For each category/section, the maximum you can get is twenty. At the end, all total scores will be calculated. Those with the highest number score will move on to the next challenge.

What if I want to enter my family, but some of my family members don't want to participate?

Tough luck--I KID, I KID. You can join your family, even if not EVERYONE will participate. There's no number of members your family has to have! ...Well, actually, it should probably be more than one person. v:

I'm not apart of a forum family, but I want to participate. ;_;

I suggest making your very own forum family! If you're not interested in doing that or don't think anyone will join, how about joining someone else's? We have this nifty Adoption Center you can check out! It has descriptions of the active families on KHV right in the opening post, so you can find your perfect fit.

[​IMG]PARTICIPANTS

If you would like to participate, all you (the leader of said family) have to do is post here saying so! Make sure you discuss it with your family! If you are not the leader but have the leader's permission, that's fine too. c: Good luck! The deadline to sign up is July 15th! That way you have all of that time to figure things out and talk to your families.

Project Nocturne

I.N.V.S.P

Kuroshitsuji Family

D.O.O.D.S

2. Krowley Moderator

3. Judge Sunrose Destiny Islands Resident

Forget everything I said back there on the Interest Check. No more integration! Discord rules!

Now, seriously. I'm living up to my username! Sign Judge in for Judge. I think the Beanseys can do fine without me, should they "compete".

Although I'm a mediocre everything, I can be a terrific/terrifying critic. I'll be sure to try my best.

4. Midnight Star Master of Physics

I would like to enter the I.N.S.V.P for the games~

5. Daxa~ #stalker

I shall be entering the lovely Kuroshitsuji Family~ for the games <3

6. Lite The Future

7. Jayn

Looks like we have an even number here. Good luck to you all. I'm going to go ahead and bump the round dates up one so I have time to post the first round without you guys having a disadvantage! I will unlock/bump when posting Round 1. Get readdddy!

Edit; Keep tight. I keep being busy. ; ;

8. Jayn

ROUND 1
    【Song Bird Lamentasia !
    August 18th - August 27th

[​IMG]OPENING NOTE //.

Hello, I am finally back from my trip, yes, so it is time to start the Hunger Games FFG! First off, thank you all for your wonderful patience, it's greatly appreciated. Secondly, I would like all of the judges to confirm that they're still up for judging. If you don't remember if you signed up for judging or not, then please check the OP. There's still one more slot so if anyone would like to judge with us, please let me know before the first round is to be judged!

I also suggest those of you who are leading your teams to victory this FFG take a tally of who is actually participating in your family and how many and then get back to me like that so I can plan future challenges accordingly.

[​IMG]CHALLENGE //.

For Round One I have a pretty easy thing for you guys considering all of the recent changes to the site and such. I would like for you as a team to find ONE song on Youtube that you all agree on as a team embodies massive amounts of sadness. In other words, find a sad song and post it here. This song must be in English, have English subtitles, or have no singer at all. You can only submit one song and the song must be in it's original language. No adaptions.

You may not submit someone another team has already submitted, meaning that if a team submits a song first, you can not re-submit their song. This song must be sad to the point of the judges actually feeling something from it. Any genre so long as it embodies sadness. You as a team must discuss in your family thread what song you would like to submit. Everyone can offer a suggestion, but the team leader (head of the family) will be the one to post it. It a group effort meaning that you all must agree to put that song forth as your Round One Entry

Along with the YT video, your family must come up with a reason why you think the song embodies sadness and what makes it so sad.

Please remember how the judges will be scoring your entry and try to do the best in all of those fields!

Remember, one entry as a FAMILY. You all should be helping your family decide on which song they would like to pick and offering up suggestions, but there is only one entry that will be posted here per group. Also, please remember the deadline. You may submit your entry whenever you'd like!

[​IMG]EXAMPLE ENTRY //.

For Round One, Jayn's Family has decided to submit Me and My Friend Unicorn for our entry. We think that this is a sad song because it's talking about how sad it is to touch the horn of a unicorn. The melody is sad, and the singers voice captures all of the frustration that the Unicorn is feeling in it's life. We hope you judges feel the same.

[​IMG]CLOSING NOTE //.

Clearly that example would be the winner of this round, so I'm sorry for stealing away such a fitting song! (For those of you immune to sarcasm, that was sarcasm.)

That entry would actually not work because it's not the original one, it's a cover. v: So be careful.

If you have any questions, message me! Good luck to you all!

9. Heart ❤ Enjoy every moment with all ya got

I am posting to confirm that I am still a judge <3

And luckily I will be home from Canada by the 27th so I am happy to still be able to judge this ^_^ I wish all families the best of luck <3

10. Judge Sunrose Destiny Islands Resident

Presence confirmed. I'll be going through the judging parameters again, just to be well prepared.

Good luck, everyone.

11. Itachilives Gummi Ship Junkie

I am ready to judge ... beware lol

12. Beau Hollow Bastion Committee

Oh my, pardon me! This almost slipped my mind.

Andrew, tuning in!

13. Lite The Future

Alrighty, the D.O.O.D.S have decided on their entry, here it is:

Also, here is the summary of the song:

This song tells the story of a girl who has nothing as a thief and gets pulled out of it by someone she barely knew. After a long while of knowing the man, she makes a mistake and lets her old instincts take over her again, not unlike somebody suffering from an addiction.
    Her actions cause the man, whom she now sees as her only family in the world, to have no choice but to act on it, despite the affection he clearly feels for her, and she's forced to slay him in a duel that he handicapped himself for anyway.
    In the end, the "invincible soldier" allowed himself to be killed by the girl, his pupil, simply because he couldn't bare the thought of killing her himself, and now she would have to live with that guilt and loss for the rest of her life, being alone all over again.

14. Korosu Kingdom Keeper

Posting in place of Daxa since she isn't here today. I hope you don't mind, sweetie. Bluh.

The Kuroshitsuji Family has decided to submit "Our Parting Meal" as our entry! We feel as if this piece oozes sadness and despair!

I'm happy to have met you,to have made a friend worth risking my life for. Have you ever had a friendship like that? A friendship where you're like two different sides on the same coin. So different, yet still so similar? Sometimes it's like you're both from two different worlds. But that friend is somewhere worth living for? Arashi no Yoru Ni is a stunningly beautiful movie, describing that type of friendship. This little piece is a touching moment in the movie that brings "ALL THE FEEEEEELS" out of the viewer. We highly recommend you watch this movie, it's really an adorable little masterpiece that deserves more attention.

"Everything eventually ends, but the fact that we became friends will never disappear."

15. Krowley Moderator

Entry for PROJECT【 ♫ 】NOCTURNE

Summary:
    The translated lyrics depict the difficulty of growing up from the youth point of view. Leaving behind all your childhood memories and regrets. The imagery in the song itself just empowers the feeling of being alone and the pain received knowing that your hopes will end up being abandoned.
    "The bright days of boyhood are gone. Dry reality pierces in front of my eyes"
    The lyrics that best summarize the song of having to deal with the thought of departing with your creative childlike wonder in place of a harsh, everyday reality. Something we deal with at one point or another in our lives, but this melody really draws out the sadness of it all.

16. Jayn

One more hour !!

17. Jayn

And that's that! The judging can now commence. Deadline for judging is the 30th.

18. Judge Sunrose Destiny Islands Resident

Expect low scores, as I'm not that big of a fan of japanese music. No, seriously, I'm really not, even though that shan't interfere with my judgement. Am I the only one here like this?

_D.O.O.D.S.
    Interpretation: 12/20. While I do agree that the song is VERY sad, its entirety did not appear to be a possible embodyment of deep sorrow or the like, to me. You see, the lyrics alone couldn't provide me enough of a sad feeling for the whole thing to be it.
    Creativity: 17/20. You did a great job in terms of boldness by selecting a fast-paced and violent-ish song. I was very much intrigued by the description.
    Effort: 14/20. A debate arose in the family, I see effort put in that. Regardless, there were no alternatives to the final choice, but I don't know if this can be righteously counted as a negative aspect.
    Product: 13/20. Bluntly speaking, only 10% of it came off to me as actually sad. But man, what a 10%... ;_; I was extremely moved by the ending, after some good 4 minutes of skepticism.
    Total: 56/80 or 14/20, depending on how Jayn wants it.
    Comments: You could have been more careful with your choice, in my opinion.

_Kuroshitsuji
    Interpretation: 20/20. Oh sweet harmonies, how melancholic... Not much else to put here, you picked a truly sad song.
    Creativity: 19/20. A song picked from a movie soundtrack was commendable. +Points for the interesting and marvelous description.
    Effort: 20/20. Multiple suggestions, common interest, et cetera. I mean, you even watched/streamed the movie for it.
    Product: 18/20. I have a soft spot for this type of music. So beautiful, yet saddening. A teensy weensy repetitive, though.
    Total: 77/80 or 19/20.
    Comments: Exceptional piece. Well done, I felt it right in the heart. *sob*

_Project Nocturne
    Interpretation: 20/20. Same as Kuroshitsuji's.
    Creativity: 17/20. Concise description, good song choice, and uh, yeah, not much for me to say...
    Effort: 12/20. Nope, couldn't see it very well. I'll score it average just because it was not completely neglected, or so it seems.
    Product: 19/20. Great song, incredibly moving. I only disliked some vocal effects. Also, the "Mediocre me" part really struck a chord here... *sob* Gah! Stop making me almost cry, guys. ._.
    Total: 68/80 or 16/20.
    Comments: Inside, I wept like that violin. Just not outside, that would be unmanly of me.

WHY DID IT HAVE TO BE SO DEPRESSING? D':>

19. Beau Hollow Bastion Committee

D.O.O.D.S

Interpretation [ 16/20 ]: I feel that you understood the challenge well and it showed, that song was incredibly heart-wrenching and touching. However, I do feel the music was a little too... "upbeat" (pardon the horrible wording) for my taste, at least until the end. That moment really got me. ;-;
    Creativity [ 19/20 ]: You took a big risk with this song, at least in my eyes. Usually sad songs are slow, but this song was very different! It was fast-paced, and quick, and I was really pleasantly surprised by that. Well done!
    Effort [ 17/20 ]: I did see some small discussion going on about the choice when DT posted it. Even though some thought the melody was too fast, no other suggestion was brought up. Everybody just nodded their head, gave a little opinion, and agreed. That really brought your score done.
    Product [ 19/20 ]: This song was simply beautiful. The story was intricately woven and the art was lovely! Though I did find the music too quick, the overall video compensated for it ten-fold! A very, great job done you guys!
    Total: [ 70/80 (approximately equal to) 18/20 ]
    Comments:You all took a big risk, and I admire that, though the risk may not have been the best...

Kushitsuji

Interpretation [ 18/20 ]: Out of all three participants this round, you interpreted this challenge the best. The song was indeed sad, in fact, the one that made me cry the most out of all of them!
    Creativity [ 18/20 ]: You also took a risk, in my eyes, with a song that has no words. Usually sad songs have words to portray the story but, obviously, this is a movie soundtrack and was playing in the background during a sad scene. This was bold, and unexpected, but it didn't completely blow me out of the water.
    Effort [ 19/20 ]: I definitely saw some effort going into this choice. I saw three song choices, so having that pool was very good. The reason you didn't get a perfect 100% was because the decision I felt was kind of... rapid. Let me explain: you all had three songs to choose from, but it was pretty evident that this song was going to be chosen. But when Kelly said, "GUYS. IT'S DUE TODAY. ;_; ARE WE GOING TO POST IT OR NOT? :C", it made me feel that the final decision was rushed. :c
    Product [ 20/20 ]: The song was absolutely marvelous, I simply loved it! I haven't the slightest what this movie is about, or what happened in it, but I began to cry halfway through. The song is soft, yet powerful, and literally brought me to tears for the rest of it (my sister came in and was wondering what I could possibly be crying about, lol). This was an incredible choice to make, and a wise one at that!
    Total: [ 75/80 (approximately equal to) 19/20 ]
    Comments: This entry was the best in my opinion: creative, powerful, stunning, just an overall great choice!

Project Nocturne

Interpretation [ 18/20 ]: I feel that your song was very touching, and that you greatly understood the challenge at hand.
    Creativity [ 16/20 ]: Out of all three contestants, your submission was the least creative. It was what I expected when I saw this challenge, and didn't really surprise me that much. The song itself is lovely, don't get me wrong, but it wasn't very shocking is all.
    Effort [ 13/ 20 ]: There was absolutely no discussion whatsoever in the choosing of this song, at least in the thread, which scored you low. However, I did see some suggestions in the thread, which is good, because (as I said for Kushitsuji) it's good to have choice.
    Product [ 19/20 ]: I found this song to be very moving, because I really felt for Luka and her missed opportunities. It demonstrates how life can pass you by, and you need to take every chance you get to improve yourself, which hits home for me and made the song even more meaningful. An excellent choice, I loved it!
    Total: [ 66/80 (approximately equal to) 17/20 ]
    Comments: This song was indeed sad and had me crying like a baby. ;_; Plus Vocaloid just makes everything better. <3

I really enjoyed this as the first challenge, though it did make me cry

on several occasions... ; - ;

20. Jayn

D.O.O.D.S

Interpretation: {15/20} I feel as though you understood the challenge, but may have overlooked/misunderstood part of the description, which was to make us feel something. A big part of feelings being inspired by a song is, unfortunately, the actual mood and pacing of the song. Personally, the melody and beat was much too ... Uppity for me to really sink into eternally despair. The story was very sad, but the actual music behind it didn't really invoke much in myself personally.
    Creativity: {18/20} I feel your song choice was swell in terms of not being like ... generic. You could have picked My Heart Will Go On, loooool. So very good.
    Effort: {14/20} Agreeing with the above. Instead of just going along with things, it would have been really great to see some more communication and in-depth discussion before settling on a choice. But I do appreciate that you guys -picked- something.
    Product: {13/20} All together, it was okay. I wasn't particularly thrown off the boat impressed, but it wasn't 'wat is this even', either! So I originally gave you have. 10/10. Added three points for love.
    Total: 60/80
    Comments: Good luck!

The Kuroshitsuji Family

Interpretation: {19/20} Very good.
    Creativity: {19/20} Very good. I loved your description. Very creative indeed.
    Effort: {20/20} I really admire you stepping in for Daxa, Kelly. I think that's what shows a truly strong family. Being able to support each other, and everyone being able to depend on one another. It's really sweet. That alone is enough to make me want to cry. That added onto the movie watching, that's afihaiora. You guys are adorable.
    Product: {19/20} The song in itself is actually pretty bitter-sweet to me. It's not heart-wrenching despair, even with some of the sad tones. I think in context it might mean more to me. I've never seen the movie. But the piece alone is very ... tear-jerking, but almost in a pleasant way. That being said, it's a very bold choice. I think that's one of the biggest bummers about sadness. It tends to be an up and down thing.
    Total: 77/80

Project Nocturne

Interpretation: {17/20} I feel you guys understood the challenge. The song was sad enough. It kind of reminds me of Goodbye to Alice.
    Creativity: {12/20} Vocaloid is both a bold choice and a comfort zone for some people. So I'm half/half with this. The description was nice, but basic.
    Effort: {10/20} I feel like the effort was minimal. That being said, I know you're only running with two people? Even so, whoever is leading the family could have done a lot more. You could send out a mass conversation on KHV to all of the family members asking for help or for people to get involved. You could reach out to those family members. I mean, that's what makes it a family. Not doing everything on your own. Coming together, and asking for help when you need it. That, paired with the fact that you guys got started way late in the game, is why this score is so low. There could have been a lot more effort put into it, that just wasn't there for me.
    Product: {19/20} The song choice -was -good. It was sad.
    Total: 58/80

Overall winner will be announced shortly, stay tuned!